Finding the absolute minimum of a function in R2

In summary: Alternatively, you could have written x2 + y2 - 2x + 4y - 1, and solved for x and y using the equation for the sum of squares. In summary, the attempt at a solution provided did not work. Homework Statement Use technique of completing squares to Show that this function has an absolute minimum.f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 − 2x + 4y + 1
cantidosan

Homework Statement

Use technique of completing squares to Show that this function has an absolute minimum.
f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 − 2x + 4y + 1

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure how completing the squares will indicate an absolute minimum.Is there some additional reasoning required?

The Attempt at a Solution

Having completed the square i arrived at this equation.
(x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 = 4
Again,all i can extrapolate from this is the center point of an obvious circle of radius 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
cantidosan said:

Homework Statement

Use technique of completing squares to Show that this function has an absolute minimum.

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure how completing the squares will indicate an absolute minimum.Is there some additional reasoning required?

(x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 = 4
Again,all i can extrapolate from this is the center point of an obvious circle of radius 4.

There is no way you could have arrived at the equation ##(x-1)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 4## if you had done correct work. Show your steps.

cantidosan said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 = 4
But that doesn't answer the question.
By completing the square, you can rewrite the formula for f(x, y). From that, it's not hard to show that this function has an absolute minimum.

Last edited:
cantidosan said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 = 4

There is no equation here. You want the minimum of the function (x-1)^2+(y+2)^2-4. What might that be? How small can (x-1)^2 and (y+2)^2 be?

Ray Vickson said:
There is no way you could have arrived at the equation ##(x-1)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 4## if you had done correct work. Show your steps.
Perhaps it was a typo on your part,because my solution was (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2, I have done it several times.However if it is still incorrect I'm more than willing to attempt to complete the square again.
The issue of using this new version of the function to find the absolute minimum, The first thing that comes to mind would be to substitute the values (0,0) into the function.Am I on the right path?

cantidosan said:
Perhaps it was a typo on your part,because my solution was (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2, I have done it several times.However if it is still incorrect I'm more than willing to attempt to complete the square again.
The issue of using this new version of the function to find the absolute minimum, The first thing that comes to mind would be to substitute the values (0,0) into the function.Am I on the right path?

The function f(x,y) is NOT equal to (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2. What IS it equal to?

Ray Vickson said:
The function f(x,y) is NOT equal to (x-1)^2 + (y+2)^2. What IS it equal to?

Here are the steps i went through to arrive at my new version of f(x,y).
Given :f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 − 2x + 4y + 1
By taking the half the coefficients of (-2x) and (4y) then squaring them to find the missing values for (__) within the brackets.
(x^2 - 2x + __ )+ (y^2 + 4y + __) = -1

which gave me

(x^2 -2x +1) + (y^2 +4y +4) = -1

Then adding both 1 and 4 to the LHS of the equation to get

(x^2 -2x +1) + (y^2 +4y +4) = -1 + 1 + 4
thus
(x - 1)^2 + (y+2)^2 =4

where did i go wrong?

cantidosan said:
Here are the steps i went through to arrive at my new version of f(x,y).
Given :f(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 − 2x + 4y + 1
By taking the half the coefficients of (-2x) and (4y) then squaring them to find the missing values for (__) within the brackets.
(x^2 - 2x + __ )+ (y^2 + 4y + __) = -1
The step above is wrong. You are tacitly assuming that f(x, y) = 0 to get this equation. There is no reason to make this assumption. Work with the expression x2 + y2 - 2x + 4y + 1. When you add something to the x- or y-terms, subtract the same amount to get a new expression that is equal to the one you started with.

cantidosan said:
which gave me

(x^2 -2x +1) + (y^2 +4y +4) = -1

Then adding both 1 and 4 to the LHS of the equation to get

(x^2 -2x +1) + (y^2 +4y +4) = -1 + 1 + 4
thus
(x - 1)^2 + (y+2)^2 =4

where did i go wrong?

Mark44 said:
The step above is wrong. You are tacitly assuming that f(x, y) = 0 to get this equation. There is no reason to make this assumption. Work with the expression x2 + y2 - 2x + 4y + 1. When you add something to the x- or y-terms, subtract the same amount to get a new expression that is equal to the one you started with.

Taking what you said into consideration;
given f(x,y): x^2 -2x +1 +y^2 +4y

The completed square should look like this -> f(x,y)= (x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 - 4

Assuming this holds,
intuitively it seems the smallest possible value would occur at (1,-2). which results in -4 being the absolute minimum.?

cantidosan said:
Taking what you said into consideration;
given f(x,y): x^2 -2x +1 +y^2 +4y

The completed square should look like this -> f(x,y)= (x-1)^2 +(y+2)^2 - 4

Assuming this holds,
intuitively it seems the smallest possible value would occur at (1,-2). which results in -4 being the absolute minimum.?
Yes.

Thank you all.

Related to Finding the absolute minimum of a function in R2

1. What is the definition of an absolute minimum in a function?

An absolute minimum in a function is the lowest possible value that the function can reach over its entire domain. It is the point at which the function is at its lowest point and cannot go any lower.

2. How is the absolute minimum of a function in R2 different from a local minimum?

The absolute minimum is the lowest point in a function over its entire domain, while a local minimum is the lowest point within a specific interval or region. The absolute minimum is the overall lowest point, while a local minimum can occur multiple times within a function.

3. What is the process for finding the absolute minimum of a function in R2?

The process for finding the absolute minimum of a function in R2 involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, setting them equal to zero, and solving for the critical points. Then, the critical points are evaluated to determine which one is the absolute minimum.

4. Can a function in R2 have more than one absolute minimum?

No, a function in R2 can only have one absolute minimum. This is because the absolute minimum is the lowest point in the function over its entire domain, so there can only be one overall lowest point.

5. How does the shape of a function's graph in R2 relate to the location of its absolute minimum?

The shape of a function's graph in R2 can provide clues about the location of its absolute minimum. For example, if the graph is concave up, the absolute minimum will be at the bottom of the curve. If the graph is concave down, the absolute minimum will be at the top of the curve. However, this is not always the case and the exact location of the absolute minimum must be determined through mathematical calculations.