Finding the 10 lowest energy levels

In summary, the best way to solve this problem is to use the code that was provided and to calculate the energy for each integer.
Mason Smith

Homework Statement

upload_2019-1-23_20-1-3.png

Homework Equations

upload_2019-1-23_20-1-30.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2019-1-23_20-1-58.png

I understand the equation, and I understand the concept. My question is this: What is the best way to go about solving this problem? My line of reasoning concludes that the fourth lowest energy level is E211. However, the fourth lowest energy level is E113. Is there a code that I could write that would show the result of trying every integer for the three quantum numbers?

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-23_20-1-3.png
    upload_2019-1-23_20-1-3.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 540
  • upload_2019-1-23_20-1-30.png
    upload_2019-1-23_20-1-30.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 533
  • upload_2019-1-23_20-1-58.png
    upload_2019-1-23_20-1-58.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 693
Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly write a code to do this. You could just calculate the energy for, say n1, n2, n3 <10, then order them from lowest to highest. Do you have any coding experience? If not, this would be a good learning project. I would recommend Python for doing this. This site has a good online tutorial for learning Python.

Likes Mason Smith
phyzguy said:
You could certainly write a code to do this. You could just calculate the energy for, say n1, n2, n3 <10, then order them from lowest to highest. Do you have any coding experience? If not, this would be a good learning project. I would recommend Python for doing this. This site has a good online tutorial for learning Python.
I have some coding experience with Python. I will be sure to look at the site that you mentioned. Thank you for the suggestion! How would you recommend starting the code?

Mason Smith said:
I have some coding experience with Python. I will be sure to look at the site that you mentioned. Thank you for the suggestion! How would you recommend starting the code?

This is pretty simple code. Rather than me writing it for you, I suggest you make an attempt, post it here (use the code tags - see the + sign above and the example below) and we will critique it for you.

Python:
print("Hello world")

Likes berkeman and Mason Smith
phyzguy said:
This is pretty simple code. Rather than me writing it for you, I suggest you make an attempt, post it here (use the code tags - see the + sign above and the example below) and we will critique it for you.

Python:
print("Hello world")
Alright. That sounds fair. I think that I will attempt the code this weekend, but in the meantime, I made a list of numbers in Microsoft Excel, then computed the 10 lowest energy levels (i.e., the 10 least multiples of E0). It provided the correct answer.

Related to Finding the 10 lowest energy levels

1. What is the significance of finding the 10 lowest energy levels?

Finding the 10 lowest energy levels is important in understanding the behavior and properties of a system, as these levels determine the stability and reactivity of molecules and atoms. It can also provide insight into the electronic structure and bonding of a material.

2. How do scientists determine the 10 lowest energy levels?

Scientists use various theoretical and experimental methods to calculate or measure the energy levels of a system. These can include quantum mechanical calculations, spectroscopy, and other techniques.

3. Why do some systems have more than 10 energy levels?

The number of energy levels in a system is determined by its complexity and the number of particles involved. Some systems, such as large molecules or complex atoms, can have hundreds or even thousands of energy levels.

4. Can the 10 lowest energy levels change over time?

Yes, the energy levels of a system can change due to external factors such as temperature, pressure, or chemical reactions. In addition, quantum mechanical effects can cause energy levels to shift over time.

5. How can the knowledge of the 10 lowest energy levels be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding the 10 lowest energy levels can have practical applications in fields such as material science, chemistry, and electronics. It can help in designing new materials, predicting chemical reactions, and developing more efficient electronic devices.