Confusion Over Same Energy Level Transitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of energy level transitions and the statement in the text that transitions between the same energy levels always produce the same frequency emission. The participants of the conversation are seeking clarification on how this occurs and how to calculate the wavelength in this case. It is concluded that the statement in the text may be misleading and that what is actually meant is that transitions between two given energy states always result in the same frequency. The participants also discuss the possibility of the states being degenerate.
LMarie

Homework Statement

This is more of an understanding issue than a homework problem, but if I don't understand, I can't prepare for homework. With regard to energy level transitions, the text states almost as an afterthought that "Transitions between the same energy levels always produce the same frequency emission. The frequency is the cause of visible color." And, that's ALL it states about that issue...end of story.

First, I never considered same energy-level transitions. I understand transitions above then back to ground state. In transitions to the same energy level, does the electron gain only enough energy to jump to a degenerate orbital? Are they using the term "color" loosely? If I use the same energy level in n and n', Rydberg gives me zilch when calculating wavelength. If a photon is released, there must be a wavelength. How is it determined and why would the frequency emission be the same in every single case of same energy level transitions? I feel like I've totally missed the boat after those two "oh-by-the-way" type sentences.

Homework Equations

1/l = R [(1/n'^2)-(1/n^2)] although I don't think this equation will apply here.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the text itself, so I don't have an explanation. I'm looking for the explanation as to how a same energy level transition occurs and how a frequency would be generated. I'm assuming the e- absorbs a little energy, but not enough to throw it into a higher E level, and when that energy is released, a photon is emitted, but why are all those absorbed energies assumed to be the same in order for them to generate the exact same frequency in every case as the text states? How would one calculate a wavelength?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is a case of unfortunate wording and that what is intended is to say that transitions between two given energy states always results in same frequency. "The same" then refers to the fixing of the states rather than the states being degenerate.

That's my brain! It's like a ball of yarn in there. Thank you so much for that clarification. I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Related to Confusion Over Same Energy Level Transitions

What is "Confusion Over Same Energy Level Transitions"?

"Confusion Over Same Energy Level Transitions" is a phenomenon where there is uncertainty or misunderstanding surrounding the transitions between energy levels in a system.

What causes confusion over same energy level transitions?

Confusion over same energy level transitions can be caused by a variety of factors, such as complex energy level diagrams, overlapping energy levels, or lack of understanding of the underlying physics concepts.

Why is it important to understand same energy level transitions?

Understanding same energy level transitions is crucial in many fields of science, as it allows for accurate predictions and explanations of the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other systems. It also plays a key role in the development of technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.

How can one overcome confusion over same energy level transitions?

One can overcome confusion over same energy level transitions by studying and gaining a deeper understanding of the underlying physics concepts, using visual aids such as energy level diagrams, and seeking help from experts or resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

Are there any practical applications of same energy level transitions?

Yes, same energy level transitions have various practical applications, including in the development of lasers, LED lights, and other optoelectronic devices. They are also important in fields such as spectroscopy, where they are used to identify and study different substances based on their unique energy level transitions.