Finding θ That Balances the Electrical Forces

In summary: So the discrete values of q3 are basically just for the sake of the original problem. Now I'll just plug in the values and solve for θ. Thank you!In summary, the problem involves finding the values of θ for which electron 2 is held in place by charged ions 3 and 4, with a maximum charge of 5e. By setting the net force on q2 equal to 0 and solving for cosθ, it is found that q3 and q4 must be identical negative charges in order for the net force to be 0. Therefore, the possible values of q3 are -e, -2e, -3e, and -4e. By plugging in these values and
Legaldose

Homework Statement

Figure 21-34 shows electrons 1 and 2 on an x axis
and charged ions 3 and 4 of identical
charge q and at identical
angles θ. Electron 2 is free to
move; the other three particles
are fixed in place at horizontal
distances R from electron 2 and
are intended to hold electron 2 in
place. For physically possible values
of q [itex]\leq[/itex] 5e, what are the (a)
smallest, (b) second smallest, and
(c) third smallest values of θ for
which electron 2 is held in place?

Homework Equations

Fx,2,net= F21 - cosθ(F24+F23)

2y = The distance from q3 and q4

I created a FBD for q2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I derived the above equation from the sum of the forces in the x direction. I'm trying to solve for cosθ, and the equation I ended up with is:

cosθ = (-e/2q3)1/3

I know that θ≥0 because q3 and q4 can't occupy the same space.

I also know that in order for F2,net to equal zero, F21 must equal cosθ(F24+F23).

Therefore: kq1q2/R2 = cosθ[(kq2q4)+(kq2q3)/(R2+y2)]

..and that's where I get lost. I end up with the cosθ equation from above. I feel like I should be taking a derivative. Perhaps δθ/δq3. Could someone please point me in the right direction. I tried working on it for quite some time but now my ADHD meds are wearing off and I'm about to take a nosedive directly into keyboard land. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equation for cos(theta). Think what values q can have. Can an ion be charged with a fraction of the elementary charge e? Can be q positive? ehild

Okay, I understand that, so what i did was find out what θ would be if q3 were certain integer values under 5e. I set up a table, and now I'm trying to figure out what F2,net is going to be with that value of q3 and θ. But I've been ending up with the answers in terms of R2. How would I go about solving for that? Thanks for your help by the way.

The problem asks the possible values of theta. You get it from the equation cosθ = (-e/2q3)1/3. Why do you want to find the value of the force?

ehild

Because it's asking for what values of θ is q2 held in place. So F2,net would need to be 0 at those particular θ's

Okay, I might have gotten my answers. What I did was to solve for F2,net, plugging in the values of q3 and θ into it. But what I found is that for each discrete value of q3, the net force on q2 was 0.

for example, if

q3 = e

→ θ ≈ 37.467o

and solving for F2,net

F2,net = 0 = q1/R2 - cos3θ(2q3/R2) = -e + 1/2(2e)/R2 = 0

(Notice that I factored out coulombs constant and q2. Also notice that R2 = cos2θ(R2 + y2)

Now I could just use the lowest three values of θ for my answer, but I have an underlying suspicion that I did something wrong. Could someone please tell me if I need to rework it?
What's basically happening is that cos3θ is cancelling out the value of q3, which is making every solution (-e + e)/R2, which is obviously 0.

You got the equation cosθ = (-e/2q3)1/3 from the condition that F2,net=0. Why is it surprising that F2net really zero? q3 and q4 are identical charges and they must be negative otherwise the total force on electron2 can not be zero.

q3=q4=q =-n e where n is integer and less than 5. It can be 1,2,3,4. Calculate theta for all.

ehild

I understand now! Thank you, I just wasn't connecting the fact that the cosθ equation is based on F2,net being 0, thanks. You told me exactly what I needed to hear.

Related to Finding θ That Balances the Electrical Forces

1. What is θ in terms of electrical forces?

θ, or theta, represents the angle at which two electrical forces are balanced. It is often used in physics to calculate the equilibrium point between two opposing forces.

2. How do you find θ that balances electrical forces?

To find θ, you can use the formula θ = tan-1(F1/F2), where F1 and F2 are the magnitudes of the two opposing electrical forces.

3. What is the significance of finding θ that balances electrical forces?

Finding θ allows us to understand the equilibrium point between two electrical forces and how they interact with each other. It can also help in designing and optimizing electrical systems.

4. Can θ change over time?

Yes, θ can change over time if the magnitudes of the electrical forces or their relative positions change. It is important to recalculate θ to maintain equilibrium in such cases.

5. Are there any real-world applications of finding θ that balances electrical forces?

Yes, θ is used in various real-world applications such as designing electrical circuits, determining the stability of structures, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.