Tension and Uniform Circular Motion (no r, ω, θ)

In summary: Solve the quadratic equation and see what you get.In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the measure of angle θ in a scenario where a 0.020-kg mass is attached to a 1.2-m string and moves in a horizontal circle with a constant speed of 1.50 m/s. Various equations and attempted solutions are discussed, including using the identity 1-cos^2 = sin^2 to solve the problem. It is also noted that not all problems have an analytic solution and numerical or approximate methods may be necessary.
tmanderson

Homework Statement

A 0.020-kg mass is attached to a 1.2-m string and moves in a horizontal circle with a constant speed of 1.50 m/s, as shown in the figure. What is the measure of angle θ?

Ix591dNm.png

What is given:
  • m = 0.020kg
  • v = 1.50 m/s
  • L = 1.2 m

Homework Equations

Lengths
  • L = 1.2m
  • Lsinθ = r
Forces:
  • Tx = Tsinθ = Fc
  • Ty = Tcosθ
  • T = mg/cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

4TEmGSHm.png

What would solve this:
  • atan(Fc/mg) – (Fc needs r)
  • atan(r/h) –(r is unknown, and h would require knowing θ or r)
One (of the many) attempted solutions:
  1. T = mg/cosθ
  2. Fc = Tsinθ
  3. Fc = mg/cosθ * sinθ
  4. Fc = mg*sinθ/cosθ
  5. Fc = mv2/r
  6. mv2/r = mg*sinθ/cosθ
  7. r is unknown, but r = Lsinθ
  8. mv2/Lsinθ = mg*sinθ/cosθ
  9. mv2/L = mg*sin2θ/cosθ
  10. mv2/mgL = sin2θ/cosθ
  11. v2/gL = sin2θ/cosθ

My problem continually being the sin2θ/cosθ, making that not tanθ. If there's something I missed, I feel like it might be some trig identity or sloppy algebra? Nothing came to mind immediately. Every solution path I went, I always ended up needing θ or 'r'. Would really appreciate some help with this one, as I've been consuming too much time with this single scenario. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
tmanderson said:
My problem continually being the sin2θ/cosθ, making that not tanθ.
Why would this be a problem?

Orodruin said:
Why would this be a problem?

Whoops, that should have been sin^2(θ), and my problem being that it is not tanθ (nor tan^2(θ)), and not allowing me to solve for θ with known values.

EDIT: Ah, sorry - It looks like your quote was didn't copy the formatting correctly.

tmanderson said:
Whoops, that should have been sin^2(θ), and my problem being that it is not tanθ (nor tan^2(θ)), and not allowing me to solve for θ with known values.

What is the most basic trigonometric identity you are aware of?

(That aside, why do you think everyhing should be analytically solvable?)

Orodruin said:
What is the most basic trigonometric identity you are aware of?

a^2 + b^2 = c^2 ?

Orodruin said:
(That aside, why do you think everything should be analytically solvable?)

I'm sorry, I don't think I quite get what you're asking. Can you elaborate?

tmanderson said:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2 ?
This is not a relation between trigonometric functions, but you are close.

tmanderson said:
I'm sorry, I don't think I quite get what you're asking. Can you elaborate?
Problems do not always have an analytic solution. In many interesting problems you may have to rely on approximativr or numerical methods to obtain a numerical answer. It is not the case here, but in general you should be open to he possibility.

Orodruin said:
This is not a relation between trigonometric functions, but you are close.

1 - cos^2 = sin^2 ?
1 - sin^2 = cos^2 ?

Orodruin said:
Problems do not always have an analytic solution. In many interesting problems you may have to rely on approximativr or numerical methods to obtain a numerical answer. It is not the case here, but in general you should be open to he possibility.

Ah, I understand. I don't actively think that, thought it may have come off that way. I'm revisiting math/science education (sadly, not in a classroom) for the first time in 7 years (on the math side) and 10 years (on the general science side). I never had a desire to really "dig" into math until after my schooling was over. I'm as eager as ever to learn (but realize more and more every day just how much there is) and I appreciate you pointing this out because as I've been going through my mathematics (over the past year or so) I've realized that one potential detriment to online classes or teaching yourself is that you don't have a teacher giving you insights like this.

Sorry for the long winded answer to that.

tmanderson said:
1 - cos^2 = sin^2 ?
Yes. Use this and you will have a second order polynomial in cos theta.

Related to Tension and Uniform Circular Motion (no r, ω, θ)

1. What is tension in uniform circular motion?

Tension is the force exerted by a string, rope, or any other object that is pulling on an object in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the tension is constantly changing in magnitude and direction to keep the object moving in a circular path.

2. How is tension related to centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This force is provided by the tension in the string or rope that is attached to the object. In other words, tension is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion.

3. Does the tension in a string or rope change with the speed of the object in uniform circular motion?

Yes, the tension in a string or rope changes with the speed of the object in uniform circular motion. As the speed of the object increases, the tension also increases in order to provide the necessary centripetal force to keep the object in circular motion.

4. How does the tension change if the radius of the circular path is increased in uniform circular motion?

If the radius of the circular path is increased, the tension in the string or rope will decrease. This is because a larger radius requires less centripetal force to keep the object in circular motion. As a result, the tension will decrease in order to match the reduced centripetal force needed.

5. Is tension the only force acting on an object in uniform circular motion?

No, tension is not the only force acting on an object in uniform circular motion. In addition to tension, the object may experience other forces such as friction or air resistance. These forces may impact the motion of the object and must be taken into account when analyzing uniform circular motion.