Finding tension in a string from a suspended object

In summary: But I would write the numbers with a few more decimal places to make sure you don't have rounding errors.T=?scale +Fb-mg=0T + ρgVdisp - mg=0T+ 0.060564-.51744=0T=.457NThis part looks OK, but if you're going to use g=9.8 N/kg, then you need to convert your mass to kg.Fb= ρgV1030kg/m^3(9.8)(.000006m).060564=FbThis part looks OK.mg: m=vρ 8800(.000006)=.0528 kg
cnikk15

Homework Statement

A 0.02 m x 0.01 x 0.03 block of copper (density = 8.8 g/cm3) is suspended submerged in milk (density = 1.03 g.cm3) by a string. How much tension is in the string?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought for an equation was:

T+Fb(buoyancy)-mg=0
T+ ρgVdisp-mg=0
T+60.564-58.8=0
T=-1.76N

This is definitely not the right answer, and I'm not 100% sure this is even the right equation. Can anyone please help me figure out what the tension in the string should be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Your set-up looks good. But you haven't used the right numbers. Watch the units.
If you post the details of your substitution of numbers, we can pinpoint the problem.

I would say your method is fine, but you got a bit mixed up with units.
Your dimensions are given in m, the density in g/cm3 and you appear to have used g=9.8 N/kg
You don't mention units in your calculation: I'd check.

This is what I did:

Fb (buoyancy) = ρgVdisp
Fb=1.03g/cm^3(9.8)(6cm)
Fb=60.564

mg=
ρ=m/v ⇒ m=ρv
m= 8.8(6cm)
m=52.8

Then 52.8(9.8) = 517.44

This doesn't look correct either though, so I'm not sure where to go...

I understand what y'all are saying about my units, but I'm just not sure where to fix it. Physics is DEFINITELY not my forte.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Hello and welcome to PF!

Your set-up looks good. But you haven't used the right numbers. Watch the units.
If you post the details of your substitution of numbers, we can pinpoint the problem.
This is what I did:

Fb (buoyancy) = ρgVdisp
Fb=1.03g/cm^3(9.8)(6cm)
Fb=60.564

mg=
ρ=m/v ⇒ m=ρv
m= 8.8(6cm)
m=52.8

Then 52.8(9.8) = 517.44

This doesn't look correct either though, so I'm not sure where to go...

I understand what y'all are saying about my units, but I'm just not sure where to fix it. Physics is DEFINITELY not my forte.

Last edited:
The question gave you mixed units, so it's not like you caused the problem! But you do have to be aware and recognise it when someone lese throws it at you.
I would say, the first step is to understand that all measurements and quantities have units, then to make sure you always decide what they are and write them down. (You've put units in some places, but not everywhere they're needed.)

You correctly converted 0.02m x 0.01m x 0.03m into 2 cm x 1cm x 3cm and got 6 cm3 for the volume. I would say that - at least the answer, "volume = 6 cm3"
Since the density is in g/cm3 you can use that to get the mass in grams. (And write it, "mass = 73.1g" or whatever it comes to.)
Similarly you can get the mass of water displaced, in grams. (And write, "mass of water = 5.7g" or whatever it comes to.)
And at that stage, personally I'd just work out the difference in grams. That's what the string has to lift.

Now, if you feel the need to work out the tension in Newtons, you need to think carefully, because the constant g is usually given as 9.8 N/kg not as 0.0098 N/g. So maybe you should *now* convert your grams into kg, before calculating the Newtons.

The 9.8 is the error and you used it twice in your calculations. Saving a difficult step like that to the end and doing it just once, might be better.

I expect the experts on the forum would not agree with me and would approve your "big formula" method. But for people like me who are not very good, I think it is better to work in little steps and make sure I know exactly what I'm doing at each one. To me, each little step is understandable, but a big formula is just gobbledegook I'd have to copy from somewhere else.

Here, you have the dimensions, so you can work out the volume of the block.
The block volume and density gets you the mass of the block.
The block volume and the density of water gets you the mass of water displaced, which causes the buoyant force.
The difference in these two masses is the amount the string needs to support.
Whatever mass that is, is in grams, so I convert to kg, then find the Newtons needed to lift it.

Okay, so I've started from scratch and this is what I've got. Hopefully, it looks correct!

Volume of cube = .000006m or .0006cm
Density ρ of cube = 8.8 g/cmcm3 or 8800kg/m^3
Density ρ of milk = 1.03 g/cm^3 or 1030 kg/m^3
T=?

scale +Fb-mg=0
T + ρgVdisp - mg=0
T+ 0.060564-.51744=0
T=.457N
Fb= ρgV
1030kg/m^3(9.8)(.000006m)
.060564=Fbmg: m=vρ
8800(.000006)=.0528 kg

mg= .0528(9.8)⇒.51744

cnikk15 said:
Okay, so I've started from scratch and this is what I've got. Hopefully, it looks correct!

Volume of cube = .000006m or .0006cm
What are the units of volume?

Remember, 0.01 m = 1 cm. 0.01 m3 ≠ 0.01 cm3

If your block of copper measures 0.02 m x 0.01m x 0.03m, what are its equivalent dimensions in centimeters?

Do you wish to change your answer as to the volume of the block in cm3?
Density ρ of cube = 8.8 g/cmcm3 or 8800kg/m^3
Density ρ of milk = 1.03 g/cm^3 or 1030 kg/m^3
These density conversions look OK.

Related to Finding tension in a string from a suspended object

1. How do you find the tension in a string from a suspended object?

To find the tension in a string from a suspended object, you can use the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. You can also use a force sensor or a spring scale to directly measure the tension.

2. What factors affect the tension in a string from a suspended object?

The tension in a string from a suspended object is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the length and material of the string. The angle at which the string is suspended can also affect the tension.

3. How does the angle of suspension affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of suspension. This means that as the angle increases, the tension also increases. However, if the angle is too large, the string may break due to the excessive tension.

4. Can the tension in a string from a suspended object ever be zero?

No, the tension in a string from a suspended object can never be zero as long as there is an object suspended from it. This is because the string is always supporting the weight of the object, which creates tension in the string.

5. How can we use the tension in a string from a suspended object in practical applications?

The tension in a string from a suspended object is used in many practical applications such as construction, engineering, and physics experiments. It can be used to lift and move objects, measure forces, and create stable structures. Understanding tension is crucial in ensuring the safety and stability of many structures and devices.