Finding the reaction force - moments and equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves a uniform rod of length 2m and mass 5kg connected to a vertical wall by a smooth hinge at A and a wire CB, with a 10kg mass attached at D. The tension in the wire is found to be 437.5N, and the magnitude of the reaction at the hinge A is found to be 314N. The force diagram shows that the tension and weight forces work together to rotate the rod, and the reaction force at A is not parallel to the rod.
pturo
The problem statement

A uniform rod of length 2m and mass 5kg is connected to a vertical wall by a smooth hinge at A and a wire CB as shown. If a 10 Kg mass is attached to D, find:

a) the tension in the wire
b) the magnitude of the reaction at the hinge A.

attached is my copy of the diagram from the textbook, (with forces added by me) and a force diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

The tension in the wire will be the anticlockwise moment about A. This is balanced by the clockwise moment - which comes from the weight of the beam and the mass attached to the end.

Clockwise moments [tex] 49 cos 26.77^\circ + 98 * 2 cos 26.77^\circ =218.74N[/tex]

Anticlockwise moment: [tex] 0.5 T[/tex]

[tex]0.5T = 218.74N[/tex]

[tex] T = 437.5N[/tex]

It is the next part where I am unsure. I need to get the magnitude of the reaction force at A. This is going to be a result of what I've called force D, which runs along AD.

I have illustrated the forces diagram in the attachment and the thing that is confusing me is that the weight force is apparently the largest on in the triangle. But from the forces in the original diagram, tension is a larger force that the combined weights.

As far as I can see there are no other forces acting on the system.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to where my thinking on this is going wrong/what my approach should be for finding the force along AD, and thus the reaction at A?

I would be very grateful for any information!

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 896
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think that the reaction force at the hinge will be parallel to the rod? Observe that the force of tension and the weights together tend to rotate the rod, and that can only be opposed if the force has a component perpendicular to the rod.

Thanks Voko.

I don't think the reaction force is parallel to the rod but I hadn't included it in that diagram. For some reason, I didn't think it needed to be included in the diagram of forces.

The force I drew parallel to the rod was the force D which is the force of the wall against the base of the rod.

Surely the tension and the weights are tending to rotate the rod in opposite directions?

Would this be a more appropriate diagram?

Attachments

• forces.png
    forces.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 588
The tension and the weight are applied at two different points. So it is invalid to say they tend to rotate the rod in opposite direction. Take a pencil, and hold one end with your left hand, and the other with your right hand. Now move your right hand up, and your left hand down. Do you see that as you hands just start moving, they do not oppose each other at all, and they work together to rotate the pencil?

Back to the problem. You do not need to introduce two reaction forces. One is enough, just drop the assumption that it is directed along the rod.

OK, thank you for clearing that up Voko.

I have removed the force parallel to the rod and modified the force diagram, but can't understand why the value for the reaction force is still not what it should be according to the answer given in the book.

I make R to be 221N; the book makes the answer to be 314N.

Attachments

• Forces2.png
    Forces2.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 794

Related to Finding the reaction force - moments and equilibrium

1. What is the definition of a reaction force?

A reaction force is a force exerted by an object in response to another force acting upon it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the applied force, and it ensures that an object remains in a state of equilibrium.

2. How is the moment of a force calculated?

The moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. This can be represented mathematically as M = Fd, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is meant by equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. This can occur in both static equilibrium (when an object is at rest) and dynamic equilibrium (when an object is moving at a constant velocity).

4. How do you determine if an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the sum of all forces acting on it is equal to zero and the sum of all moments acting on it is equal to zero. This can be determined by using the equations Fnet = 0 and ΣM = 0, where Fnet is the net force and ΣM is the sum of all moments.

5. How does the law of moments apply to finding equilibrium?

The law of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all moments acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise moments must be equal to the counterclockwise moments, resulting in a state of balance. This principle is used to determine if an object is in equilibrium and to solve problems involving forces and moments.