Finding Magnitude of Magnetic Field

In summary: The potential difference is what causes the force to act. The electric field is what causes the potential difference.
Travkid

Homework Statement

An electron accelerated from rest through a voltage of 420 V enters a region of constant magnetic field. If the electron follows a circular path with a radius of 29 cm, what is the magnitude of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

r=mv/lqlB
K=VQ
Conservation of Energy: Total Energy = KE + PE
KE = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know I need to use r=mv/qB to find the Magnitude of the Magnetic Field.
r= .29m
m=9.11x10-31 kg
q= 1.6x10-19
v= ?
B= what we're solving for.

If I can find the velocity of the electron, then I will be able to solve for the Magnitude of the Magnetic field.

I tried looking online for other solutions and someone said this, but I can't really understand it that well:

From conservation of energy we can calculate the velocity

K = V*q so 1/2*m*v^2 = V*q...so v = sqrt(2*V*q/m) = sqrt(2*410*1.60x10^-19/9.11x10^-31)
= 1.20x10^7m/s

Now we have F = m*a ...q*v*B = m*v^2/r

What is this K=vq equation? I couldn't find it when I was looking for it. It's the Voltage x The Charge?

Because we know the particle starts at rest, we know that the potential energy = kinetic energy. But I really don't know how to find the velocity. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
What work is done on a charged particle, on passing through a p.d.?

Qwertywerty said:
What work is done on a charged particle, on passing through a p.d.?

What is a p.d? We also haven't talked about work on charged particles at all. I'm taking the general algebra based physics, not the calculus based one.

P.d. stands for potential difference; my bad.

Ok, here - do you know the magnitude of the force that acts on a charge q in an electric field E?

Qwertywerty said:
P.d. stands for potential difference; my bad.

Ok, here - what force acts on a charge q in an electric field E?

Ah right! Of course. The Potential Difference.
The equations I know for Electric Field are...
E= Force/q0
E= kq/r
But where does the potential difference come into play? The P.d is essentially a voltage, right?

Travkid said:
But where does the potential difference come into play? The P.d is essentially a voltage, right?
Yes, it is.
Travelling along an electric field causes a change in p.d. - do you know of any relation between this potential and the existing electric field?

Also, coming back to Felectric = qE -
so if knowing that work done by a force is F.s (where s is the displacement along the force), can we write the work done in terms of the electrc field?

Related to Finding Magnitude of Magnetic Field

What is the equation for finding the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The equation for finding the magnitude of a magnetic field is B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnitude of the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

What unit is used to measure the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The unit used to measure the magnitude of a magnetic field is Tesla (T).

How do you calculate the magnitude of a magnetic field at a specific point?

To calculate the magnitude of a magnetic field at a specific point, you would need to know the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of free space. Then you can use the equation B = μ₀I/2πr to find the magnitude of the magnetic field at that point.

What factors affect the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current, the distance from the current, and the permeability of the material the magnetic field is passing through. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the current can also affect the magnitude of the magnetic field.

How do you use a compass to find the magnitude of a magnetic field?

A compass can be used to find the direction of a magnetic field, but it cannot measure the magnitude. To use a compass to find the direction of a magnetic field, hold the compass near the source of the magnetic field and observe which way the needle points. The direction the needle points is the direction of the magnetic field at that point.