Finding intervals of increase and decrease from an equation of f(x)

In summary, the function f(x) = x^3 - x^2 + 4x - 3 has a first derivative of f'(x) = 3x^2 - 2x + 4, which is not factorable and has a discriminant < 0. This means there are no x-intercepts and f(x) is increasing for all values of x. The graph of the function also confirms this. Therefore, there are no maximum or minimum values for the function.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

For the function [itex] f(x) = x^3 - x^2 + 4x - 3[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first and second derivative, the first derivative is [itex] f'(x) = 3x^2 - 2x + 4[/itex]
This is not factorable, as the discriminant is < 0, meaning there is no x-intercepts.
Does this mean that because f'(x) is positive for all values of x, f(x) is increasing for all values of x? And if not, I'm not sure what the next step is.
Thank you for you help

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you sketched the graph of the function, e.g. using your graphic calculator or computer software (like Google or Wolfram Alpha)?

Does the function look everywhere increasing? That would give you confidence that your calculations are correct and your conclusion is justified.

I did type in the f(x) function, which has intervals of increase AND decrease.. which is why I'm not very confident in my answer. But now I'm stuck as to how to figure out the correct answer. I'm doing an online course and it hasn't explained this part.

pbonnie said:
I did type in the f(x) function, which has intervals of increase AND decrease.. which is why I'm not very confident in my answer.
I think you might have entered the formula incorrectly. For the function you show, f'(x) > 0, for all real x, so f is increasing everywhere.
pbonnie said:
But now I'm stuck as to how to figure out the correct answer. I'm doing an online course and it hasn't explained this part.

Oh okay, I tried it on a different graphing program and it worked. Thank you both!
For a part b of the question, it asks for the location of any maximum or minimums. Because it is constantly increasing, this means there are no maximum or minimum values?

There are no points at which the derivative is zero, or at which the function is undefined, or endpoints of a domain, so yes, there are no maximum or minimum points.

Related to Finding intervals of increase and decrease from an equation of f(x)

1. How do you determine the intervals of increase and decrease from an equation of f(x)?

To find the intervals of increase and decrease from an equation of f(x), you need to calculate the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for x to find the critical points. Plug in these critical points and any other points of interest into the original function to determine the intervals of increase and decrease.

2. What does an interval of increase mean in terms of the function?

An interval of increase means that the function is increasing in value as the input (x) increases. This can also be thought of as a positive slope on a graph of the function.

3. What does an interval of decrease mean in terms of the function?

An interval of decrease means that the function is decreasing in value as the input (x) increases. This can also be thought of as a negative slope on a graph of the function.

4. Can there be multiple intervals of increase or decrease in a single function?

Yes, there can be multiple intervals of increase and decrease in a single function. This can occur when there are multiple critical points or points of interest that result in changes in the direction of the function.

5. How do intervals of increase and decrease relate to the maximum and minimum points of a function?

The maximum and minimum points of a function occur at the boundaries between intervals of increase and decrease. This means that the maximum point will occur at the end of an interval of increase, and the minimum point will occur at the end of an interval of decrease. These points can also be found by evaluating the function at the critical points and any other relevant points on the graph.