Intervals of increase and decrease

In summary, for the given functions, the intervals of increase/decrease can be determined by analyzing the leading coefficient and the degree of the polynomial. The first derivative test can be used to find the critical points and determine whether they are local maxima or minima. Graphing the functions can also provide visual confirmation of the intervals and critical points.
cptstubing

Homework Statement

Find the intervals of increase/decrease. Use first derivative test to find the local maxima and minima. Sketch a rough graph.

Homework Equations

a) f(x) = 2x2+12x-1
b) f(x) = 1/2x4-2x2
c) f(x) = 3x-4 sqrt 2
d) f(x) = x2-1/x2+1

The Attempt at a Solution

A)
it becomes f '(x) = 4x+12
solve for zero
4x+12=0
4x=-12
x=-3

plug x=-3 into the equation to get y value, which is 0
so...
(-3, 0) is the first and only critical point.
After testing it, I've determined that
f(x) decreases when xE (-infinity, -3)
f(x) increases when xE (-3, infinity)
This is correct I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

B) I end up with critical points (0,0) and (sqrt2, -2)

My attempt is:
f(x) = 1/2x4-2x2
f '(x) = 2x3-4x
solve for zero
2x3-4x
------is this next step right?
2x(x2-2) = 0
2x=0
x=0
and...
x2-2=0
x2=2
x=sqrt2 (1.4142...) feels wrong already

so after plugging 0 and sqrt2 into original equation give me (0,0) and (sqrt2, -2)
Intervals in the end area negative, another negative, and a positive value.

C) the derivative of this would be 3, which leaves no x value to determine.
D) quotient rule to find derivative, which I think is 4x/(x2+1)2

I think I need a math tutor, this course is killing me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

Find the intervals of increase/decrease. Use first derivative test to find the local maxima and minima. Sketch a rough graph.

Homework Equations

a) f(x) = 2x2+12x-1
b) f(x) = 1/2x4-2x2
c) f(x) = 3x-4 sqrt 2
d) f(x) = x2-1/x2+1

A)
solve for zero
4x+12=0
4x=-12
x=-3

so...

B) I end up with critical points (0,0) and (sqrt2, -2)

My attempt is:
f(x) = 1/2x4-2x2
f '(x) = 2x3-4x
solve for zero
2x3-4x
------is this next step right?
2x(x2-2) = 0
2x=0
x=0
and...
x2-2=0
x2=2
x=sqrt2 (1.4142...) feels wrong already

so after plugging 0 and sqrt2 into original equation give me (0,0) and (sqrt2, -2)
Intervals in the end area negative, another negative, and a positive value.

C) the derivative of this would be 3, which leaves no x value to determine.
D) quotient rule to find derivative, which I think is 4x/(x2+1)2

Substituting the value of x into f(x) will not tell you anything at all about whether x is a max, a min, or a saddle point. You need to examine behavior on intervals.

First, here is a simple "trick" that helps analyze a polynomial ##f(x) = a x^n + b x^{n-1} + \cdots + r##, with leading coefficient ##a > 0##.
(i) If ##n## is even (2,4,6,...) then ##f## is decreasing for large negative ##x## and increasing for large positive ##x##. (Basically, the graph of ##y = f(x)## behaves somewhat like the parabola ##y = x^2##, and if you look at the latter graph you will see what I mean.)
(ii) If ##n## is odd (1,3,5,...) then ##f(x)## is increasing for both positive and negative ##x##; just look at the graph of ##y = x^3## to see what I mean.

The reason why this simple trick works is that for very large ##|x|## the leading term ##a x^n## swamps the other, lower-order terms, at least in terms of general behavior.

If ##a < 0##, just reverse the directions (i.e, change "increasing" to "decreasing", etc.) Basically, this follows just by looking at ##-f(x)##, whose leading coefficient would again be > 0.

Here is how I would do the first question.
(a) ##f(x) = 2 x^2 + 12 x - 1##, so the derivative is ##f'(x) = 4 x + 12##. The only stationary point is ##x = -3##, as you have found. The trick above tells you that ##f## decreases in ##(-\infty,-3)## and increases in ##(-3,\infty)##.

You can do the other three yourself. Of course, the function in (d) is not a polynomial, but if you think about it you can still say what its behavior must be for large positive and negative ##x##, as well as for small positive and negative ##x##.

Last edited:
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a) f(x) = 2x2+12x-1

A)
solve for zero
4x+12=0
4x=-12
x=-3

so...
First of all, this and at least one of your previous threads belong in the Calculus homework Forum. This is pre-calculus.

As for part (a) :

You found the critical x value just fine, but you plugged that back into the derivative function, not into the function, f(x), itself, so you didn't actually find the minimum.​

As for some other issues:

You need to be more systematic in approaching these problems. You seem to be going in three directions at once.

Clearly your algebra skills need improvement. That's all too common with many Calculus students.

I suspect that what you mean for part (d) is f(x) = (x2-1)/(x2+1) .

What you wrote literally means: f(x) = x2 - (1/x2) +1 . That's a much different function. So use enough parentheses to communicate what you intend to communicate .

##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x^2-1}{x^2+1}\ ## versus ##\displaystyle \ f(x)=x^2-\frac{1}{x^2}+1##

Ray Vickson said:
Substituting the value of x into f(x) will not tell you anything at all about whether x is a max, a min, or a saddle point. You need to examine behavior on intervals.

First, here is a simple "trick" that helps analyze a polynomial ##f(x) = a x^n + b x^{n-1} + \cdots + r##, with leading coefficient ##a > 0##.
(i) If ##n## is even (2,4,6,...) then ##f## is decreasing for large negative ##x## and increasing for large positive ##x##. (Basically, the graph of ##y = f(x)## behaves somewhat like the parabola ##y = x^2##, and if you look at the latter graph you will see what I mean.)
(ii) If ##n## is odd (1,3,5,...) then ##f(x)## is increasing for both positive and negative ##x##; just look at the graph of ##y = x^3## to see what I mean.

The reason why this simple trick works is that for very large ##|x|## the leading term ##a x^n## swamps the other, lower-order terms, at least in terms of general behavior.

If ##a < 0##, just reverse the directions (i.e, change "increasing" to "decreasing", etc.) Basically, this follows just by looking at ##-f(x)##, whose leading coefficient would again be > 0.

Here is how I would do the first question.
(a) ##f(x) = 2 x^2 + 12 x - 1##, so the derivative is ##f'(x) = 4 x + 12##. The only stationary point is ##x = -3##, as you have found. The trick above tells you that ##f## decreases in ##(-\infty,-3)## and increases in ##(3,\infty)##.

You can do the other three yourself. Of course, the function in (d) is not a polynomial, but if you think about it you can still say what its behavior must be for large positive and negative ##x##, as well as for small positive and negative ##x##.

Do you mean (see bold above) 'increases in ##(-3,\infty)##?

SammyS said:
First of all, this and at least one of your previous threads belong in the Calculus homework Forum. This is pre-calculus.

As for part (a) :

You found the critical x value just fine, but you plugged that back into the derivative function, not into the function, f(x), itself, so you didn't actually find the minimum.​

As for some other issues:

You need to be more systematic in approaching these problems. You seem to be going in three directions at once.

Clearly your algebra skills need improvement. That's all too common with many Calculus students.

I suspect that what you mean for part (d) is f(x) = (x2-1)/(x2+1) .

What you wrote literally means: f(x) = x2 - (1/x2) +1 . That's a much different function. So use enough parentheses to communicate what you intend to communicate .

##\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x^2-1}{x^2+1}\ ## versus ##\displaystyle \ f(x)=x^2-\frac{1}{x^2}+1##

This course is labelled Mathematics 12 - Precalculus. There is a calculus course as well but I don't need it.
I need my math mark upgraded and it's proving to be a task, not that I didn't anticipate a challenge.

cptstubing said:
This course is labelled Mathematics 12 - Precalculus.
As soon as you start using derivatives, you are using calculus to do so, regardless of how your school labels the course.

For (b) don't forget the negative value that satisfies ##x^2 =2##.
For (d), since the denominator is always positive, you should be able to learn a lot by characterizing the numerator.

Likes SammyS
cptstubing said:
Do you mean (see bold above) 'increases in ##(-3,\infty)##?

Yes, of course. Typo fixed.

Anyway, what is your answer to people who asked you about what you meant in question (d)? Exactly what is the function ##f(x)##? When I offered a hint, I was assuming the function was ##f(x) = x^2 - \frac{1}{x^2} + 1##. If that is not true, the hint would be misleading!

Related to Intervals of increase and decrease

1. What are intervals of increase and decrease?

Intervals of increase and decrease refer to the domains or ranges of a function where the function is either increasing or decreasing, respectively. In other words, it is the set of values for which the function is either rising or falling.

2. How can intervals of increase and decrease be identified?

To identify intervals of increase and decrease, we can look at the graph of the function and observe the direction of the curve. If the curve is moving upwards, then the interval is one of increase, and if it is moving downwards, the interval is one of decrease. We can also find the intervals by calculating the derivative of the function and observing the sign of the derivative.

3. What is the significance of intervals of increase and decrease?

Intervals of increase and decrease provide important information about the behavior of a function. They can help us understand how the function is changing and where it has maximum and minimum values. They are also useful for finding the critical points of a function.

4. Can a function have multiple intervals of increase and decrease?

Yes, a function can have multiple intervals of increase and decrease. This occurs when the function has multiple local maximum or minimum points. In this case, the intervals will alternate between increase and decrease.

5. How can intervals of increase and decrease be used in real-world applications?

Intervals of increase and decrease can be used in many real-world applications, such as analyzing the stock market, predicting population growth, or studying the changes in weather patterns. By understanding the intervals of increase and decrease, we can make informed decisions and predictions about the behavior of a system or phenomenon.