Finding Extremum Points of f(x): A Study

In summary, you find the critical points of the function by taking its second derivative and plugging in the given values of p and q. If the second derivative is zero at the critical points, then it is an extremum.
zorro

Homework Statement

Let f(x) =(x-1)p.(x-2)q where p,q>1. Each critical point of f(x) is a point of extremum when - (Options are given)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the critical points as 1 and 2.
I don't know what do I do next. I found the second derivative but I think its of no use.
Someone enlighten me with their thougts.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
plug the critical points into f''. if f''(critical point)>0, critical point is a minimum. if f''(critical point)<0, critical point is a max. if f''(critical point)=0, use f' to tell where f changes fro increasing to decreasing.

this stuff is http://www.mathwords.com/f/first_derivative_test.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have written the options to make it more clear.
a) p =3, q=4
b) p =5, q=7
c) p=2, q=3
d) p=2, q=4

How do you find the values of p and q?

Ok, so as p and q>1, the critical points will be at x=1,2 now as suggested calculate the 2nd derivative and see what effect the given values of p and q have

I don't want to plug in each value of p and q.
How do I find out the values of p and q without looking at the options?
I found out the second derivative. It becomes 0 at the critical points.

so show what the 2nd derivative is

second derivative is

f2(x) = f(x) (-p/(x-1)2 - q/(x-2)2) + f1(x)(p/(x-1) + q/(x-2))

i don't think that's quite right, to start i get
[tex] f(x) =(x-1)^p.(x-2)^q [/tex]
[tex] f'(x) =p(x-1)^{p-1}.(x-2)^q + q(x-1)^p(x-2)^{q-1} [/tex]

I rechecked it. Its correct. Take (x-1)p and (x-2)q common from the first derivative and then differentiate. You will get same.

the following forms may be useful
[tex] f'(x) =(x-1)^{p-1}(x-2)^{q-1}(p(x-2)+ q(x-1)) [/tex]
[tex] f''(x) = (x-1)^{p-2}(x-2)^{q-2}(p(p-1)(x-2)^2+ pq(x-1))(x-2)+q(q-1)(x-1)^2) [/tex]

if f''(x) is zero, it does not tell you whether it is an extrememum or not and you will need to examine higher derivatives

Yes I know that and it will require a lot of time.
There must be some other way to solve this because tht time allotted for this question is 2 mins.

You can do this problem with taking any derivatives.

a)p = 3, q = 4
f(x) = (x - 1)3(x - 2)4
With this combination of values, the graph of f rises out of the third quadrant, crosses the x-axis at x = 1, dips back down to the x-axis at x = 2, and rises up into the first quadrant.

The zeros are (obviously) at x = 1 and x = 2.
Near x = 1, the graph of f looks like y = x3 shifted to the right by 1 unit, so x = 1 cannot be an extremum for these value of p and q.

Near x = 2, the graph of f looks like y = x4 shifted to the right by 2 units. There is a local extremum (minimum) at x = 2.

And so on for the other three sets of values...

Thanks a lot Mark44.
I got the answer as d) :smile:

Related to Finding Extremum Points of f(x): A Study

1. What is the purpose of "Finding Extremum Points of f(x): A Study"?

The purpose of this study is to determine the extreme points or turning points of a function f(x) in order to analyze its behavior and make predictions about its values.

2. What are extremum points?

Extremum points, also known as critical points, are the points on a graph where the function's rate of change is either zero or undefined. These points can be maximum or minimum values, and they indicate a change in the direction of the function.

3. How do you find extremum points?

To find extremum points, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable by using methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the derivative test. The resulting values will be the x-coordinates of the extremum points.

4. Why is finding extremum points important?

Finding extremum points allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to optimize the function, such as finding the maximum or minimum value, which is useful in many real-world applications such as economics, engineering, and physics.

5. Can extremum points have multiple values?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple extremum points. This can occur when the function has multiple local maximum or minimum points, or when the function has a point of inflection, which is a point where the concavity changes. It is important to consider all of these points when analyzing the behavior of a function.