Finding expansion coefficients of a generic vector?

In summary, the student is struggling to find the expansion coefficients of a generic vector in a given orthonormal basis. They attempt to set up the problem using formulas and algebra, but are unsure if their method is correct. They ask for clarification on finding the coefficients and for suggestions on alternative methods.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the expansion coefficients of a generic vector (λ, μ) ∈ ℂ^2 in the orthonormal basis:
{ i/sqrt(2) (1, 1), 1/sqrt(2) (1, -1) }

Homework Equations

λ_i = |v_i> |v>

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this should be difficult.
But, clearly, as I am posting here, I do not understand the terminology used yet.

So the question says "generic" vector, so I am assuming we choose some values say
λ = (x, y)
and then we simply say
λ_x = |x> |isqrt(2) (1,1)>

Which would be x*i/sqrt(2)

What am I doing wrong here? It can't be that straightforward?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find the expansion coefficients of a generic vector (λ, μ) ∈ ℂ^2 in the orthonormal basis:
{ i/sqrt(2) (1, 1), 1/sqrt(2) (1, -1) }
In ##\mathbb{R}^2##, the "usual" basis is {<1, 0>, <0, 1>}. I don't know what the "usual" basis is in ##\mathbb{C}^2##, but I'm fairly sure that the generic vector (λ, μ) is in terms of the usual basis in ##\mathbb{C}^2## (whatever it is). IOW, (λ, μ) = λc1 + μc2, with the ci being the basis vectors.

I believe what this problem is asking you to do is to find the coefficients of (λ, μ) in terms of the vectors in your orthonormal basis. That is, find the coefficients (a1, a2) such that (λ, μ) = aa * i/sqrt(2) (1, 1) + a2 * 1/sqrt(2) (1, -1).
RJLiberator said:

Homework Equations

λ_i = |v_i> |v>

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think this should be difficult.
But, clearly, as I am posting here, I do not understand the terminology used yet.

So the question says "generic" vector, so I am assuming we choose some values say
λ = (x, y)
and then we simply say
λ_x = |x> |isqrt(2) (1,1)>

Which would be x*i/sqrt(2)

What am I doing wrong here? It can't be that straightforward?

Likes RJLiberator
Ugh, I just can't get it for the life of me.
Any blatant examples around? With one example, I'm sure it is as easy as clockwork.

λ_i = |v_i> |v> is the formula that should be used.

I'm guessing |v> is the spot for the orthonormal basis given.
But that still leaves me two unknowns, the one I'm trying to find, and the |v_i>.

Update:

Any help on this problem?
Best we have:
(λ, μ) = a_a*i/sqrt(2) (1, 1) + a_2*1/sqrt(2) (1, -1).

I'm nearly positive that I have to use the formula that
λ_i = |v_i> |v>

In some respect.

I cannot put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Aha! I think I may have solved it. OR perhaps not...

Question: Find the expansion coefficients of a generic vector [itex]\binom{λ}{μ}∈ℂ^2[/itex] in the orthonormal basis [itex]((\binom{i/\sqrt{2}}{i/\sqrt{2}},\binom{1/\sqrt{2}}{-1/\sqrt{2}})[/itex].

So I set it up as such:

[tex]\binom{λ}{μ} = a_1\binom{i/\sqrt{2}}{i/\sqrt{2}}+a_2\binom{1/\sqrt{2}}{-1/\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

where [itex]a_1, a_2 ∈ ℂ[/itex].

I did this due to what was in my notes and the hints giving in this thread.

Now, with a bit of algebra, it is clear to see that

[itex] λ = \frac{ia_1+a_2}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
and
[itex] μ = \frac{ia_1-a_2}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

And here we have the expansion coefficients of a generic vector.

1. Is this correct?
2. Is it correct to state that a_1 and a_2 exist in the complex numbers, or must they be real numbers as scalars?

RJLiberator said:
Aha! I think I may have solved it. OR perhaps not...

Question: Find the expansion coefficients of a generic vector [itex]\binom{λ}{μ}∈ℂ^2[/itex] in the orthonormal basis [itex]((\binom{i/\sqrt{2}}{i/\sqrt{2}},\binom{1/\sqrt{2}}{-1/\sqrt{2}})[/itex].

So I set it up as such:

[tex]\binom{λ}{μ} = a_1\binom{i/\sqrt{2}}{i/\sqrt{2}}+a_2\binom{1/\sqrt{2}}{-1/\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

where [itex]a_1, a_2 ∈ ℂ[/itex].

I did this due to what was in my notes and the hints giving in this thread.

Now, with a bit of algebra, it is clear to see that

[itex] λ = \frac{ia_1+a_2}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
and
[itex] μ = \frac{ia_1-a_2}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
You haven't really done anything here. The expansion coefficients are the multipliers of the vectors in your base so that you get ##\binom{λ}{μ}##. So all you've done is write out the question in mathematical form. What you need to do, and what I said in post #2, is find formulas for ##a_1## and ##a_2##, for given values of λ and μ.
RJLiberator said:
And here we have the expansion coefficients of a generic vector.
Nope
RJLiberator said:
1. Is this correct?
2. Is it correct to state that a_1 and a_2 exist in the complex numbers, or must they be real numbers as scalars?
The vector space is ##\mathbb{C}^2## and the field (of scalars) is ##\mathbb{C}##.

Likes RJLiberator
What you need to do, and what I said in post #2, is find formulas for a1 and a2, for given values of λ and μ.

So, what you are saying is that I have to find a_1 and a_2 such that the equations that I found yield λ and υ respectively?

Then from the equations
a_2 = λ*sqrt(2)-μ*sqrt(2)
a_1 = -μ*i*sqrt(2)

Now we see what the expansion coefficients are for any vectors. So, we can think of vector λ=2, μ=1, and can find coefficient expansions.EDIT: I'm not sure if this works, when I choose λ = 2 and μ = 1, and plug it into

With a_1 and a_2 the above coefficients.
I get whacky answers.

It seems as if the first part works out well, If we are looking for λ = 2 then certainly -2*i*sqrt(2) * i/(sqrt(2)) = 2.
However, I assume you have to add the second part of the equation to it, which is -sqrt(2).

:/

Last edited:
Any last minute help on this problem gentlemen?
I will turn this in in a few hours, you all have been a wonderful help. (Props to you Mark44)

Some questions I could use help on:

1) Is my method here mostly correct? Is there an algebraic mistake, or is my method not right?

2) If it is my method, do you have any suggestions on a new method?
This made sense to me when Mark44 told me to find formulas for a_1 and a_2. I thought I had done that in my previous post, but they don't seem to be working in the big scheme of things. This could be an algebraic mistake OR it could be not understanding how to use everything properly.

RJLiberator said:
So, what you are saying is that I have to find a_1 and a_2 such that the equations that I found yield λ and υ respectively?
Yes, that's what you need to do.

RJLiberator said:
Any last minute help on this problem gentlemen?
I will turn this in in a few hours, you all have been a wonderful help. (Props to you Mark44)

Some questions I could use help on:

1) Is my method here mostly correct? Is there an algebraic mistake, or is my method not right?

2) If it is my method, do you have any suggestions on a new method?
The method is correct, and you're doing well to make up an example to verify that you're getting the right values. If you're not getting the right values, it's likely due to a mistake in the algebra.
RJLiberator said:
This made sense to me when Mark44 told me to find formulas for a_1 and a_2. I thought I had done that in my previous post, but they don't seem to be working in the big scheme of things. This could be an algebraic mistake OR it could be not understanding how to use everything properly.

Likes RJLiberator
Indeed, it was a mistake in the algebra.

It turned out to be very close to the right result, I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through some steps. I know understand the problem, for the most part.

Related to Finding expansion coefficients of a generic vector?

1. What is the purpose of finding expansion coefficients of a generic vector?

The purpose of finding expansion coefficients of a generic vector is to express the vector as a linear combination of a set of basis vectors. This helps in simplifying and understanding the vector and its properties.

2. How do you find the expansion coefficients of a vector?

The expansion coefficients of a vector can be found by solving a system of linear equations, where each equation represents the scalar multiples of the basis vectors that make up the original vector.

3. What are basis vectors?

Basis vectors are a set of linearly independent vectors that can be combined in a linear fashion to represent any other vector in the vector space. They act as a building block for all other vectors in the space.

4. Why is it important to find expansion coefficients?

Finding expansion coefficients is important because it helps in simplifying vector operations and understanding the relationships between different vectors. It also allows for easier manipulation and analysis of vectors in a vector space.

5. Can expansion coefficients be negative?

Yes, expansion coefficients can be negative. This means that the original vector can be expressed as a combination of basis vectors in which some of the coefficients are negative, indicating a direction opposite to that of the basis vector.