Coefficient for a Term in a Taylor Expansion for Cosine

In summary: Since you have already solved the problem I guess it is OK to now point out that we can write ##\cos(x) = -\cos(y)##, where ##y = \pi - x##; that is a standard trigonometric identity (and is obvious geometrically). When ##x## is near ##\pi##, ##y## is near 0, expanding in powers of ##y## makes sense.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

The coefficient of the term (x−π)2 in the Taylor expansion for f(x)=cos(x) about x=π is:

Homework Equations

##cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \frac{x^6}{6!} + \frac{x^8}{8!}...##

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless my taylor series for cosine is incorrect, I'm not seeing any (x-π)2 term. What am I missing here? I see that the 2nd term is a squared term and that the coefficient is -1. Is that the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

The coefficient of the term (x−π)2 in the Taylor expansion for f(x)=cos(x) about x=π is:

Homework Equations

##cos(x) = 1 - \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^4}{4!} - \frac{x^6}{6!} + \frac{x^8}{8!}...##

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless my taylor series for cosine is incorrect, I'm not seeing any (x-π)2 term. What am I missing here? I see that the 2nd term is a squared term and that the coefficient is -1. Is that the answer?

You need to apply the correct definition of a Taylor series. You are using the Maclaurin expansion, not the Taylor expansion.

Ray Vickson said:
You need to apply the correct definition of a Taylor series. You are using the Maclaurin expansion, not the Taylor expansion.

I see. Do you have a good reference that has the correct series? Everything I've found so far has the taylor series for cosine exactly as I have it. Very frustrating. :H

fresh_42 said:
You could use Wiki's first definition here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series with ##a= \pi##

Thanks Fresh. I usually avoid wikipedia when doing homework as I rarely find it helpful, but it appears this time I was incorrect.

Drakkith said:
Thanks Fresh. I usually avoid wikipedia when doing homework as I rarely find it helpful, but it appears this time I was incorrect.
They are usually quite correct in the definition section and fast to look up. I mostly look it up in two languages, as it's not a 1:1 translation.

fresh_42 said:
You could use Wiki's first definition here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series with ##a= \pi##

Okay, wiki's definition with a = π:
##F(π) + \frac{F'(π)}{1!}(x-π) + \frac{F''(π)}{2!}(x-π)^2 + \frac{F'''(π)}{3!}(x-π)^3 + ...##

The first few derivatives of cos(x) are:
##F(x) = cos(x)##
##F'(x) = -sin(x)##
##F''(x) = -cos(x)##
##F'''(x) = sin(x)##

So that would be:
##cos(π) - sin(π)(x-π) - \frac{cos(π)}{2}(x-π)^2 + \frac{sin(π)}{6}(x-π)^3 + ...##

or

##-1 - 0 - \frac{1}{2}(x-π)^2 + 0 + ...##

So the coefficient would be -1/2.

I haven't done it, but something like this, yes. Maybe you'll have to take a few terms more, as they all include lower powers of ##x##.

Drakkith said:
Everything I've found so far has the taylor series for cosine exactly as I have it.
As already mentioned what you have is the Maclaurin series for the cosine function. A Maclaurin series is a series in powers of x (or powers of (x - 0)). A Taylor's series is one that is in powers of x - a. A Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor's series.

Your textbook should have definitions of both types of series.

Mark44 said:
Your textbook should have definitions of both types of series.

Unfortunately I don't have my old textbook with me, so I can't look it up, and I didn't look at what the homework would be over before I left my house. I've had a really bad start to the semester thanks to some sleep issues and I'm still trying to get everything together and planned out.

Thanks guys.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately I don't have my old textbook with me, so I can't look it up, and I didn't look at what the homework would be over before I left my house. I've had a really bad start to the semester thanks to some sleep issues and I'm still trying to get everything together and planned out.

Thanks guys.

Since you have already solved the problem I guess it is OK to now point out that we can write ##\cos(x) = -\cos(y)##, where ##y = \pi - x##; that is a standard trigonometric identity (and is obvious geometrically). When ##x## is near ##\pi##, ##y## is near 0, expanding in powers of ##y## makes sense.

Likes fresh_42 and Drakkith

Related to Coefficient for a Term in a Taylor Expansion for Cosine

1. What is a coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine?

A coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine refers to the numerical value that is multiplied by a variable, in this case, the powers of x in the expansion of cosine. It helps determine the shape and behavior of the graph of a function.

2. How is the coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine calculated?

The coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine is calculated using the formula: f(n)(a)/n!, where f(n)(a) represents the nth derivative of the function at point a, and n! is the factorial of n.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine?

The coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine is significant as it helps approximate the value of a function at a specific point. It also aids in understanding the behavior and properties of a function.

4. Can the coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine be negative?

Yes, the coefficient for a term in a Taylor expansion for cosine can be negative. This indicates a downward trend in the graph of the function at that particular point.

5. How does the number of terms in a Taylor expansion for cosine affect the coefficient?

The number of terms in a Taylor expansion for cosine affects the coefficient by increasing its accuracy in approximating the value of a function at a specific point. As the number of terms increases, the coefficient gets closer to the actual value of the function.