Finding end temperature of mixed substances

In summary, the problem involves finding the final temperature of a mixture of 0.761kg of water at 4 degrees Celsius and 0.054kg of glycerol at 26 degrees Celsius, in a calorimeter. Using the equation Q(calorimeter)+Q(water)=Q(glycerol), the final temperature can be calculated by finding the energy gained by the water and calorimeter, and the energy lost by the glycerol. The answer is estimated to be between 10°C and 20°C. It is important to remember to convert all temperatures to Kelvin when using the equation.
dthmnstr
hi I am having a bit of a problem with this anybody care to help me out?

a calorimeter contains 0.761kg of water. both calorimeter and water have the temperature 4 degrees celsius. 0.054kg of liquid glycerol at 26 degrees celsius is then poured into the calorimeter. find the end temperature of the entire mixture.

C(calorimeter)=86J/kgK C(water)=4180J/kgK C(glycerol)=2430J/kgK

so far I've tried the equations Q(calorimeter)+Q(water)=Q(glyserol) and Q(calorimeter)+Q(water)=Q(glycerol)+Q(glycerol turning solid) but i always get some kind of brutal answer, i think the answer lies somewhere between 10 'c and 20 'c but I am unsure of how to formulate the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the first equation you tried.
Let the temperature of the final mixture be, t, for example.
Find the energy gained by the water in rising to that temperature from 4 degrees.
Find the energy gained by the calorimeter in rising to that temperature from 4 degrees
Find the energy lost by the glycerol in falling to that temperature from 26 degrees
Use conservation of energy. Energy gained by Water and calorimeter = energy lost by glycerol. (Assuming no loss to surroundings) Solve for t.

Last edited:
dthmnstr said:
hi I am having a bit of a problem with this anybody care to help me out?

a calorimeter contains 0.761kg of water. both calorimeter and water have the temperature 4 degrees celsius. 0.054kg of liquid glycerol at 26 degrees celsius is then poured into the calorimeter. find the end temperature of the entire mixture.

C(calorimeter)=86J/kgK C(water)=4180J/kgK C(glycerol)=2430J/kgK

so far I've tried the equations Q(calorimeter)+Q(water)=Q(glyserol) and Q(calorimeter)+Q(water)=Q(glycerol)+Q(glycerol turning solid) but i always get some kind of brutal answer, i think the answer lies somewhere between 10 'c and 20 'c but I am unsure of how to formulate the equation.

Did you remember to convert to kelvin?

thanks dudes for the help, i just messed up with placing the T in the equation so i got it solved properly now

Related to Finding end temperature of mixed substances

What is the concept of finding end temperature of mixed substances?

The concept of finding end temperature of mixed substances involves determining the final temperature when two or more substances with different initial temperatures are combined and allowed to reach thermal equilibrium.

Why is it important to find the end temperature of mixed substances?

Knowing the end temperature of mixed substances is important in various scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It helps in understanding the behavior of substances when they are in contact with each other and allows for accurate predictions and calculations in experiments and real-world applications.

What factors can affect the end temperature of mixed substances?

The end temperature of mixed substances can be influenced by several factors such as the initial temperatures of the substances, their specific heat capacities, masses, and thermal conductivities. External factors such as the surrounding temperature and pressure can also play a role.

How can the end temperature of mixed substances be calculated?

The end temperature of mixed substances can be calculated using the principle of energy conservation, where the total energy of the system before and after mixing is equal. This can be expressed in the form of an equation, known as the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the specific heat capacities and masses of the substances involved.

What are some applications of finding the end temperature of mixed substances?

The concept of finding end temperature of mixed substances has various real-world applications such as in cooking, where different ingredients with varying temperatures are combined to achieve a desired final temperature. It is also used in industrial processes, climate control systems, and in the design of heat exchangers and other thermal equipment.