Equilibrium Temperature with three substances

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium temperature when a block of lead with a specific heat of 130 is placed in a calorimeter cup containing water and aluminum with specific heats of 4.1 and 900, respectively. Using the equation Q=mcΔt, the final temperature can be calculated by summing the heat transferred between the substances and setting it equal to zero. After solving for the final temperature, the result is 40.1 degrees celsius. However, the attempted solution does not follow the correct equation.
ContagiousIntellect

Homework Statement

If a block of 250 grams of lead (specific heat (c) =130) at 315 degrees celsius is placed in a 200 gram aluminum (c=900) calorimeter cup containing 900 grams of water (c=4.1), and the calorimeter and the water are both initially at 15 degrees celsius, what is the equilibrium temperature ?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔt
Tf=(mct+mct+mct)/(mc+mc+mc)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tf=((250x900x315)+(200x900x15)+(900x4.1x15))/((250x130)+(200x900)+(900x4.1)
Tf=(70875000+2700000+55350)/(32500+180000+3690)
Tf=40.1
I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to approach it in a systematic way - for a single substance Q=mcΔt, for the whole system

[tex]\sum_i m_ic_i\Delta T_i = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta T_i = T_{final} -T_{initial(i)}[/itex] (Tfinal is common for all substances present).

What are the units of specific heat, if lead is 130, aluminium is 900 and water is 4.1?

Likes Borek
ContagiousIntellect said:

Homework Statement

If a block of 250 grams of lead (specific heat (c) =130) at 315 degrees celsius is placed in a 200 gram aluminum (c=900) calorimeter cup containing 900 grams of water (c=4.1), and the calorimeter and the water are both initially at 15 degrees celsius, what is the equilibrium temperature ?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔt
Tf=(mct+mct+mct)/(mc+mc+mc)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tf=((250x900x315)+(200x900x15)+(900x4.1x15))/((250x130)+(200x900)+(900x4.1)
Tf=(70875000+2700000+55350)/(32500+180000+3690)
Tf=40.1
I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.
The math is not consistent with your second Relevant equation. Try again.

Likes Bystander

Related to Equilibrium Temperature with three substances

1. What is equilibrium temperature with three substances?

Equilibrium temperature with three substances refers to the temperature at which three different substances reach thermal equilibrium with each other. This means that they all have the same temperature and there is no net transfer of heat between them.

2. How is equilibrium temperature calculated with three substances?

The equilibrium temperature with three substances can be calculated by using the principle of conservation of energy. This involves setting up equations for the heat gained and lost by each substance and solving for the temperature at which these equations are equal.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium temperature with three substances?

The factors that can affect equilibrium temperature with three substances include the specific heat capacities of each substance, the initial temperatures of each substance, and the rate at which heat is transferred between the substances.

4. Can equilibrium temperature be reached with more than three substances?

Yes, equilibrium temperature can be reached with any number of substances. The principle of conservation of energy can be applied to calculate the equilibrium temperature for any number of substances.

5. Is equilibrium temperature always the same for all three substances?

No, equilibrium temperature can vary depending on the specific substances involved and their initial temperatures. It is the temperature at which heat transfer reaches an equilibrium, so it can change if any of these factors change.