Finding Derivatives with Constants

In summary, when finding the derivatives of (x^2)/(2μ), it is important to remember that μ is a constant and therefore the derivative of 2μ is 0. There are simpler methods, such as the product rule or constant multiple rule, for finding the derivative of this expression. It is not necessary to use the quotient rule.

Homework Statement

Let μ represent a positive constant.

Find the derivatives of:

(x^2)/(2μ)

Please check work. I am confused about the "constant" part. Can't you just set μ = some positive number and find the derivative that way?

Homework Equations

(x^2)/(2μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

((2x)(2μ) - (x^2)(2μ))/(2μ)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

Let μ represent a positive constant.

Find the derivatives of:

(x^2)/(2μ)

Please check work. I am confused about the "constant" part. Can't you just set μ = some positive number and find the derivative that way?
No.
939 said:

Homework Equations

(x^2)/(2μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

((2x)(2μ) - (x^2)(2μ))/(2μ)^2
The second 2μ factor in the numerator is wrong. μ is a constant, so 2μ is also a constant. The derivative of any constant is zero.

Also, there are at least two other ways to do this problem, both of which are simpler than using the quotient rule.

Dividing by 2μ is the same as multiplying by 1/(2μ), so you can use the product rule, which is usually less prone to algebra mistakes.

You can also use the constant multiple rule. IOW, d/dx(k*f(x)) = k * d/dx(f(x)).

Likes 1 person
I just want to add that no one would ever use the product or quotient rule to do this.

Perhaps, but I have seen students who do, however, use a quotient rule even if the denominator is a constant. Weird, for sure... (shrugs)

1MileCrash said:
I just want to add that no one would ever use the product or quotient rule to do this.
No one should use the product or quotient rule on problems of this type. If they do, it's because they don't know better.

eumyang said:
Perhaps, but I have seen students who do, however, use a quotient rule even if the denominator is a constant. Weird, for sure... (shrugs)
Not weird, IMO, just a lack of experience.

Related to Finding Derivatives with Constants

1. What are derivatives with constants?

Derivatives with constants refer to the process of finding the rate of change of a function that contains a fixed number or value. In other words, it is the derivative of a function where a constant is added or multiplied to the variable.

2. How do you find the derivative of a constant?

The derivative of a constant is always 0, as a constant value does not change. This means that when taking the derivative of a function with a constant, the constant can be ignored and the derivative of the remaining variable can be found.

3. What is the difference between a derivative with a constant and a derivative without a constant?

The main difference between the two is that a derivative with a constant will result in a constant value, while a derivative without a constant will result in a variable or function. Additionally, a derivative with a constant will have a slope of 0, while a derivative without a constant will have a varying slope.

4. How does a constant affect the shape of a graph when taking the derivative?

A constant will not change the overall shape of a graph when taking the derivative. However, it may affect the y-intercept or the steepness of the slope, depending on how it is used in the function.

5. Can a constant be a variable in a derivative?

Yes, a constant can be a variable in a derivative. This is often seen in situations where a constant is used to represent a specific value or parameter, such as in physics equations. In this case, the constant can be treated as a variable and its derivative can be found.