Potential and Kinetic energy commutator

In summary, the conversation discussed the application of the chain rule to the equation [T,V]=[TV-VT]ψ, using the homework equations T=(-ħ2/2μ)∂2/∂x2 and V=(1/2)kx2. The correct application of the product rule resulted in the expression (2x∂/∂x + 1)ψ, which can be simplified to (x∂/∂x + (∂/∂x)x)ψ.

Homework Statement

[T,V]=[TV-VT]ψ

Homework Equations

T=(-ħ2/2μ)∂2/∂x2
V=(1/2)kx2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[(-ħ2/2μ)∂2/∂x2((1/2)kx2ψ)]-[(1/2)kx2(-ħ2/2μ)∂2/∂x2(ψ)]

I think my problem is with executing the chain rule on the first term:

(-ħ2/2μ)[x2ψ''+2xψ'+2xψ'+2ψ-x2ψ'']
[/B]

The x2ψ'' terms cancel out but I'm left with the +4xψ' term which I makes me suspect that I've made a mistake somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually the product rule, not the chain rule. Your calculation is okay except for a few minor errors. (Where'd the k go?)

Neglecting the constant factors out front, you ended up with ##(2x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + 1)\psi##. You can show this equals ##(x\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x)\psi##, which probably looks more correct to you.

Related to Potential and Kinetic energy commutator

1. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion.

2. How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa. When an object falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

3. What is the formula for potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

4. How is the commutator used to convert potential and kinetic energy?

The commutator is a mechanical device used to convert potential and kinetic energy in a simple electric motor. It consists of a series of conductors attached to the armature, which rotate within a magnetic field, converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential and kinetic energy conversion?

Examples of potential and kinetic energy conversion include a roller coaster ride, a swinging pendulum, and a falling object. In each of these cases, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in motion.