Finding derivative of log and lnx. Please help Need help before test

In summary: So I'm guessing it should be y'=(1/2)(1+5x^3)^-1/2*(15x^2) * e^√(1+5x^3) which is the same as (15x^2/2√(1+5x^3)) * e^√(1+5x^3) ?Yes, that's correct! Great job on the second problem. For the third problem, you're on the right track, but you made a small mistake. Remember that the derivative of ln x is 1/x, so the derivative of ln(x^2-2x) is (1/(x^2-2x))(2
josh_123
I need help in finding dy/dx or the derivative of these function:
1. y=sin^2(lnx)
so d/dx[sin^2(lnx)] I tried following this model of sin^x=(sinx)^2 so d/dx[(sinlnx)^2)]. Then use the chain rule of dy/dx= f'g(g') which is 2(sinlnx)(cos1/x) but I don't think that is right so can you please tell me another way to do it?thank you!

2. y=x[log2(x^2-2x)]^3
d/dx[xlog2(x^2-2x)]^3=3log2(x^2-2x)^2---> Again I don't think this is right so please direct me to the right one.

3. y=exp(sqrt(1+5x^3)). This one I don't even know how to begin. Exponent of what?

4. y=ln(cose^x) using the rule of d/dx[lnu]=1/u x (du/dx) I get dy/dx=(1/cose^x)(-sin(e^x)(e^x)
dy/dx=(1/cose^x)(-e^xsine^x)
dy/dx=(-e^xsine^x)/(cose^x)---> (tane^x)(-e^x)=-e^xtane^x~Please tell me if I did anything wrong

5. Finding the derivative by using implict differentation
y=ln(xtany). Please help me get started

6. Finding the derivative by using logarithmic differentation:
y=5root(x-1/x+1) or (x-1/x+1)^1/5
lny=ln(x-1/x+1)^(1/5)=(1/5)ln(x-1/x+1)
d/dx[(1/5)ln(x-1/x+1)]=(1/5)(x-1/x+1)(2/(x+1)^2+0(ln(x^2+1)
so dy/dx=y[(2x+2)/(5x-5)(x+1)^2]
=5root(x-1/x+1)[2x+2/(5x-5)(x+1)^2]

Is this right?
~Thank you in advance =D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to slow down and evaluate these things one step at a time.
josh_123 said:
I need help in finding dy/dx or the derivative of these function:
1. y=sin^2(lnx)
so d/dx[sin^2(lnx)] I tried following this model of sin^2 x=(sinx)^2 so d/dx[(sinlnx)^2)]. Then use the chain rule of dy/dx= f'g(g') which is 2(sinlnx)(cos1/x) but I don't think that is right so can you please tell me another way to do it?thank you!
You started off okay by rewriting it in an easier form to differentiate.[tex]y = (\sin \log x)^2[/tex]When you apply the chain rule, you get[tex]y' = 2(\sin \log x)^1 \frac{d}{dx}[\sin (\log x)][/tex]
You evaluated the derivative of the inside, sin(log x), incorrectly. You can't just differentiate the sine and log separately like that. You need to apply the chain rule again because log x is inside of sin.
2. y=x[log2(x^2-2x)]^3
d/dx[xlog2(x^2-2x)]^3=3log2(x^2-2x)^2---> Again I don't think this is right so please direct me to the right one.
You need to apply the product rule first. Here you have y = fg where f=x and g=[log 2(x2-2x)]3 (Or is it supposed to be g=[log2 (x2-2x)]3?)
3. y=exp(sqrt(1+5x^3)). This one I don't even know how to begin. Exponent of what?
Exp(x) is just a different way of writing ex, so what you have is[tex]y=e^\sqrt{1+5x^3}[/tex]
4. y=ln(cose^x) using the rule of d/dx[lnu]=1/u x (du/dx) I get dy/dx=(1/cose^x)(-sin(e^x)(e^x)
dy/dx=(1/cose^x)(-e^xsine^x)
dy/dx=(-e^xsine^x)/(cose^x)---> (tane^x)(-e^x)=-e^xtane^x~Please tell me if I did anything wrong
Looks good!
5. Finding the derivative by using implict differentation
y=ln(xtany). Please help me get started
I'd start by using the property [itex]\log ab = \log a + \log b[/itex].
6. Finding the derivative by using logarithmic differentation:
y=5root(x-1/x+1) or (x-1/x+1)^1/5
lny=ln(x-1/x+1)^(1/5)=(1/5)ln(x-1/x+1)
d/dx[(1/5)ln(x-1/x+1)]=(1/5)(x-1/x+1)(2/(x+1)^2+0(ln(x^2+1)
so dy/dx=y[(2x+2)/(5x-5)(x+1)^2]
=5root(x-1/x+1)[2x+2/(5x-5)(x+1)^2][/B]
Is this right?
~Thank you in advance =D
You're good up to[tex]\log y = \frac{1}{5}\log \frac{x-1}{x+1}[/tex]Again, use the fact that log (a/b) = log a - log b to get rid of the quotient first, and then differentiate. That makes things much simpler.

Hello, thank you so much for your help.
~I re-try the first one and I got: 2(sinlnx)(1/x)(cos(lnx)). Can you tell me if this is the right answer?

~the second one I retry and got dy/dx=1 [log2 (x2-2x)]3 + [3log2(x^2-2x)]2 (x)
so to simplified it is : [log2(x2-2x)]3+ x[3log2(x^2-2x)]2~Can you tell me if I'm right?

~The third one i retry it and got y'=(1/2)(1+5x^3)-1/2 * e√1+5x^3
from the rule of y=eu the dy/dx=eu * du/dx

josh_123 said:
Hello, thank you so much for your help.
~I re-try the first one and I got: 2(sinlnx)(1/x)(cos(lnx)). Can you tell me if this is the right answer?
This is correct. Good work!
~the second one I retry and got dy/dx=1 [log2 (x2-2x)]3 + [3log2(x^2-2x)]2 (x)
so to simplified it is : [log2(x2-2x)]3+ x[3log2(x^2-2x)]2~Can you tell me if I'm right?
This one isn't. You didn't calculate g' correctly. You need to use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[\log_2 (x^2-2x)]^3 = 3[\log_2 (x^2-2x)]^2 \frac{d}{dx} [\log_2 (x^2-2x)][/tex]You have the first part correct; you're missing the second part. You'll want to use the fact that log2 u = (ln u)/(ln 2).
~The third one i retry it and got y'=(1/2)(1+5x^3)-1/2 * e√1+5x^3
from the rule of y'=f'(g)(g')
You're almost there. Same mistake as in the second problem. You need to keep using the chain rule. When you differentiate [itex]\sqrt{1+5x^3}[/itex], you need to multiply by the derivative of the inside.

I retry the 2nd one and here is the final answer (with your instructions =D)

dy/dx=1[log2(x^2-2x)]3 + 3[log2(x^2-2x)]2[(ln(x^2-2x)/ln2)(x)]
dy/dx=[log2(x^2-2x)]3 + 3x[log2(x^2-2x)]2 ((ln(x^2-2x)/ln2)
Is this right?:confused:

and I'm sorry I typed the last one wrong. It suppose to be y'=(1/2)(1+5x^3)^-1/2(15x^2) * e√1+5x^3

josh_123 said:
I retry the 2nd one and here is the final answer (with your instructions =D)

dy/dx=1[log2(x^2-2x)]3 + 3[log2(x^2-2x)]2[(ln(x^2-2x)/ln2)(x)]
dy/dx=[log2(x^2-2x)]3 + 3x[log2(x^2-2x)]2 ((ln(x^2-2x)/ln2)
Is this right?:confused:
Nope, not yet. You need to keep applying the chain rule. The base of the log just gives you a constant factor out front:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \log_2 (x^2-2x) = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{\ln (x^2-2x)}{\ln 2} = \frac{1}{\ln 2}\frac{d}{dx} \ln (x^2-2x)[/tex]but you still need to differentiate the natural log and then what's inside of it.
and I'm sorry I typed the last one wrong. It suppose to be y'=(1/2)(1+5x^3)^-1/2(15x^2) * e√1+5x^3
Looks good!

Related to Finding derivative of log and lnx. Please help Need help before test

1. What is the basic concept behind finding the derivative of log and lnx?

The basic concept behind finding the derivative of log and lnx is the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you find the derivative of log and lnx?

To find the derivative of log and lnx, we first rewrite the expression in exponential form. For log, we use the property logb(x) = y if and only if by = x. For lnx, we use the property ln(ex) = x. Then, we use the chain rule to take the derivative, making sure to also apply any necessary product or quotient rules.

3. What is the derivative of log and lnx?

The derivative of log and lnx is 1/x. This can be derived by using the properties of logarithms and the chain rule as mentioned in the previous question.

4. What is the difference between log and lnx?

The main difference between log and lnx is the base of the logarithm. Log uses a specified base (such as 10 or 2) while lnx uses the natural base, e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. This difference affects the properties and rules used in finding the derivative of each function.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in finding the derivative of log and lnx?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in finding the derivative of log and lnx is to solve as many practice problems as possible. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or by asking your teacher for extra problems. Additionally, it can be helpful to review the properties and rules of logarithms and practice applying them in different scenarios.