Finding Cartesian Components Using Cross Product for Magnus Force Calculation

In summary, the problem involves finding the Cartesian components of a vector, given its magnitude and direction described by the cross-product of two other vectors. The underlying physics of the problem is related to the Magnus force, which can be described by the cross-product of the velocity and angular velocity vectors of a ball flying through the air. However, the magnitude of the Magnus force is not equal to the cross-product of the two vectors, and involves the use of trigonometric functions. The solution requires representing the two vectors in Cartesian coordinates and using the magnitude of the Magnus force to determine its components.
zoner7
The pure math of the problem:

I have two vectors, both of which are expressed in spherical coordinates. I know the magnitudes as well as the polar and azimuthal angles that express these vectors.

In addition, I have a third vector. I only know the magnitude of this vector, and I need to find its components in Cartesian coordinates. I know that its direction is described by the cross-product of the first two vectors.

The underlying physics:

The two vectors that I know are the velocity and angular velocity vectors of a ball flying through the air. I am trying to find the Cartesian components of the Magnus force, which can be described by (w X v), where v is the velocity vector and w is the angular velocity

In essence, this is a trigonometry problem; nevertheless, I have no idea how to solve it. can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would write both v and w in Cartesian coordinates to do the vector product.

ehild

I would do that, but the magnitude of the magnus force is not equal to the cross product of the angular velocity and velocity vectors, it is only in that direction.

I need to multiply the magnitude (I have it) by a mess of trigonometric functions.

zoner7 said:
I would do that, but the magnitude of the magnus force is not equal to the cross product of the angular velocity and velocity vectors, it is only in that direction.
If you are using the cross product to define a direction, then what does its magnitude have to do with anything? :confused:

Related to Finding Cartesian Components Using Cross Product for Magnus Force Calculation

1. What are the two vectors involved in a cross product?

In a cross product, there are two vectors: the first vector is called the left-hand vector, denoted by a, and the second vector is called the right-hand vector, denoted by b.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a cross product?

The magnitude of a cross product can be calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them: |a x b| = |a| * |b| * sin(θ), where θ is the angle between a and b.

3. What is the direction of a cross product?

The direction of a cross product is perpendicular to both of the original vectors, following the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl your fingers from the first vector a to the second vector b, the direction of the cross product will be in the direction of your thumb.

4. What is the purpose of a cross product in vector algebra?

A cross product is used to find a vector perpendicular to two given vectors, and is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics. It can also be used to find the area of a parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

5. Can a cross product be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, a cross product can be extended to higher dimensions, but it is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. In higher dimensions, a similar operation called the wedge product is used to calculate the cross product.