Finding Capacitor Voltage Time Dependencies

In summary: If you want to make a correction, make a new post with the correction.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the capacitor voltage time dependencies for two capacitors in an electrical circuit. The teacher provides feedback on the solution provided, mentioning that the initial conditions and steady-state should be equal but are not in the given solution. They also mention that the difference between the initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in a first-order circuit. The student asks for clarification and the conversation continues with a discussion on the use of limits and how it affects the solution.
@lex@nder
New member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

The switch is closed at the moment t=0 and initial capacitor voltages are V01 and V02. How to find capacitor voltage time dependencies for both capacitors.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

bezymjannyj-png.87168.png
bezymjannyj2-png.87170.png
[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried till now ?

Qwertywerty said:
What have you tried till now ?

Attachments

• Безымянный.png
    Безымянный.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 568
  • Безымянный2.png
    Безымянный2.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 561
Qwertywerty said:
It seems fine .
I also think so, but my teacher's feedback:
"Time constant and steady-state are OK but the whole solution not - when I substitute t=0 and I don't get V1(0) and V2(0).

Steady-state may be found using charge conservation law. The difference between initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in the 1st order circuit.

So please make another (final) iteration."

I think I see a mistake - you first use indefinite integration for ' i ' as a function of ' t ' .
You don't use the limits correctly , i.e. , you don't subtract ' i ' at t = 0 .

Correct this , and then we can check if some other error creeps up .

Hope this helps .

Qwertywerty said:
I think I see a mistake - you first use indefinite integration for ' i ' as a function of ' t ' .

Hope this helps .
I did not quiet get it. What limits should I use: t and 0?

Likes Qwertywerty
[USER=32958]@lex[/USER]@nder said:
I did not quiet get it. What limits should I use: t and 0?
Could you explain what my teacher wanted to say by: "the whole solution not - when I substitute t=0 and I don't get V1(0) and V2(0)" and "difference between initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in the 1st order circuit"

[USER=32958]@lex[/USER]@nder said:
Could you explain what my teacher wanted to say by: "the whole solution not - when I substitute t=0 and I don't get V1(0) and V2(0)" and "difference between initial condition and steady-state decays exponentially in the 1st order circuit"
The first part - At t = 0 , by your solution , V1 is not equal to V10 , as given in the question . Same for the other capacitor's initial potential drop ( V20 ) .

The second part - This means that q ( charge on anyone capacitor at time t ) would be such a function that -

q0 - q = k.ek1 , where k and k1 are some constants that will be found on solving entirely .

Qwertywerty said:

Hope this helps .
Isn't there when t=0: V1(0)=V10? Because by calculation I get the same equation.

Did you mean this? But answer doesn't change.

@@lex@nder, please stop deleting the content of your posts. When other people have responded, deleting your posts makes it impossible to follow the discussion.

Related to Finding Capacitor Voltage Time Dependencies

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating a potential difference between the plates. This stored energy can then be released when needed.

2. What is the time constant of a capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance of the capacitor (measured in farads) by the resistance in the circuit (measured in ohms).

3. How do you find the voltage across a capacitor over time?

The voltage across a capacitor over time can be found using the equation V(t) = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V0 is the maximum voltage, t is time, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. This equation is derived from the discharge curve of a capacitor and is known as the voltage-time dependency equation.

4. What factors can affect the voltage-time dependency of a capacitor?

The voltage-time dependency of a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance in the circuit, and the initial voltage applied to the capacitor. Additionally, other factors such as temperature, humidity, and the type of dielectric material used in the capacitor can also impact the voltage-time dependency.

5. How is the voltage-time dependency of a capacitor used in practical applications?

The voltage-time dependency of a capacitor is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in power supply circuits, timing circuits, and signal processing circuits. It is also used in electronic devices to smooth out fluctuations in voltage and provide a stable source of electrical energy. In communication systems, capacitors are used to filter out unwanted frequencies, while in audio systems they are used to store and release energy for a smoother sound output.