Finding Beautiful QM Reads for Undergrad Exam

In summary: I'm always happy to hear feedback on book recommendations. In summary, if you are looking for good books to deepen your understanding and appreciation of quantum mechanics, I would recommend:1. "Quantum Mechanics: Non-relativistic Theory" by Landau and Lifshitz2. "Entanglement, The Greatest Mystery in Physics" by Amir D. Aczel3. "QM - A Modern Development" by Ballentine4. "Mechanics" by Landau5. "Do we really understand quantum mechanics?" by F. Laloe.
Peppe
I'm looking for good books to give me some more "taste" on beautiful aspects of QM. I'm actually studying for my undergraduate exam on the 27th november that comes in a strong academic flavour and would love a relaxed but deep reading.

For example i totally loved Robbins's "What is mathematics?" while studying for my calculus exam or some stuff from Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis" while studying, oh yep, complex analysis :P. I liked how both author guided me through arguments i already studied, eventually pointing out beautiful things one may eventually ignore while worrying to learn "doing" things. Robbins's paragraph about fundamental theorem of calculus is a huge example at my eyes. I do appreciate but am not really a big fan of Feynman's lectures.

Let me know and pardon the bad english, that's not my first language!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend the opening chapter of Landau and Lifshitz's "Quantum Mechanics: Non-relativistic Theory".

http://mattleifer.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/commandments.pdf
Ten Commandments of the Church of the Smaller Hilbert Space

http://www.tau.ac.il/~quantum/Vaidman/IQM/BellAM.pdf
Against ‘measurement’
John Bell

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.2661
Einstein, incompleteness, and the epistemic view of quantum states
Nicholas Harrigan, Robert W. Spekkens

http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.6451
Informational derivation of Quantum Theory
G. Chiribella, G. M. D'Ariano, P. Perinotti

I would recommend book by Amir D. Aczel: Entanglement, The Greatest Mystery in Physics. Which is available as an audio book and gets better with repeated listenings.

Thank you for your suggestions! I think i'll love your submissions atyy, i'll let you know :)!

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Peppe said:
For example i totally loved Robbins's "What is mathematics?" while studying for my calculus exam or some stuff from Needham's "Visual Complex Analysis" while studying, oh yep, complex analysis :p. I liked how both author guided me through arguments i already studied, eventually pointing out beautiful things one may eventually ignore while worrying to learn "doing" things.
I have seen both books you mention, so if you want something on a similar level I would suggest:
F. Laloe, Do we really understand quantum mechanics?
There is a shorter free article version http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0209123
and a longer book version
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110702501X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bobba and demystifier! I'll check your suggestions, if you are happy with that i'll report back in a few weeks :)

Peppe said:
Thanks bobba and demystifier! I'll check your suggestions, if you are happy with that i'll report back in a few weeks :)
That would be great!

Likes bhobba

Related to Finding Beautiful QM Reads for Undergrad Exam

1. What are some good resources for finding beautiful quantum mechanics reads for an undergraduate exam?

One of the best resources for finding beautiful quantum mechanics reads is your textbook. Most textbooks have clear and concise explanations of key concepts and often include practice problems with solutions. Another great resource is online lecture notes or tutorials from reputable universities, such as MIT or Caltech. Additionally, online forums and discussion boards can also be helpful for finding recommended readings from other students or professors.

2. How do I know if a quantum mechanics read is appropriate for an undergraduate level exam?

There are a few key indicators to look for when determining if a quantum mechanics read is appropriate for an undergraduate level exam. First, the language and level of technicality should be suitable for an undergraduate student. The content should also align with the topics covered in your course syllabus. Additionally, the complexity of the problems and examples should be appropriate for an undergraduate level.

3. Are there any specific topics or concepts that I should focus on when looking for quantum mechanics reads for an undergraduate exam?

It is important to focus on the topics and concepts that are covered in your course syllabus when looking for quantum mechanics reads for an undergraduate exam. However, some key areas to prioritize include the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition, uncertainty principle, and wave-particle duality. It is also important to have a solid understanding of mathematical techniques, such as linear algebra and calculus, that are used in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any online resources that provide practice problems for quantum mechanics exams?

Yes, there are many online resources that provide practice problems for quantum mechanics exams. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Stack Exchange, and OpenStax. These resources often have a variety of practice problems with solutions and explanations, making them a valuable tool for exam preparation. Additionally, many textbooks also have online resources, such as practice quizzes and exams, to help students prepare for exams.

5. How can I effectively incorporate quantum mechanics reads into my exam preparation strategy?

There are a few ways to effectively incorporate quantum mechanics reads into your exam preparation strategy. First, try to read and review your textbook and lecture notes regularly to reinforce key concepts. Next, practice solving problems from your textbook or other online resources to apply what you have learned. Make sure to also review any practice exams or quizzes provided by your professor. Finally, participate in study groups or attend review sessions to discuss and clarify any difficult concepts with your peers.