Fun, Beautiful Maths book recommendations

In summary, the conversation is about a request for fun and friendly math book recommendations that cover topics not commonly taught at the school or undergraduate level. The person making the request provides some examples of books they have enjoyed and clarifies that they are looking for thought-provoking and beautiful ideas, rather than difficult or advanced concepts. They also ask for recommendations and clarification on a specific book.
Maths Absorber
Hi guys,

I came across a really interesting thread in the Internet where the author was asking for fun, but serious Maths book recommendations. I saw plenty of excellent books being recommended there and thought I'd start a similar thread over here :)

Some characteristics of the books should be :
1. They should be readable and friendly.
2. They should be dealing with topics that are not commonly taught at the school or undergraduate level.

I don't want books dealing with very commonly taught topics like differential equations, or Calculus by Spivak, which though elegant is not what I'm looking for.

Here are some examples of books I liked to make myself clearer :
1. Visual Complex Analysis by Tristan Needham - I like this book for the simplicity and the sheer beauty of it all.
2. Cauchy-Scwhartz Inequalities - Micheal Steele - Mathematical inequalities are not a very advanced topic, yes. But, it's also not taught extensively.the author describes this book as a master class where mathematicians come to fine tune their skills, and that's exactly what it is. I loved it.
3. Concrete Mathematics - Graham Knuth and Patashnik - Again a very readable book. It doesn't deal with mathematics that is very advanced, but then again it gives a very beautiful and new treatment to it.I hope this gives you a clear idea. If you have any questions regarding what I'm looking for, you could ask in addition to your recommendations .

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a fictional book or more like a textbook ?

I think these are fun and friendly... but not an easy read... but definitely filled with thought-provoking beautiful ideas ("that is an interesting way to see it...")

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521406498/?tag=pfamazon01-20
A Course in Mathematics for Students of Physics - Bamberg and Sternberg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521269296/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Applied DIfferential Geometry - Burke

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961408804/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Introduction to Applied Mathematics - Strang

my $0.03

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll definitely check them out.

Related to Fun, Beautiful Maths book recommendations

1. What are some fun and beautiful math books for beginners?

Some fun and beautiful math books for beginners include "The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity" by Steven Strogatz, "How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics" by Eugenia Cheng, and "Math with Bad Drawings: Illuminating the Ideas That Shape Our Reality" by Ben Orlin.

2. Are there any math books that are visually appealing?

Yes, there are many math books that are visually appealing. Some examples include "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" by Benoit Mandelbrot, "Symmetry: A Journey into the Patterns of Nature" by Marcus du Sautoy, and "The Beauty of Numbers in Nature: Mathematical Patterns and Principles from the Natural World" by Ian Stewart.

3. Can you recommend a math book that is both educational and entertaining?

Absolutely, "The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure" by Hans Magnus Enzensberger is a great choice. It uses a fictional story to introduce different mathematical concepts and engage readers of all ages.

4. Are there any math books that are suitable for children?

Yes, there are many math books that are suitable for children. Some popular choices include "The Grapes of Math: Mind-Stretching Math Riddles" by Greg Tang, "Bedtime Math: A Fun Excuse to Stay Up Late" by Laura Overdeck, and "Math Curse" by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.

5. Are there any math books that explore the intersection of math and art?

Yes, "The Art of Mathematics: Coffee Time in Memphis" by Bela Bollobas and "Mathematics and Art: A Cultural History" by Lynn Gamwell are both great options. They delve into the connections between math and art and how they have influenced each other throughout history.