Finding Average Value of function

In summary, the problem is to find the average value of the function g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 on the region x^2 + 2xy + 2y^2 -4y =8. The solution involves completing the square of the region and using the substitutions u = x+y and v = y-2 to get the simplified equation u^2 + v^2 = 12, which represents a circle with radius 2sqrt3. The solution then involves solving for x and y in terms of u and v and plugging them into the original function. The region of integration is a one-dimensional hyperbola.
Jimmy21

Homework Statement

Find the average value of the function g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 on the region x^2 + 2xy + 2y^2 -4y =8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far, I complete the square of the region that we want to find average value, x^2 + 2xy + 2y^2 -4y =8. And after completed the square I got, (x+y)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 12. Then I let u = x+y, v = y-2, therefore, i got u^2 + v^2 = 12, which is just a circle with radius 2sqrt3. Then I solve for x and y to plug it into the original function, x = u-v-2, y = v + 2.
After that, I plug it into g(x,y), which I then have, [int][int] (u-v-2)^2 + (v+2)^2, integrate from theta = 0 to 2pi, and r = 0 to 2sqrt3, using polar coordinate. Is the way i did on this problem right so far? I'm not exactly sure of myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
The region of integration is one-dimensional. Justthe circle, not the interior, so there's no need for a double integral.

Good point about the one-dimensionality, but that's not a circle, it's a hyperbola. A circle would never have an "xy" term.

Related to Finding Average Value of function

What is the definition of average value of a function?

The average value of a function is the value that represents the average height of the function over a given interval. It is calculated by dividing the total area under the curve of the function by the length of the interval.

How is the average value of a function calculated?

The average value of a function is calculated by taking the integral of the function over the given interval and then dividing it by the length of the interval.

Why is it important to find the average value of a function?

Finding the average value of a function is important because it gives us a single value that represents the behavior of the function over a given interval. It can help us understand the overall trend or behavior of the function and make predictions about its future behavior.

Can the average value of a function be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function can be negative. This can happen if the function has negative values over the given interval, which results in a negative total area under the curve when calculating the average value.

Is there a difference between average value and mean value of a function?

No, the terms average value and mean value of a function are often used interchangeably and refer to the same concept. Both represent the central tendency of the function over a given interval.