Finding arc length using integration

In summary: Another method could involve using parametric equations and finding the arc length using the formula S=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}+(\frac{dy}{dt})^{2}}dt, where t is the parameter. However, since the given function is already in terms of x and y, it may be easier to stick with the method you used.
subzero0137
Find the length of the positive arc of the curve [itex]y=cosh^{-1}(x)[/itex] (for which y≥0) between [itex]x=1[/itex] and [itex]x=\sqrt{5}[/itex].
My attempt: [itex]x=cosh(y) → \frac{dx}{dy} = sinh(y) → (\frac{dx}{dy})^{2}=sinh^{2}(y)[/itex], so [itex]ds=dy\sqrt{1+sinh^{2}(y)}[/itex], therefore the arc length is [itex]S=\int_{y=0}^{y=cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{5})} cosh(y) dy= 2[/itex]. Is this right? Even if it is, is there another method of doing it (e.g. parametric equations)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No you have to integrate between 1 and sqrt(5).

dirk_mec1 said:
No you have to integrate between 1 and sqrt(5).

But those are the x limits. If I want to integrate with respect to dy, I need y limits. I could've used dy/dx instead of dx/dy, but I don't know how to differentiate [itex]y=cosh^{-1}(x)[/itex].

subzero0137 said:
Find the length of the positive arc of the curve [itex]y=cosh^{-1}(x)[/itex] (for which y≥0) between [itex]x=1[/itex] and [itex]x=\sqrt{5}[/itex].

My attempt: [itex]x=cosh(y) → \frac{dx}{dy} = sinh(y) → (\frac{dx}{dy})^{2}=sinh^{2}(y)[/itex], so [itex]ds=dy\sqrt{1+sinh^{2}(y)}[/itex], therefore the arc length is [itex]S=\int_{y=0}^{y=cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{5})} cosh(y) dy= 2[/itex]. Is this right? Even if it is, is there another method of doing it (e.g. parametric equations)?
Looks fine to me.

Related to Finding arc length using integration

1. What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or arc, measured from one endpoint to another.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using integration, which involves finding the integral of the curve's equation over a given interval.

3. Why is integration used to find arc length?

Integration is used because it allows for an accurate measurement of the length of a curve, which cannot be easily calculated using traditional geometry methods.

4. What is the formula for finding arc length using integration?

The formula for finding arc length using integration is: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where L represents the arc length, dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation, and dx is the differential of the independent variable.

5. Can arc length be negative?

No, arc length cannot be negative. It represents the distance along a curve, which is always a positive value.