Finding an Integration Factor for (Cos(2y)-Sin (x)) dx-2 Tan (x) Sin (2y) dy = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making an equation exact using a partial derivative and an integration factor. The individual has calculated (My-Nx)/N and obtained a function of x only and is now looking for an appropriate integration factor.
ISU20CpreE
Hi there i am trying to make this equation look exact.

[tex](Cos(2y)-Sin (x)) dx-2 Tan (x) Sin (2y) dy = 0 [/tex]

What I've done so far is take the partial with respect to x and y.

So, my

[tex]M_{y}[/tex] is equal to [tex]-2 Sin (2y)-0[/tex] and,

my [tex]N_{x}[/tex] is equal to [tex]-2(Sec^{2}(x)) Sin (2y)[/tex]

Which makes it not exact. So, then I tried using
[tex]\frac{M_{y}-N_{x}}{-N}[/tex] and,

here is where I have tried so many times to find out a way to find an Integration Factor (I.F.)

Any suggestions will help, thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
But, other than saying that you calculated (My- Nx)/(-N) (and you don't say what you got for that), you don't say what you have tried!

Why did you calculate (My- Nx)/N (which was in fact a very good thing to do!) ? What did it tell you?

HallsofIvy said:
But, other than saying that you calculated (My- Nx)/(-N) (and you don't say what you got for that), you don't say what you have tried!

Why did you calculate (My- Nx)/N (which was in fact a very good thing to do!) ? What did it tell you?

Sorry for not specifying I got:

[tex] \frac {2Sin(2y)}{Cos^2 x} -Sin (2y) [/tex]

and my integration factor is the one i need help on.

Last edited:
Well, that can't be right. I thought that the whole reason you mentioned (Mx- Ny)/N was because it gave you something worthwhile!

M= cos(2y)- sin(x) so My= -2sin(2y). N= 2tan(x)sin(2y) so Nx= 2sec2(x)sin(2y). My- Nx= -2sin(2y)- 2tan(x)sin(2y)= -2sin(2y)(1- tan(x)). (My- Nx)/N= -2sin(2y)(1- tan(x))/2tan(x)sin(2y)= -2(1- tan(x))/2tan(x) which is a function of x only.

I thought the reason you mentioned (My- Nx)/ was the fact that you recognized that that was a function of x only and therefore that an integrating factor would be a function of x only.

If we multiply the equation by some f(x) we get
[tex](cos(2y)-sin(x))f(x)dy- 2tan(x)sin(2y)f(x)dx= 0[/itex]
and, in order that this be an exact equation we must have
(-2sin(2y)f+ (cos(2y)- sin(x))f'= 2tan(x)sin(2y)f'+ -2tan(x)sin(2y)f
That is an equation in x only for f.

Related to Finding an Integration Factor for (Cos(2y)-Sin (x)) dx-2 Tan (x) Sin (2y) dy = 0

1. What is an integration factor?

An integration factor is a function that is used to solve an equation that is not in the standard form for integration. It is multiplied with both sides of the equation to make it solvable.

2. How can I determine the integration factor for a given equation?

The integration factor can be determined by looking at the coefficients of the terms in the equation. If the coefficients can be expressed as a function of one variable, then that function is the integration factor.

3. Can I use any function as an integration factor?

No, the function chosen as an integration factor must satisfy certain conditions. It must be a continuous function, and its derivative must be equal to the coefficient of the term that it is multiplied with.

4. What are the steps for finding an integration factor for a given equation?

The steps for finding an integration factor are as follows:

1. Identify the terms in the given equation and their coefficients.
  2. Check if the coefficients can be expressed as a function of one variable.
  3. If yes, that function is the integration factor.
  4. If not, try multiplying the equation by a constant to get the coefficients in the desired form.
  5. Once the integration factor is determined, multiply both sides of the equation by it.
  6. Solve the resulting equation using standard integration techniques.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct after using an integration factor?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, then it is the correct solution. Additionally, you can also take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original equation.