Finding a Plane with Zero Circulation for a Given Vector Field

In summary, using Stokes' theorem and algebra, the equation of the plane through the origin with the property that the line integral of the vector field f is equal to 0 for any closed curve lying in the plane is x+2y+5z=0.
bfr

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is a vector field such that curl f=(1,2,5) at every point in R^3. Find an equation of a plane through the origin with the property that [tex]\oint_{C}[/tex]f dot dX = 0 for any closed curve C lying in the plane.

Homework Equations

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/291/1fdf437d8e18a23191b63dfnj8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

With Stokes' theorem and a bit of algebra I get: [tex]\int\int[/tex] ( 1,2,5) dot [tex]\nabla[/tex]g dy dx) = 0 . So, 1*dx+2*dy+3*dz=0; let dx=1; let dy=1; dz=-1. The resulting plane is x+y-z=0. Is this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want curl(F)=(1,2,5) to be normal to the plane, right? I don't think that gives you x+y-z=0.

Er, oops :eek:.

Then I guess x+2y+5z=0 would simply be the answer?

bfr said:
Er, oops :eek:.

Then I guess x+2y+5z=0 would simply be the answer?

Seems so to me.

Related to Finding a Plane with Zero Circulation for a Given Vector Field

What is a force field?

A force field is a region in space where a force acts on objects within that region. It is represented by a vector field, which assigns a direction and magnitude to the force at every point in the field.

What are some common types of force fields?

Some common types of force fields include gravitational fields, electric fields, and magnetic fields. These fields can be created by objects with mass, electric charge, or magnetic properties.

How are force fields and curl related?

Curl is a mathematical concept used to describe the rotation of a vector field. In the context of force fields, curl measures the tendency of the force to create a rotational motion. Force fields with a non-zero curl are known as rotational fields.

Can force fields be visualized?

Yes, force fields can be visualized through the use of vector field plots. These plots use arrows to represent the direction and magnitude of the force at different points in the field, allowing scientists to better understand the behavior of the force at different locations.

What are some real-life applications of force fields?

Force fields have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include predicting weather patterns, designing aircrafts and vehicles, and studying the behavior of particles in quantum physics.