Finding a Good Job Post Grad: Physics PhD

• Thread starter super_position
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Job
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a graduate degree in physics for the love of the subject, despite the potential challenges in finding a job in academia. It is suggested that a career in applied fields such as solid state physics may increase the chances of success. The speaker, who has a PhD in experimental astronomy, shares their personal experience of working in various fields related to their degree, including academia, technical industry, and software engineering.
super_position
Good day all,
I'm on the cusp of venturing into the realm of graduate school in physics. I'm set on physics simply for the love of the subject, and I'm willing to risk a more lucrative career for a much more fulfilling subject.
Everyone knows the jobs in academia aren't easily found. But career's in general with a physics PhD are wide. So what would a subjective guess at the probability of working years on a physics education and getting a master's degree or a PhD and being left high-and-dry without a career in physics, physics related, scantily physics related fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty good, actually. Definitely over 50%. You'd better be sure you love it. If you do then failure is fun too. More seriously, if you go into an applied field like solid state physics as opposed to grand unified theories you can probably beat that 50%.

Signed, Bitter

Last edited:
From my dept (astronomy) I would say that 50% went into academic jobs, or at least a couple of post docs. The others were split between the city (derivatives quants) and technical industry - not necessarily directly using their speciality but doing software, mathematical modelling, technical consultancy and general technical project management.

Mu PhD was experimental astronomy - I built an infrared interferometer. Since then I have done 2 postdocs building astronomical instruments, worked for an international technical consultancy, a software startup and now I am a software engineer/inventor/ideas person for a company making laser measuring systems.

Related to Finding a Good Job Post Grad: Physics PhD

1. What types of jobs can I pursue with a Physics PhD?

With a Physics PhD, you can pursue a variety of careers in both academia and industry. Some common job options include research scientist, data analyst, consultant, engineer, and professor.

2. How can I stand out in the job market with a Physics PhD?

To stand out in the job market with a Physics PhD, it is important to not only have strong technical skills but also soft skills such as communication, problem-solving, and adaptability. Additionally, gaining relevant experience through internships or research projects can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. What are some helpful resources for finding job opportunities as a Physics PhD?

Some helpful resources for finding job opportunities as a Physics PhD include job search engines such as Indeed or Glassdoor, professional networking platforms like LinkedIn, and job fairs or conferences in your field. It can also be beneficial to reach out to your university's career center for assistance.

4. How can I negotiate a higher salary as a Physics PhD?

Negotiating a higher salary as a Physics PhD can be challenging, but it is important to do your research and know your worth in the job market. You can use resources such as salary comparison websites or talk to professionals in your field to get an idea of the average salary range for your position. Additionally, be prepared to explain why you deserve a higher salary based on your qualifications and the value you will bring to the company.

5. What are some transferable skills I can highlight on my resume as a Physics PhD?

Some transferable skills you can highlight on your resume as a Physics PhD include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, project management, and technical writing. These skills can be applied to a variety of industries and can make you a valuable asset to potential employers.