Finding a and b in the equation of an ellipse

• Thread starter Quisquis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
Using |dm|=0.01, find |dA|.In summary, the equation of an ellipse with vertices (\pma,0) and (0,\pmb) and a slope m= -0.5 in the point (1,1) can be solved by implicit differentiation. By substituting the given values of x and y into the equation, a and b can be determined. The next part of the question involves finding the maximum error in the area of the ellipse using differentials. This can be done by finding a and b in terms of the slope m, then using A=pi*a*b and differentiating with respect to m. The absolute value of the slope error can then be substituted to find the maximum error
Quisquis

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1[/tex] be the equation of an ellipse with vertices ([tex]\pm[/tex]a,0) and (0,[tex]\pm[/tex]b), and a slope m= -0.5 in the point (1,1).

Find a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've solved for a and b in relation to each other, but I'm not sure how to solve them specifically.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}=1\right)[/tex]

which led me to:

[tex]\frac{2x}{a^{2}}+\frac{2yy'}{b^{2}}=0[/tex]

solving for a and b:

[tex]b=\sqrt{-\frac{2yy'a^{2}}{2x}}[/tex][tex]a=\sqrt{-\frac{2xb^{2}}{2yy'}}[/tex]

simplifying using the point (1,1) for x and y and -0.5 for y' I got:

[tex]b=\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

[tex]a=b\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Substituting [tex]b\sqrt{2}=a[/tex] for [tex]a^{2}[/tex] in the derivative eq, I got:

[tex]\frac{2x}{2b^{2}}+\frac{2yy'}{b^{2}}=0[/tex]

plugging in the point (1,1) for x and y and y'=-0.5

[tex]\frac{1}{b^{2}}-\frac{1}{b^{2}}=0[/tex]

I get the same kind of thing for a, which is nice but it doesn't seem useful.

Using the same substitution in the original eq, I got [tex]b=\sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is then I know I can do that in the same way for a.

Some help if I'm on the wrong track would be appreciated, and if I'm on the right track I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks very much for your help guys.

EDIT: solving for a in the original eq, I got [tex]a=\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Caveat: I haven't checked your work.

You can solve this problem much more quickly by solving for y' in the equation 2x/(a^2) + 2yy'/(b^2) = 0.

Then substitute for x and y and y', which gives you an equation in a and b.
Substitute the known values of x and y in your equation of the ellipse, which gives you a different equation in a and b. From these two equations you should be able to get a and b quickly.

You got the right results ([itex]a=\surd 3[/itex], [itex]b=\surd3/\surd 2[/itex]), but you sure did it the hard way! That you are not sure of your results suggests that you might have just lucked into finding the right solution.

You are right that [itex]a=b\surd 2[/itex]. A much easier way to arrive at this result is by implicit differentiation of [itex](x/a)^2+(y/b)^2=1[/tex]: [itex]2x/a^2+2yy'/b^2=0[/itex]. Then using the given fact that the ellipse passes through the point (1,1) yields a specific value for b and thence a.

Then using the given fact that the ellipse passes through the point (1,1) yields a specific value for b and thence a.

I used implicit derivation to solve for a and b, but don't you have to plug them into the 1st eq to get an actual value for them?

Either way, there's a part b. :D

The question then asks to find the max error in the area [tex](A=ab\pi)[/tex] if the slope contained a max error of 0.01. It specifically asks to find it using differentials.

I know that it is just [tex]dy=A'dx[/tex], but to get to that point, I need the area in terms of the slope and I'm not sure how to do that.

In the first part you found a and b in terms of the slope m=(-0.5). Repeat the same exercise with m an unknown to find a(m) and b(m). Then use A(m)=pi*a(m)*b(m) and differentiate with respect to m.

Related to Finding a and b in the equation of an ellipse

1. What is an ellipse and how is it different from a circle?

An ellipse is a closed curved shape that resembles an elongated or flattened circle. It is different from a circle because it has two distinct radii, a major axis and a minor axis, whereas a circle has only one radius.

2. How do I find the center of an ellipse?

The center of an ellipse is the point where its major and minor axes intersect. To find the center, you can use the formula (h,k) where h is the x-coordinate of the center and k is the y-coordinate.

3. What are the equations for the major and minor axes of an ellipse?

The equation for the major axis is 2a, where a is the length of the semi-major axis. The equation for the minor axis is 2b, where b is the length of the semi-minor axis.

4. How do I find the values of a and b in the equation of an ellipse?

The equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse. To find the values of a and b, you can use the length of the major and minor axes or the coordinates of any two points on the ellipse.

5. Can I find a and b for an ellipse with a different orientation?

Yes, you can find a and b for an ellipse with a different orientation by using the appropriate formulas for rotating an ellipse. These formulas involve calculating the angle of rotation and using trigonometric functions to find the new values of a and b.