Find v(t) the velocity vector of a projectile given a(t).

In summary: However, in this case, the constants V0 and theta are not related to the anti-derivative and should not be affected by the integration process.In summary, the conversation is about integrating an equation for a projectile with air resistance and difficulty in finding the correct value due to confusion about constants of integration. The user is seeking help from others to understand the problem better.
ShakeECET109

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a projectile launched from an initial height of h ft with initial speed V0 ft/sec and angle of elevation theta. We will attempt to model air resistance by assuming acceleration vector given by...

a(t)= (-.2)(V0)cos(theta)e^(-.2t)i-(.2)((V0)sin(theta)+160))e^(-.2t)j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to integrate this equation, but I am not getting the correct value.
The teacher gave us a hint that v(0)=(V0)cos(theta) i+ (v0)sin(theta) j

Physics news on Phys.org
θ is just a constant, so it should be easy to integrate a(t) .

i component
[PLAIN]http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP27119ha2d01ca4299bi000030d6c3af4h784902?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=32&w=352&h=34

j component
[URL]http://www2.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP477919ha2b5d070h1318000054ch856h732hh6ac?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=16&w=442&h=34][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I can integrate it but the teacher said

Find the velocity vector of the projectile (remember that v(0)= V0*cos(theta)i+V0sin(theta)j

every time I integrate a(t) to get v(t) then plug t=0 I cannot get rid of the +160

theta and V0 are constants

anyone?? really need help on this

How did you get rid of your constants of integration?

I did not get rid of the constants V0 and theta I just put them outside of the integral. I got a couple similar answers, but I did not understand the comment he put under the question. I am stiff confused on this problem

ShakeECET109 said:
I did not get rid of the constants V0 and theta I just put them outside of the integral. I got a couple similar answers, but I did not understand the comment he put under the question. I am still confused on this problem
Those are not constants of integration.

When you find an anti-derivative there is a constant of integration, usually C, that is added to the result.

Related to Find v(t) the velocity vector of a projectile given a(t).

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched into the air and moves through the air due to the force of gravity.

2. How is velocity vector related to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, so the velocity vector is directly related to acceleration. In other words, the velocity vector represents the direction and magnitude of an object's movement, while acceleration represents how quickly that movement is changing.

3. What does "v(t)" mean in this context?

In this context, "v(t)" is a shorthand notation for the velocity vector at a specific time, t. It is used to represent how the velocity of a projectile changes over time.

4. How is the velocity vector of a projectile calculated?

The velocity vector of a projectile can be calculated by integrating the acceleration vector over time. This involves using calculus and applying the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Can the velocity vector of a projectile change direction?

Yes, the velocity vector of a projectile can change direction if the acceleration vector changes direction. This typically occurs when the projectile reaches the highest point of its trajectory and begins to fall back down due to the force of gravity.