Find Unit Vectors for f(x,y) w/ D_uf=0

In summary: However, that maximum value, \sqrt{2}, is irrelevant here. You are looking for two unit vectors perpendicular to \nabla f.In summary, you are asked to find two unit vectors perpendicular to the gradient of the function f(x,y)=x^2-xy+y^2. The given vector u=i+j is not relevant to this problem. The previous questions may have used u, but the maximum value of D_uf is not needed here. The directional derivative D_vf is defined as the dot product of the gradient and a unit vector in the same direction as v. Since you want D_vf to be 0, you need to find two unit vectors perpendicular to \nabla f.
Cpt Qwark

Homework Statement

For [tex]f(x,y)=x^2-xy+y^2[/tex] and the vector [tex]u=i+j[/tex].
ii)Find two unit vectors such [tex]D_vf=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if relevant but the previous questions were asking for the unit vector u - which I got [tex]\hat{u}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(i+j)[/tex] for the maximum value of [tex]D_uf[/tex] which was [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
The directional derivative is defined as
[tex]D_{v}f = \nabla f \cdot \mathbf{v}[/tex]
Your task is to find two vectors [itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] such that [itex]D_{v}f = 0[/itex].

Cpt Qwark said:

Homework Statement

For [tex]f(x,y)=x^2-xy+y^2[/tex] and the vector [tex]u=i+j[/tex].
ii)Find two unit vectors such [tex]D_vf=0[/tex]
This problem doesn't have anything to do with the vector "u". Why is that given? [itex]D_vf[/itex] is the dot product of the gradient, [itex]\nabla f[/itex], and a unit vector in the same direction as vector v. Since you want that to be 0, you are looking for two unit vectors perpendicular to [itex]\nabla f[/itex].

2. Homework Equations
N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure if relevant but the previous questions were asking for the unit vector u - which I got [tex]\hat{u}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(i+j)[/tex] for the maximum value of [tex]D_uf[/tex] which was [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].
So "u" was used in previous questions?

Related to Find Unit Vectors for f(x,y) w/ D_uf=0

1. What are unit vectors?

Unit vectors are vectors that have a magnitude of 1 and are used to indicate direction in a given space. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you find unit vectors for a given function?

To find unit vectors for a function, you need to take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you can use those partial derivatives to create a vector and divide it by its magnitude to get a unit vector.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors in vector calculus?

Unit vectors are important in vector calculus because they allow us to represent and manipulate vectors in a more simplified manner. They also help us understand the direction and magnitude of a vector in a given space.

4. How does finding unit vectors relate to the equation Duf=0?

The equation Duf=0 represents the directional derivative of a function in the direction of a given unit vector. By finding unit vectors for a function, we can then use them to calculate the directional derivative and determine the direction in which the function is changing the fastest.

5. Can unit vectors be negative?

No, unit vectors cannot be negative. As mentioned earlier, they have a magnitude of 1, which means they cannot have a negative value. However, they can indicate a direction that is opposite to the original vector's direction.