Find time to reach ball. 1D motion

In summary, the problem involves a basketball player throwing a ball up in the air and the ball traveling 3.2 meters before stopping. The player then jumps after a delay of 0.5 seconds and the question is what velocity does he need to reach the ball. Using the equations vf^2=v1^2+2as and vf=vi+aot, the initial velocity of the ball is found to be 7.919 m/s and the time it takes the ball to reach the maximum height is 0.808 seconds. To solve for the player's motion, the same method is used, taking into account the 0.5 second delay and the fact that the player needs to reach the same point in the same
baird.lindsay

Homework Statement

basket ball player throws a ball up in the air and the ball travels 3.2meters before stopping. if the basketball player jumps .5 seconds after throwing the ball. what velocity does he need to reach the ball.

Homework Equations

vf^2=v1^2+2as
sf=si+vot+1/2at^2
vf=vi+aot

The Attempt at a Solution

i use vf^2=vo^2+2as to solve for the initial velocity of the ball which i get 7.919 m/s . I solve for the time it takes the ball to reach the max height by using vf=vi+aot and i get .808 seconds. I have no idea had to solve then for the basketball player? Do i use the same method as the ball and if i do; what do i do with the .5 second delay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the point is for the player to reach the the highest point of the ball's trajectory at the same time as the ball does.

You have found how long the ball takes to reach that point, and you are told the delay. The player must reach the same point in the same time, starting after the delay. Use the same method as before to find the player's motion. I don't know what you are supposed to do about the player's height.

It is best to quote the problem exactly instead of paraphrasing, because some vital information might get left out or unintentionally misstated.

Related to Find time to reach ball. 1D motion

1. How do you find the time to reach a ball in 1D motion?

The time to reach a ball in 1D motion can be calculated using the formula t = d/v, where t is the time, d is the distance, and v is the velocity. Simply plug in the values for d and v to find the time.

2. What is 1D motion?

1D motion refers to motion that occurs in a straight line, with no change in direction. It can be described using only one coordinate axis, such as distance or time.

3. What are the factors that affect the time to reach a ball in 1D motion?

The time to reach a ball in 1D motion is affected by the distance between the ball and the object reaching it, as well as the velocity of the object. Other factors such as air resistance and acceleration can also affect the time.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the time for 2D or 3D motion?

No, the formula for time in 1D motion (t = d/v) only applies to motion in a straight line. For 2D or 3D motion, different formulas are used to calculate the time, taking into account additional variables such as angles and forces.

5. How does the time to reach a ball in 1D motion change if the velocity is doubled?

If the velocity is doubled, the time to reach the ball will be halved. This is because the formula t = d/v is inversely proportional, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases.