How Does Charge Affect Motion in Outer Space?

In summary, the problem involves a 0.25kg ball with a charge of +4/K C being shot from 5m towards a +0.5C charged ball with an initial velocity of 20 m/s in outer space. The main physics principle that should be used to solve this problem is Newton's Second Law, as it allows for the calculation of acceleration and displacement. The closest the small ball will get to the large one is not specified due to uncertainty regarding whether the large ball is free to "recoil" or is fixed in space. However, it is noted that 0.5 C is a significant amount of charge for a ball to have and may cause the ball to explode. The equation vf=v0+
halo168

Homework Statement

In outer space, a ball with mass 0.25kg and charge +4/K C is shot from 5m towards a +0.5C charged ball with an initial velocity of 20 m/s
  1. What main Physics principle should be used to solve this problem?
  2. What is the closest the small ball will get to the large one?
  3. What is the velocity and acceleration at this position?

Homework Equations

F=ma
vf=v0+2ax
F(electric) = KQq/r^2 where K = 9*10^9 Nm^2/C^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I should use Newton's Second Law because by using F = ma, I could find a, then substitute into the 1D equation for displacement to solve for how far the 0.25kg ball travels.
  2. I got a=F/m = -0.32 m/s^2 and substituted into the equation vf=v0+2ax (I made vf=0) to find x. My answer was 625 m which is not reasonable.
  3. I couldn't find the answer without a correct answer from the second question.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear whether the second ball is free to "recoil" or is somehow fixed in space.

Not sure what the units /K C means.

0.5 C is a HUGE amount of charge for a ball to have. (That's enough charge to blow the ball apart.)

Do you expect the acceleration of the 0.25 kg ball to remain constant as it approaches the other ball?

The equation vf=v0+2ax is not correct. It looks similar to an equation that is only valid for constant acceleration.

Likes halo168

Related to How Does Charge Affect Motion in Outer Space?

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a force that exists between two charged objects. It is caused by the interaction of positive and negative charges, and is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as static electricity.

2. How does an electric force affect 1D motion?

Electric forces can affect 1D motion by either attracting or repelling charged objects, causing them to accelerate in a certain direction. This acceleration can change the velocity and position of the object, leading to 1D motion.

3. What is the difference between an electric force and a gravitational force?

The main difference between an electric force and a gravitational force is that electric forces act on charged objects, while gravitational forces act on objects with mass. Additionally, electric forces can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational forces are always attractive.

4. How is the strength of an electric force calculated?

The strength of an electric force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can be represented by the equation F = k(q1q2/r^2), where k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. Can electric forces be canceled out?

Yes, electric forces can be canceled out by the presence of an equal and opposite force. For example, if two charged objects with equal but opposite charges are placed next to each other, their electric forces will cancel out and there will be no net force acting on them.