Find this integral in terms of the given integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the second integral in terms of the given value a by using the substitution u = t - b + 1 and manipulating the given integral. The conversation also mentions the importance of getting the limits of integration right and the usefulness of getting rid of constants in the denominator.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex] \displaystyle \int_0^1 \dfrac{e^t}{t+1} dt = a[/itex] then [itex]\displaystyle \int_{b-1}^b \dfrac{e^{-t}}{t-b-1} dt [/itex] is equal to

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the definite integral property in the second integral

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{b-1}^b \dfrac{e^{-2b-1-t}}{b-2-t} dt [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
They want you to solve the second integral in terms of the a they gave you.

Try making the substitution u = t - b + 1 in the second integral.

brmath said:
They want you to solve the second integral in terms of the a they gave you.

Try making the substitution u = t - b + 1 in the second integral.

Thanks. But how did it occur to you that u=t-b+1 would be a good idea?

utkarshakash said:

You need to change the limits to 0 and 1. So our aim is to find a substitution that would do this job.

utkarshakash said:

Well, I was trying to change your second integral so it would look more like the first. In general it is useful to get rid of the constants in the denominator. And as Pranav-Arora points out that formula is handy for getting the limits of integration right.

The problem now is that with the change u = t - b + 1 you don't have the right denominator. And if you set up u to get u + 1 in the denominator you don't have the right limits of integration.

So I'm not sure this trick is the right approach. I'll think about it some more.

brmath said:
Well, I was trying to change your second integral so it would look more like the first. In general it is useful to get rid of the constants in the denominator. And as Pranav-Arora points out that formula is handy for getting the limits of integration right.

The problem now is that with the change u = t - b + 1 you don't have the right denominator. And if you set up u to get u + 1 in the denominator you don't have the right limits of integration.

So I'm not sure this trick is the right approach. I'll think about it some more.

Your substitution is OK, you need to play with the given integral.

$$ \int_0^1 \dfrac{e^t}{t+1} dt = \int_0^1 \dfrac{e^{1-t}}{2-t} dt$$

Do you see now?

Pranav-Arora said:
Your substitution is OK, you need to play with the given integral.

$$ \int_0^1 \dfrac{e^t}{t+1} dt = \int_0^1 \dfrac{e^{1-t}}{2-t} dt$$

Do you see now?

Yes, after all that I made the wrong substitution in the e##^{-t}##. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Related to Find this integral in terms of the given integrals

1. What does it mean to "find an integral in terms of given integrals?"

Finding an integral in terms of given integrals means expressing a given integral in a different form using known integrals. This can be done by using integration rules and techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

2. Why is it important to find integrals in terms of given integrals?

It can be helpful to express integrals in terms of known integrals because it can simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve more complex integrals. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different integrals.

3. What are some common integration techniques used to find integrals in terms of given integrals?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques can help to transform the given integral into a form that can be solved more easily.

4. Can any integral be expressed in terms of given integrals?

No, not all integrals can be expressed in terms of given integrals. Some integrals may not have a known or simple form, and therefore cannot be expressed in terms of known integrals. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find the integral.

5. Are there any resources available to help find integrals in terms of given integrals?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks that provide examples and explanations of how to find integrals in terms of given integrals. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with different integration techniques to become more comfortable with finding integrals in terms of given integrals.