Find the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well.

In summary, the bucket with a negligible weight is used to draw water from a well that is 70 ft deep. The bucket is filled with 50 lb of water and is pulled up at a rate of 2 ft/s, but water leaks out of a hole in the bucket at a rate of 0.2 lb/s. Find the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well.
credd741
A bucket that weighs 5 lb and a rope of negligible weight are used to draw water from a well that is 70 ft deep. The bucket is filled with 50 lb of water and is pulled up at a rate of 2 ft/s, but water leaks out of a hole in the bucket at a rate of 0.2 lb/s. Find the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well.

i have no idea where to start this problem. it is unlike everyothe one i have done so far. help wuld be appreceated.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you know for the work done?

the work done is the force times the distance moved.
but I am trying to figure out am i supposed to multiply the weight of the bucket times the the distance per second. or am i supposed to do something else?

You'll need to use some properties of differential calculus. For example you can write:

[tex] \frac{dm}{dt} = \frac{dm}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

Is there any way to write the mass in terms of the distance and work?

credd741 said:
the work done is the force times the distance moved.
but I am trying to figure out am i supposed to multiply the weight of the bucket times the the distance per second. or am i supposed to do something else?

Surely, this problem wasn't just dumped on you with no explanation at all! What course is this in, Physics? Algebra? Calculus? Since you posted this under mathematics, I assume it is not a Physics class. If it is in a math class I suspect Calculus and that should tell you something! "Work equals force times distance" is only true if the force is constant over the entire distance. Here the force is the weight of the bucket and water combined and, since water is continually leaking out, that is continually decreasing. What you could do is imagine a very tiny section, [itex]\Delta x[/itex], and treat the weight as if it were constant over that tiny lift: [itex]\Delta Work= F(x)\Delta x[/itex] where F(x) is the weight at that particular height x. To get an approximate value for the total work you would have to add all of those up. Now what happens to that sum if you take [itex]\Delta x[/itex] going to 0? I suggest you review other examples in this section of your textbook.

And since this is clearly a homework problem, I am moving the thread.

Related to Find the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well.

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

The physics definition of work is the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. Does the weight of the bucket affect the work done in pulling it to the top of the well?

Yes, the weight of the bucket will affect the amount of work required to pull it to the top of the well. The greater the weight, the more force is needed to overcome gravity and move the bucket upwards.

3. How does the length of the well affect the work done?

The length of the well does not directly affect the work done. However, a longer well may require more time and effort to pull the bucket to the top, which could increase the overall work done.

4. Is the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well dependent on the speed at which it is pulled?

Yes, the work done is dependent on the speed at which the bucket is pulled. The faster the bucket is pulled, the more work is done in a shorter amount of time.

5. What factors other than force and distance can affect the work done in pulling the bucket to the top of the well?

Other factors that can affect the work done include friction, the weight of the rope or pulley system, and the incline or angle of the well. These factors can either increase or decrease the amount of work required to pull the bucket to the top.