Find the wavelength of the blue line (line spectrum)

In summary, the line spectrum of a certain substance has three prominent lines: blue (B), yellow (Y), and red (R). When examined with a diffraction grating, the sequence of lines from the center is B, Y, R, B, Y, B, R. The diffraction angles of the fifth and seventh lines are 17.46° and 20.49°, respectively, and the sixth line is halfway between them. Using the formula nλ = d sin θ, the wavelength of the sixth line (blue) is found to be 2.168 * 10-7 m. By considering only the blue line in the spectrum, it is determined to be the third order, resulting in
moenste

Homework Statement

The line spectrum of a certain substance consists of three prominent lines; blue (B), yellow (Y) and red (R). When the spectrum is examined with a diffraction grating having d = 4 * 10-6 m, it is found that the sequence of lines, moving from the centre, is B, Y, R, B, Y, B, R.

Further, it is found that the diffraction angles θ of the fifth and seventh lines are 17.46° and 20.49° respectively, and that the sixth line is at an angular position exactly halfway between them. Find the wavelength of the blue line.

Answer: 4.34 * 10-7 m

2. The attempt at a solution
We find the θ6 = (17.46 + 20.49) / 2 = 18.975°. Then plug into the formula: n λ = d sin θ to find the wavelength of the sixth line: λ6 = (4 * 10-6 * sin 18.975°) / 6 = 2.168 * 10-7 m.

I also found the wavelengths for the fifth and seventh lines: 2.4 * 10-7 m and 2 * 10-7 m respectively.

But after this I don't know what to do. I need to find the wavelength of the first blue line, while I have the wavelengths of a yellow (5), blue (6) and a red (7) one. How to use them to find blue (1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't use n=6. The fringe order is for only one color. Overall taking into account all colors, the sixth line is blue, but which order does this blue appear from the center?

Likes moenste
blue_leaf77 said:
No, you don't use n=6. The fringe order is for only one color. Overall taking into account all colors, the sixth line is blue, but which order does this blue appear from the center?
B is the first color, so it should be the first order?

moenste said:
B is the first color, so it should be the first order?
What I meant is, should you remove the other colors beside blue, what will be the order of the 6th line blue?

Likes moenste
blue_leaf77 said:
What I meant is, should you remove the other colors beside blue, what will be the order of the 6th line blue?
If you put it like that, it should be the third order.

And indeed if we plug in 3 instead of 6 we'll get 4.33 * 10-7.

Thank you!

Related to Find the wavelength of the blue line (line spectrum)

1. What is a line spectrum?

A line spectrum is a series of discrete lines of different wavelengths and colors that are emitted or absorbed by an atom when electrons transition between different energy levels.

2. Why is it important to find the wavelength of the blue line in a line spectrum?

Finding the wavelength of the blue line in a line spectrum can help identify the element that is emitting or absorbing the light. Each element has a unique line spectrum, allowing scientists to identify the presence of certain elements in a sample.

3. How do scientists determine the wavelength of the blue line in a line spectrum?

Scientists use a spectrometer, which separates the different wavelengths of light in a sample and measures their intensity. By analyzing the intensity and location of the blue line on the spectrum, the wavelength can be determined.

4. What units are used to measure the wavelength of the blue line in a line spectrum?

The wavelength of the blue line is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or angstroms (Å), which are both units of length commonly used in scientific measurements.

5. Can the wavelength of the blue line change?

The wavelength of the blue line in a line spectrum is a characteristic of a specific element, and therefore, it does not change. However, the intensity of the line may vary depending on factors such as temperature and pressure.