Calibrate Spectroscope to Find Wavelength

In summary, the student collected diffraction data from two lamps with known emission wavelengths. She used this data to calibrate her spectroscope. She then observed a third lamp and found that its emission line had a wavelength of 55mm.
allenlistar

Homework Statement

A student collects diffraction data using a lamp with known emission wavelengths of 425nm, 565nm, 600nm, and 700nm. These lines appeared on her spectroscope at 32mm, 59mm, 63mm, and 69mm(all measured from the same arbitrary 0mm position). With these data she is able to calibrate her spectroscope, and using this calibrated spectroscope she observes another lamp that has an emission line at 55mm. What is the wavelength of this emission line? (Use Excel to generate an equation of a line with a properly labeled graph)

Homework Equations

dsin(θ) = m (λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

In the equation above, I am provided with two out of four variables - I don't have the diffraction grating difference, nor do I have the angle at each wavelength.

What I thought is this: sin(theta) = x (spacing between bright fringes, i.e 32mm) / L (path length). If I substitute it into the equation above, I would get dx / L = m (λ). I still am missing two variables. Even if I had tan(θ) = x(fringe spacing) / L, and I assumed sin(θ) ~ tan(θ) as the angle is small, I'm still utterly confused. Now I attempt to address the last part of the problem in parentheses - plotting the equation - I had thought that in mλ = dsinθ, I would be able to find the slope to be some variable, but it seems I am still at a disadvantage without more information in the problem.

Any tips? I'd appreciate anything - better just tips rather than the whole solution if possible; I still want to try and arrive at the solution myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it help if you knew the order "m" of the emission line(s)?
I think you need a sketch of how the spectroscope works: how do you get from ##d\sin\theta = m\lambda## to "mm from some arbitrary 0mm position"?

Simon Bridge said:
Would it help if you knew the order "m" of the emission line(s)?
I think you need a sketch of how the spectroscope works: how do you get from ##d\sin\theta = m\lambda## to "mm from some arbitrary 0mm position"?
I think I'm supposed to assume that m is 1 and each wavelength is related to each fringe spacing provided...unsure because the text above is all the professor provided.

I'll try looking up how the spectroscope works; but I believe the mm values given are x, or the fringe spacing - measured from the central maximum - perhaps the central maximum is the "0mm?"

The text says that the 0mm position is "arbitrary" - therefore you cannot assume the position is from the central max.
Another thing to wonder about is if the spectroscope works so that the angle ##\theta## is small...

Bottom line: the data is useless unless you know how the spectroscope works ... ie. there could be a lens in it.
So you will have to check your notes to see what sort of thing is expected.

If you decide that the spectrscope data is consistent so that m is the same between reading, or that m=1 every time, then you have eliminated a variable. But the question was: does it help?

One of the ways to reduce the number of variables is to compare results between trials ... like if you look for ratios?

Related to Calibrate Spectroscope to Find Wavelength

What is a spectroscope and why is it used?

A spectroscope is a scientific instrument used to measure the wavelengths of light. It separates light into its individual components and allows scientists to analyze the chemical composition and physical properties of a light source.

How do I calibrate a spectroscope to find wavelength?

To calibrate a spectroscope, you will need to use a known light source with a known wavelength. This can be a standard light source or a specific chemical element. Adjust the spectroscope's grating or prism until you see a clear spectrum of colors. Measure the distance between each color band and use a formula to calculate the wavelength.

What is the relationship between the spectroscope's grating or prism and wavelength?

The spectroscope's grating or prism is responsible for dispersing the light into its different wavelengths. The grating or prism acts as a diffraction grating, which separates the light into its individual components. The distance between the grating or prism and the light source will also affect the wavelength measurement.

What are some common sources of error when calibrating a spectroscope?

There are several potential sources of error when calibrating a spectroscope. These may include incorrect positioning of the spectroscope, misreading the scale, using an inaccurate light source, or not properly accounting for environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. It is important to follow proper calibration procedures and double-check all measurements to minimize error.

Can a spectroscope be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light?

Yes, a spectroscope can be used to measure the wavelength of any type of light, including visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared light. However, the type of spectroscope used may vary depending on the specific wavelength range being measured. For example, a prism spectroscope is typically used for visible light, while a diffraction grating or prism spectroscope may be used for ultraviolet or infrared light.