Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the area?

In summary, for the first part, the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the area between the x-axis and the graph of the function given by f(x) = cos(x^2) with x between (pi/2)^0.5 and (3pi/2)^0.5 about the y-axis is -2pi units^3. For the second part, the volume obtained by rotating the same area about the line given by x=4 is 8.37 units^3.
renyikouniao
1.Determine the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the area between the x-axis and the graph of the function given by f(x) = cos(x^2) with x between (pi/2)^0.5 and (3pi/2)^0.5 ,about the y-axis.

2.What is the volume if the above area is rotated about the line given by x=4.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For both parts, I would recommend shells with a $dx$. What progress have you made?

1) my equation is:inte(lower bound: (pi/2)^0.5;upper bound: (3pi/2)^0.5)2pix*(cosx^2)
2) my equation is:inte(lower bound: (pi/2)^0.5;upper bound: (3pi/2)^0.5)2pi(4-x)*(cosx^2)

I got -2pi on the frist part,can volume be negative value?
And I got 8.37 on the second part.

Last edited:
renyikouniao said:
1) my equation is:inte(lower bound: (pi/2)^0.5;upper bound: (3pi/2)^0.5)2pix*(cosx^2)
2) my equation is:inte(lower bound: (pi/2)^0.5;upper bound: (3pi/2)^0.5)2pi(4-x)*(cosx^2)

I got -2pi on the frist part,can volume be negative value?
And I got 8.37 on the second part.

I agree with the integral you have set up for the first and the answer given by the integral. Did you notice that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( x^2 \right) } < 0 \end{align*}\) when \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{ \frac{\pi}{2} } < x < \sqrt{ \frac{3\pi}{2} } \end{align*}\)? It makes sense that you would then get a negatively-signed answer for your integral. But since you are asked for the volume, you would need to take the absolute value, as you have already established that there is no such thing as a "negative volume". Also don't forget to write \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{units}\,^3 \end{align*}\) after.

Thank you.But what about the second?Is it also correct?
Prove It said:
I agree with the integral you have set up for the first and the answer given by the integral. Did you notice that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( x^2 \right) } < 0 \end{align*}\) when \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{ \frac{\pi}{2} } < x < \sqrt{ \frac{3\pi}{2} } \end{align*}\)? It makes sense that you would then get a negatively-signed answer for your integral. But since you are asked for the volume, you would need to take the absolute value, as you have already established that there is no such thing as a "negative volume". Also don't forget to write \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{units}\,^3 \end{align*}\) after.

Related to Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the area?

1. What does it mean to "rotate the area" when finding the volume of a solid?

Rotating the area refers to the process of taking a two-dimensional shape, such as a rectangle or circle, and rotating it around a fixed axis to create a three-dimensional solid.

2. How do I determine the axis of rotation when finding the volume of a solid?

The axis of rotation is the line or point around which the two-dimensional shape is rotated. It is usually specified in the problem or can be determined by visualizing the rotation of the shape.

3. Can any shape be rotated to find the volume of a solid?

No, only shapes that are symmetrical around the axis of rotation can be rotated to find the volume of a solid. This includes shapes such as circles, rectangles, and triangles.

4. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a shape?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a shape is V = π∫ab(f(x))2dx, where a and b represent the limits of integration, and f(x) represents the function that defines the shape's cross-sectional area at each point along the axis of rotation.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a shape?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the method of cylindrical shells or the disk method. These methods may be more efficient for certain shapes or situations, but the formula mentioned in question 4 is the most commonly used method for finding the volume of a rotated solid.