Convincing Myself to Buckle Down and Work: A Journey

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Gale is struggling to keep up with her classes and her work. She is looking for external motivation to try and get herself to do better, but she's not having much success.
DAY 1- i did my calc and my history, didn't have any french, should have practiced my piano... didn't, but it wasn't required, and should have studied physics, didn't, but i may stay after school tomorrow with my teacher, even if not, the test is weds, so i still have another night to study. well i guess so far so good? i should have studied my physics... but too late now.

Here are some things to think about:

Playing piano is fun, isn't it? Maybe you weren't in the mood to actually practice the things you're supposed to practice, but playing fun stuff is still a form of practice, right?

Essaye-tu écrire ceci en Français? C'est bonne pratique.

On your way to school today, did you see if you could recite (in your head) that lesson in physics you were having trouble with?

It's often a great help to try and study in unusual ways, or to apply the knowledge in unusual situations. Obviously this should not be a substitute for the ordinary thing, but it's definitely helpful, and I would posit that doing this is certainly better than pure studying in the ordinary way.

I know Ambitwistor said something similar, but I think it needed emphasized some more. :smile:

Of course, this doesn't help with turning in homework. :frown: Is your problem just the homework, or are you failing lots of tests too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ya she COULD write it out in french, but only a handful of us would understand:wink:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hurkyl

It's often a great help to try and study in unusual ways, or to apply the knowledge in unusual situations. Obviously this should not be a substitute for the ordinary thing, but it's definitely helpful, and I would posit that doing this is certainly better than pure studying in the ordinary way.

I know Ambitwistor said something similar, but I think it needed emphasized some more. :smile:

Of course, this doesn't help with turning in homework. :frown: Is your problem just the homework, or are you failing lots of tests too?

Yeah, I'm really liking your unconventional thinking hurkyl. All the conventional stuff has long stopped working for me. You've great great ideas.

And my test scores are why I'm still passing. Its pretty typical of me to ace almost all my tests in every clas. Only class that's not true in is calc/ phys. Which isn't so bad. Thats just the only class that's challenging, so i hafta work a little. But so yeah, its just the homework.

Hey Hey! ITS ME!

Awww poor Gale, don't worry you arent alone in your slacking. I am in the top 2 for intelligence in my physics class (however there are only two people taking A2 physics! ) and i haven't done homework in 2 years, well not properly, I am a master blagger lol. I know that this is my last chance to get to university so i have motivated myself a little more and am doing at least 40 minutes of revision a night.

Anyway if i don't get into uni I am going to follow my dream and learn the guitar and become a rock star (this isn't a joke).

Thats an easy way out anyway i suggest that you just, i dunno, pysche yourself up every day to get into the mood of working, take time to think about what you learned in school as that will more likely put you in a working mood too. That has worked for me so far this year anyway.

yeah, I'm really liking your unconventional thinking hurkyl. All the conventional stuff has long stopped working for me. You've great great ideas.

It almost seems like I've gone through all this, doesn't it?

So how's the progress going? How many peanut butter sandwiches have you eaten?

Originally posted by photon
So how's the progress going? How many peanut butter sandwiches have you eaten?

I think she is really dedicated now. She hasn't been on physicsforums for 3 days. Either that, or she didn't know she was allergic to peanut butter and died from consuming too many sandwiches.

Last edited:
Or maybe she was playing a Zork text adventure and got freaked out. (dduardo)

hahahah, cute guys. Dduardo, do you always notice when I'm missing?? hahah, that's ok... its sweet.

Anyways, yeah, I'm actually doing very well. i have one more late assignment to pass in before I'm caught up. The last two papers i got back in history were A's. I've also been doing very well in my calc and phyics class, as that turns out, doing some work at home really does help on test... and now I've gotten into the top 5 grades in class. French was always good, but now instead of a low B I'm looking at possible A by the end of the quarter. So, as of today, there's a pretty good possiblity i'll make honors and get that cheaper insurance i wanted. Course that's just short term there, but i really think I've finally gotten my act together a bit. Started looking at options after school and all that, and finally, i feel like some better options exist. As soon as i get this school thing down... I'm going to tackle my bedroom. Maybe i can figure out how to keep that clean. If i can do that, than like, woah... i'd be like the awesomeest person alive.

I didn't even have to do the peanut butter thing yet. I'm actually just enjoying my good grades. Its kinda weird, never minded the bad ones, but the good ones... they're pretty nice.

What is Zork text adventure?

...maybe peanut butter sandwiches could be a reward now *mmmmmm, peanut butter*

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/Articles/lingo.html#zork [Broken]

Zork is the commercial (Infocom) version of the Adventure (or ADVENT) game which, written in 1976, is one of the oldest video games in existence, well-loved by computer geeks worldwide. It is a purely text-based game: it describes an environment to you, and you can type in commands to perform actions. You can play it here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

(For other ancient pre-personal computer games, check out Spacewar and Rogue/Nethack.)

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Last edited by a moderator:
ah text games were classic, however i did enjoy the point and click fun of games like Monkey Island, they were classics!

What is Zork text adventure?
I said that with dduardo's name after it because he said he got freaked out by one in another thread.

Originally posted by photon
I said that with dduardo's name after it because he said he got freaked out by one in another thread.

...how? what? why? HOW? HOW? HOW?

Huh? I don't get it!

are you talking about a text adventure? why would he get freaked out by a text adventure? it's only pre-programmed words

Those grues are scary, man.

...ok...

I'll defend dduardo this time: he said it was a graphic version of Zork.
Now , back to the subject of slacking, my favorite. :wink:

So everything is going well then?

you know... i was doing so well... and i dunno...

suddenly I'm just depressed and utterly unmotivated.

Somehow I guessed that by how this thread got suddenly quiet. I know what you mean about the not being motivated. If it helps I read a quote that went something like, "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on."
I think you've come down with what I have, that odd sort of sickness that makes you feel like running away from it all. Ever feel that way? Like everyone else in the world doesn't know this kind of a secret that says everyone else is stupid? Ever hear that little voice in the back of your head that tells you you're fooling yourself? Listen to that little voice more often and you may find yourself further ahead than expected. Keep doing the peanut butter sandwich thing because you know you just can't quit after making everybody here care.
:smile:

But it felt good when you were doing everything, right?

Yeah, it felt great. I had excellent grades and everyone was really pleased. Everyone was asking for updates every hour. And it was great. But, i dunno, everyone was so pleased that they figured i was all set, and i wasn't. Like, i got a little support from so many people that it was a ton of support. But then everyone sort of withdrew figuring that i was doing it pretty much on my own... since their support was so minimal anyways... and so when everyone did that i was left with nothing. I mean, i know i shouldn't need everyone else pushing me, but it sure made things way easier. So, I've gotten behind.. a lot. i can't motivate myself enough on my own... before i didn't want to dissapoint people, and i wanted everyone happy with me... and sure my insurance, and my grades, but i guess just people was what really got me... so, I'm going to try to remotivate myself on my own... at least a little. And then i guess if i get desperate again i can have everyone help me.

Trying to tackle this on your own sounds like a good idea. But if you need any motivation that problem is easily solved. We'll contact your other friends that live near you and get them to toilet paper your house 3 times a week until you're a straight "A" student.
Seriously, if you need anything, your PF friends are here.

But for good measure...

*push*

6 pages? Gale, unless you are in complete danger of failing, don't be overly worried about it. (you might be, I'm too lazy to go back and check). Bottom line is that you have to set a goal for yourself and work to reach that goal. You need to learn to motivate yourself, because in the real world, no one is going to motivate you or take the time to give you that much attention. At least when it comes to your own personal achievements. Learn to be self sufficient.

My cousin was much like you, and so I have experiences with these things. We tried and tried to motivate him. And he was very smart too.. but extremely lazy. He's now in jail, and disowned by the family. He was looking for the easy way out, and decided breaking the law was quicker than actual work. He thought he was too smart to get caught. he was wrong.

Ahh well.. ultimately you're going to do whatever you decide- good luck!

I stopped slacking off when i found something i liked doing. When i entered university i started studying computers, which i totally love to study. I'm also taking mathematics and physics courses as electives. I know that sounds crazy but it interests me and i study it a lot more that some crappy other course like business that would totally bore the hell out of me.

Just find something you like to do and stick with it and your slacker habits will die.

The problem is schools don't work the way human beings work. Growth and learning and the inspiration to seek is a human trait. School is a jobs creation program. In life, you are drawn naturally to those things that interest you (why would you gravitate towards something that did not interest you!?). When this happens, you go after it in a manner that naturally leads to growth. School is a place where this doesn't happen; in school you have to force it. You may find a class that most closely matches your natural inclinations, but even the classroom structure isn't based on how humans work, so you still have to *force it* at times. The thing to remember is that schools weren't invented as a result of someone thinking about growth and learning and how to enhance it or create it or whatever. There is no scientific theory of learning; never mind one that schooling rests on for its validity. School is just a way to preempt normal childhood development in order to extend childhood into the teens, twenties and thirties. Immature and bored people are the best consumers! College is a way to further separate management from the riff raff and a way to create jobs for administration types.

So you either have to force it (which can drive you mad in a number of ways; some of which go unnoticed by most but which is evidenced in the absurd, slap hand to forehead, world we live in) or quit school and go after what interests you as directly as possible (which more ppl. do than you might have heard -- including scientists!)

Prepare for indignance...