Find the shortest path between two points in polar coordinates

In summary, the student attempted to find the shortest distance between two points using polar coordinates, but was struggling with how to prove that the equation was equivalent to a straight line.
mataleo

Homework Statement

Find the shortest distance between two points using polar coordinates, ie, using them as a line element:

ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 dθ^2

Homework Equations

For an integral
I = ∫f
Euler-Lagrange Eq must hold
df/dθ - d/dr(df/dθ') = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

f = ds = √(1 + (r * θ')^2)

df/dθ = 0

df/dθ' = r^2 * θ' / √(1 + (r * θ')^2) = C

where C is a constant

Now I want to show this is a straight line so the form should be

y = m*x + b ==> r * cos(θ) = m * r * sin(theta) + b

but I'm struggling with how to prove this. I rearranged the terms and solved the integral

θ = ∫(dr / r √(r^2 - C^2))

but I get a piecewise solution so it seems like I've gone in the wrong direction or am missing something. How do I show that this is equivalent to a straight line?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that you can write the polar equation for a straight line as ##r \cos(\theta + \alpha) = C## for constants ##\alpha## and ##C##. See if this helps.

(It appears that you might be measuring ##\theta## from the y-axis. But I believe the usual convention is to measure it from the x-axis. Also, I think you are missing an overall factor of C in your integral for θ.)

Attachments

• polar line.png
    polar line.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,251
Last edited:
Yead, I dropped 'C' from the numerator in the integral and thanks for the suggestion on the polar form of the equation being equivalent to rcos(θ+α)=C, but I'm still getting an integral that doesn't seem to fit this form:

θ = √(-(C/r)^2 + 1) / C^2 for C^2/R^2 <= 1

Maybe if I just show that θ'' = 0 then we know that the path is straight.

If you can't find the integral in a table, try letting u = r/C and then letting u = sec##\phi##.

In general, θ'' ≠ 0 for a straight line.

It works if you make the substitution for the element of integration to be d(c/r). If you work out the differential with the chain rule you get d(c/r) = -(c/r^2) dr. This is the right form you need when you factor the r^2 term out of the square root of the starting form of the integrand, (1 / r sqrt(r^2 - c^2)). Integration in the new form does give you sin^-1(c/r), but I don't really like the negative sign in the relation between the differentials. It may just be that it is "absorbed" into constant c, but there is probably a better explanation regarding that issue. However, the form of the differential makes it a lot easier to deal with looking up the integral in a table and also if you choose to use a trig substitution. The integral after substitution should have the form Int(d(c/r)/sqrt(1-(c/r)^2)). Then, once you have a RHS = sin^-1(c/r) = LHS = theta + constant, taking the sine of both sides and multiplying by r, you should get c = rsin(theta + constant) matching the form of a straight line a la polar coordinates (or a la "I Love Lucy", Simpsons joke). Any thoughts on the negative sign?

Related to Find the shortest path between two points in polar coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system used to locate points in a plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction.

2. How do you find the shortest path between two points in polar coordinates?

To find the shortest path between two points in polar coordinates, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance between the two points, and then use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the two points. This angle represents the shortest path between the two points.

3. Can you use the shortest path formula in polar coordinates for any shape?

Yes, the shortest path formula in polar coordinates can be used for any shape, as long as the distance and angle between the two points can be calculated.

4. How does finding the shortest path in polar coordinates differ from finding it in Cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the shortest path is defined by a distance and an angle, while in Cartesian coordinates it is defined by the coordinates of the points. This means that the calculations and equations used to find the shortest path will differ between the two coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the shortest path in polar coordinates?

One limitation is that polar coordinates are not as commonly used as Cartesian coordinates, so it may be more difficult to find resources or tools specifically for finding the shortest path in polar coordinates. Additionally, the calculations and equations can become more complex for more complicated shapes in polar coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates.