Elastic rod problem (having some math issue)

In summary, the student is struggling with a problem that he has attempted to solve but has not been successful. He has made a mistake in his equation and has substituted the wrong variable. He has also mistakenly assumed that the power of two is always present in an equation.
kev931210
Capture.PNG

Homework Statement

I figured out the first part of the question, proving why |t| equals 1, but I have trouble solving the next part of the problem. I expressed F(r(s)) in terms of theta, but I cannot solve for a, b, and c using the equation I derived.

2. Homework Equations

Free energy minimization.
Change of variable for a 2D geometry

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attemtped to convert the given equation F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2) using polar coordinate.
In order to replace (d2r/ds2)^2, I differentiated dr/ds=(cosθ(s),sinθ(s)) respect to s.
(d2r/ds2)^2=(-dθ/ds *sinθ(s), dθ/ds*cosθ(s))^2 = (dθ/ds)^2*sin^2(θ(s))+(dθ/ds)^2*cos^2(θ(s))=(dθ/ds)^2.

Then to replace ds, ds=dθ*ds/dθ.
Eventually I turned F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2,s=0 to L) into F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds), θ=θ(0) to θ(l))
Is this correct?? Well, I thought it was a very simple and beautiful answer, but I could not solve the next problem using this equation.

I do not know how I can minimize F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds), θ=θ(0) to θ(l)) when θ is given as the polynomial equation. By plugging in the polynomial equation,
θ=b*s+c*s^2, a=0 due to initial condition θ(0)=0
dθ/ds==s+2cs

F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=F=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs)). Then I expressed 'b' in terms of c using the initial condition θ(l)=0;

This is where I am stuck... Could you please help me .. I have been struggling with it all day long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

kev931210 said:
View attachment 97130

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attemtped to convert the given equation F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2) using polar coordinate.
In order to replace (d2r/ds2)^2, I differentiated dr/ds=(cosθ(s),sinθ(s)) respect to s.
(d2r/ds2)^2=(-dθ/ds *sinθ(s), dθ/ds*cosθ(s))^2 = (dθ/ds)^2*sin^2(θ(s))+(dθ/ds)^2*cos^2(θ(s))=(dθ/ds)^2.
OK

Then to replace ds, ds=dθ*ds/dθ.
Eventually I turned F(r(s))= ∫(ds 1/2*k(d2r/ds2)^2,s=0 to L) into F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds), θ=θ(0) to θ(l))
Did you overlook that ##\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{s}}## is squared in the expression for F?
By plugging in the polynomial equation,
θ=b*s+c*s^2, a=0 due to initial condition θ(0)=0
dθ/ds==s+2cs
This is not the correct expression for dθ/ds. Typo?

F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=F=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs)). Then I expressed 'b' in terms of c using the initial condition θ(l)=0;

Overall, your approach looks correct. What do you get for F after making the corrections mentioned above?

[Another approach that gets to the answer faster would be to use the Euler-Lagrange equation from calculus of variations. But it is not necessary for this problem.]

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

OKDid you overlook that ##\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{s}}## is squared in the expression for F?
I did not overlook. I differentiated t (which equals dr/ds) with respect to s, and I squared that expression.[This is not the correct expression for dθ/ds. Typo?]

That's a typo, but I plugged in the correct expression to F.
[Overall, your approach looks correct. What do you get for F after making the corrections mentioned above?][/QUOTE]

I still get this same equation, F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=F=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs)), where θ(s)=a+bs+cs^2. I don't know how I can move further from this point..

Note the power of 2 shown below.

Attachments

• F expresssion.png
    F expresssion.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 360
TSny said:
Note the power of 2 shown below.

(d2r/ds2)^2=(-dθ/ds *sinθ(s), dθ/ds*cosθ(s))^2 = (dθ/ds)^2*sin^2(θ(s))+(dθ/ds)^2*cos^2(θ(s))=(dθ/ds)^2

Yes, from the above equatoin, I concluded (d2r/ds2)^2=(dθ/ds)^2 .
But I also replaced ds with dθ*ds/dθ.

ds (d2r/ds2)^2 --> dθ*ds/dθ * (dθ/ds)^2 --> dθ*dθ/ds.

This is how I arrived at F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds).

By differentiating θ(s)=a+bs+cs^2 with respect to s, dθ/s=b+2cs,

F=∫(dθ 1/2*k(dθ/ds)=∫(dθ 1/2*k*(b+2cs))

##s## is the independent variable and ##\theta## is the dependent variable. So, the integration should be with respect to ##s##, not ##\theta##

[Sorry I overlooked your change of variable in the integration. But you need to keep ##s## as the integration variable.]

Last edited:
Likes kev931210
TSny said:
##s## is the independent variable and ##\theta## is the dependent variable. So, the integration should be with respect to ##s##, not ##\theta##

[Sorry I overlooked your change of variable in the integration. But you need to keep ##s## as the integration variable.]
wow... Thank you so much! I feel so stupid haha. I eventually found 'a' and 'c' to be 0, so θ(s)=b*s for the minimum energy configuration, under the constraint that θ(s) is a quadratic equation of s. Do you think this is a reasonable answer? It appears to be a circle to me.

kev931210 said:
wow... Thank you so much! I feel so stupid haha. I eventually found 'a' and 'c' to be 0, so θ(s)=b*s for the minimum energy configuration, under the constraint that θ(s) is a quadratic equation of s. Do you think this is a reasonable answer? It appears to be a circle to me.
Yes, I believe a circular arc is right. At least that's what I got when I worked it. The answer seems reasonable to me. I think the circular arc is the general answer (for these boundary conditions) even if you don't assume a quadratic dependence of ##\theta## on ##s##.

Last edited:
Likes kev931210

Related to Elastic rod problem (having some math issue)

What is the elastic rod problem?

The elastic rod problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shape of a rod when it is bent under the influence of external forces.

What are the main assumptions made in the elastic rod problem?

The main assumptions made in the elastic rod problem are that the rod is made of a uniform material with constant cross-sectional area, and that the deformation of the rod is small.

How is the elastic rod problem solved?

The elastic rod problem is typically solved using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of beams under bending loads.

What is the significance of the elastic rod problem?

The elastic rod problem has practical applications in engineering and physics, as it helps in understanding the behavior of structures under bending loads and in designing more efficient and stable structures.

What are the limitations of the elastic rod problem?

The elastic rod problem is a simplified model that does not take into account factors such as material nonlinearity, large deformations, and shear deformation. Therefore, the results obtained from the elastic rod problem may not accurately reflect the behavior of real-world structures.