Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the double integral can be written as:I=\int_0^a y\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy=-\frac{1}{2}\int_0^a \sqrt{a^2-y^2}(-2y)\,dy
harpazo
Evaluate the iterated integral by converting to polar coordinates.

Let S S = double integral symbol

S S y dx dy

The outer integral is from 0 to a.

The inner integral is from 0 to sqrt{a^2 - y^2}.

I started by letting y = r sin ϴ

S S r sinϴ dxdy.

I then let dxdy = r dr d ϴ

S S r sin ϴ rdr dϴ

S S r^2 sin ϴ dr dϴ

Is this correct so far?

If not, can someone set it up for me?

The answer is (a^3)/3.

What correct set up leads to the answer given here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What we have is:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\)

Evaluating the inner integral, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\sqrt{a^2-y^2}\,dy=-\frac{1}{2}\int_0^a \sqrt{a^2-y^2}(-2y)\,dy\)

Continue with the integration (no substitution needed) to get the result you posted. :)

MarkFL said:
What we have is:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy\)

Evaluating the inner integral, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\sqrt{a^2-y^2}\,dy=-\frac{1}{2}\int_0^a \sqrt{a^2-y^2}(-2y)\,dy\)

Continue with the integration (no substitution needed) to get the result you posted. :)

I can integrate this double integral without using polar coordinates but how is it done using polar coordinates?

Harpazo said:
I can integrate this double integral without using polar coordinates but how is it done using polar coordinates?

Okay, our first step is to transform the iterated integral into a double integral:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy=\iint\limits_{R}y\,dA\)

where $R$ is a sector of a circle with radius $a$. In polar coordinates, $R$ is the region between $r=0$ and $r=a$ for \(\displaystyle \theta\in\left[0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right]\).

Since $y=r\sin(\theta)$, the double integral thus becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta) \int_0^{a} r^2\,dr\,d\theta\)

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
Okay, our first step is to transform the iterated integral into a double integral:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^a y\int_0^{\sqrt{a^2-y^2}}\,dx\,dy=\iint\limits_{R}y\,dA\)

where $R$ is a sector of a circle with radius $a$. In polar coordinates, $R$ is the region between $r=0$ and $r=a$ for \(\displaystyle \theta\in\left[0,\frac{\pi}{2}\right]\).

Since $y=r\sin(\theta)$, the double integral thus becomes:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin(\theta) \int_0^{a} r^2\,dr\,d\theta\)

Can you proceed?

Yes, I can. Thanks.

Notice that \(\displaystyle x= \sqrt{4^2- y^2}\) is the right semi-circle of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+ y^2= 4\), the circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 2. Restricting y to lie between 0 and a means that we have the upper right quadrant of that circle. In polar coordinates, r will go from 0 to a while [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to [tex]\pi/2[/tex]. Since, as you say, in polar coordinates [tex]y= r sin(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]dxdy= r dr d\theta[/tex], the integral becomes
\(\displaystyle \int_0^a \int_0^{\pi/2} r^2 sin(\theta)d\theta dr= \left(\int_0^a r^2 dr\right)\left(\int_0^{\pi/2} sin(\theta)d\theta\)

HallsofIvy said:
Notice that \(\displaystyle x= \sqrt{4^2- y^2}\) is the right semi-circle of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+ y^2= 4\), the circle with center at (0, 0) and radius 2. Restricting y to lie between 0 and a means that we have the upper right quadrant of that circle. In polar coordinates, r will go from 0 to a while [tex]\theta[/tex] goes from 0 to [tex]\pi/2[/tex]. Since, as you say, in polar coordinates [tex]y= r sin(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]dxdy= r dr d\theta[/tex], the integral becomes
\(\displaystyle \int_0^a \int_0^{\pi/2} r^2 sin(\theta)d\theta dr= \left(\int_0^a r^2 dr\right)\left(\int_0^{\pi/2} sin(\theta)d\theta\)

Your LaTex does not display clearly. LaTex hides behind your words.

Related to Double Integrals in Polar Coordinates

What are double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates are a mathematical concept used to evaluate the volume of a two-dimensional curved region. It involves integrating a function over a specific region in the polar coordinate system, which uses angles and distances from the origin to describe points.

How do you convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates, you must first determine the limits of integration in polar coordinates. This can be done by drawing the region and identifying the boundaries in terms of angles and distances. Then, you must substitute the limits of integration into the integrand and change the order of integration to match the polar coordinate system.

What is the difference between polar and rectangular coordinates?

Polar coordinates use angles and distances from the origin to describe a point, while rectangular coordinates use x and y coordinates. Polar coordinates are often used to describe circular or curved regions, while rectangular coordinates are used for more general shapes. Additionally, polar coordinates have a different coordinate system and equations for calculating distance and slope.

What are the applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to calculate volumes of curved objects, such as cones or spheres, and to solve problems involving motion along a curved path. They can also be used to find the center of mass and moments of inertia for irregularly shaped objects.

What are some common mistakes when using double integrals in polar coordinates?

Some common mistakes when using double integrals in polar coordinates include not properly converting the limits of integration, using the wrong integrand for the given region, and forgetting to include the Jacobian in the integration process. It is also important to carefully sketch the region and double check the calculations to avoid any errors.