Find the probability of energy value after a given measurment

In summary, the person is having trouble conceptualizing the problem and believes the answer is 0. They explain their reasoning using equations and mention that the two states are orthogonal to each other. Another person confirms that the assumption is correct.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

I am having a issue conceptualising the problem as I believe the answer is 0.

imageedit_6_7749133169.png

Part c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 0 and it for the following reason. A the being say time t=0 the system is in some arbitary state, then when I got to measure the particle at t=t1 the wave function collapse into the ##e^{\frac{-iE_at_1}{\hbar}}|a \rangle## so then as it in this state when I go to measure the particle again the probability of it being ##E_b## is will be 0 as the two states are orthogonal to each other, have I assume the correctly?

Attachments

• imageedit_6_7749133169.png
    imageedit_6_7749133169.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 886
Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

My answer is 0 and it for the following reason. A the being say time t=0 the system is in some arbitary state, then when I got to measure the particle at t=t1 the wave function collapse into the ##e^{\frac{-iE_at_1}{\hbar}}|a \rangle## so then as it in this state when I go to measure the particle again the probability of it being ##E_b## is will be 0 as the two states are orthogonal to each other, have I assume the correctly?
Yes, that's right.

Related to Find the probability of energy value after a given measurment

1. What is the probability of obtaining a specific energy value after a measurement?

The probability of obtaining a specific energy value after a measurement depends on the system being observed and the precision of the measurement apparatus. It can range from a near certainty (probability of 1) to a very low probability (close to 0).

2. How is the probability of energy value calculated after a measurement?

The probability of energy value is calculated using the wave function of the system, which describes the probability distribution of possible energy values. The probability of obtaining a specific energy value is equal to the square of the amplitude of the wave function at that energy value.

3. Can the probability of energy value change after a measurement is made?

Yes, the probability of energy value can change after a measurement is made. This is due to the principle of wave function collapse, where the act of measurement causes the wave function to "collapse" into a specific state, altering the probabilities of other energy values.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect the probability of energy value after a measurement?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the energy value is measured, the less certain the measurement of its associated position will be, and vice versa. This means that the probability of energy value after a measurement may change depending on the precision of the measurement.

5. What factors can affect the probability of energy value after a measurement?

Some factors that can affect the probability of energy value after a measurement include the precision of the measurement apparatus, the nature of the system being observed, and external influences such as noise or interactions with other particles.