Expectation of energy for a wave function

Do you not even have ##\psi_0##? If you start deriving them, you should soon see when you have all you need. Hint: each function has an increasing polynomial in ##x## times the common exponential function. I assume the term "Hermite" polynomial is not familiar to you...In summary, the question asks for the possible values and probabilities of measuring the energy of a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential, and the expectation value of the energy. To answer this, the wave function is given and the constant A is determined. To find the probabilities for each energy value, the coefficients of each smaller wave function must be squared and summed over all n. To decompose the wave function into smaller wave
thomas19981

Homework Statement

At ##t = 0##, a particle of mass m in the harmonic oscillator potential, ##V(x) = \frac1 2 mw^2x^2## has the wave function:$$\psi(x,0)=A(1-2\sqrt\frac{mw} {\hbar} x)^2e^{\frac{-mw}{2\hbar}x^2}$$

where A is a constant

If we make a measurement of the energy, what possible values might we obtain and what is the probability of obtaining each of these values. Hence determine the expectation value of the energy.

Homework Equations

##E_n=(n+\frac12)\hbar w##

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly the first part of the question asked me to determine ##A=\frac15(\frac{mw}{\hbar \pi})^\frac14##.

So I know to determine the the probability of measuring an energy ##E_n## I need to determine the the coefficient ##c_n## of each smaller wave function then square it. I also know that that ##E_n=(n+\frac12)\hbar w## and to find the expectation of the energy I would just sum over all n ##E_nc_n^2##The only problem is that I don't know how to decompose the wave function given down so that I get ##\psi(x,0)=c_1\psi_1(x)+c_2\psi_2(x)+ c_3\psi_3(x)+...## . Once I know how to do this the rest will be easy.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas19981 said:

Homework Statement

At ##t = 0##, a particle of mass m in the harmonic oscillator potential, ##V(x) = \frac1 2 mw^2x^2## has the wave function:$$\psi(x,0)=A(1-2\sqrt\frac{mw} {\hbar} x)^2e^{\frac{-mw}{2\hbar}x^2}$$

where A is a constant

If we make a measurement of the energy, what possible values might we obtain and what is the probability of obtaining each of these values. Hence determine the expectation value of the energy.

Homework Equations

Firstly the first part of the question asked me to determine ##A=\frac15(\frac{mw}{\hbar \pi})^\frac14##.

So I know to determine the the probability of measuring an energy ##E_n## I need to determine the the coefficient ##c_n## of each smaller wave function then square it. I also know that that ##E_n=(n+\frac12)\hbar w## and to find the expectation of the energy I would just sum over all n ##E_nc_n^2##The only problem is that I don't know how to decompose the wave function given down so that I get ##\psi(x,0)=c_1\psi_1(x)+c_2\psi_2(x)+ c_3\psi_3(x)+...## . Once I know how to do this the rest will be easy.

Thank you in advance

You need to expand ##\psi(x)## into something resembling a Fourier series, except that you must expand in terms of the eigenfunctions of the Harmonic Oscillator's hamiltonian rather than sines/cosines. Are you familiar with "orthogonal expansions" other than Fourier series? If not, Google is your friend.

thomas19981 said:

Homework Statement

where A is a constant

Homework Equations

Thank you in advance

Do you know the eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator?

PeroK said:
Do you know the eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator?
Are the eigenstates the ##\psi_n##? If it is then we have been given them in the lecture notes as ##A_n(a_+)^n\psi_0(x)## where ##\psi_0=(\frac{mw}{\pi\hbar})^{0.25}e^{-\frac{mw}{2 \hbar}x^2}## and ##a_+## is one of the ladder operators.

thomas19981 said:
Are the eigenstates the ##\psi_n##? If it is then we have been given them in the lecture notes as ##A_n(a_+)^n\psi_0(x)## where ##\psi_0=(\frac{mw}{\pi\hbar})^{0.25}e^{-\frac{mw}{2 \hbar}x^2}## and ##a_+## is one of the ladder operators.

Yes, that's them. Can you see which eigenstates you'll need for your wavefunction?

PeroK said:
Yes, that's them. Can you see which eigenstates you'll need for your wavefunction?
No but to determine them would I find ##\psi_0##, ##\psi_1##, ##\psi_2##... then sum them till I find something resembling the wavefunction given in the question?

thomas19981 said:
No but to determine them would I find ##\psi_0##, ##\psi_1##, ##\psi_2##... then sum them till I find something resembling the wavefunction given in the question?

Yes, you'll need to find the eigenstates. But, I would expect you to have reference to them for this question. I wouldn't expect that you have to derive them for this question. I may be wrong, but don't you have a list of them somewhere?

PeroK said:
Yes, you'll need to find the eigenstates. But, I would expect you to have reference to them for this question. I wouldn't expect that you have to derive them for this question. I may be wrong, but don't you have a list of them somewhere?
I don't think so but how would I know at what n to stop cause in theory I would just keep applying ##a_+## and get infinitely many wave functions?

thomas19981 said:
I don't think so but how would I know at what n to stop cause in theory I would just keep applying ##a_+## and get infinitely many wave functions?

Do you not even have ##\psi_0##? If you start deriving them, you should soon see when you have all you need. Hint: each function has an increasing polynomial in ##x## times the common exponential function. I assume the term "Hermite" polynomial is not familiar to you?

thomas19981 said:
Looks good.

The only problem is that I don't know how to decompose the wave function given down so that I get ##\psi(x,0)=c_1\psi_1(x)+c_2\psi_2(x)+ c_3\psi_3(x)+...## . Once I know how to do this the rest will be easy.

Hello.
Try to express ##(1-2\sqrt\frac{mw} {\hbar} x)^2## as a linear combination of Hermite polynomials ##H_n\left(\frac{m \omega}{\hbar}x \right)##. You should be able to do this "by inspection" if you have a list of the first few Hermite polynomials.

EDIT: Oh, I see I'm late in posting. It appears that you might not be familiar with the individual energy eigenfunctions expressed in terms of Hermite polynomials. If this is the case, I'm not sure what aspects of the harmonic oscillator energy eigenfunctions that you are familiar with.

Last edited:
thomas19981 said:

Yes, that might (or might not) happen. You really do need to know (or find, or look up) the eigenfunctions ##\psi_n##; if your textbook does not list them, go to the library and look in another book. Alternatively, look on-line.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, that might happen. You really do need to know (or find, or look up) the eigenfunctions ##\psi_n##; if your textbook does not list them, go to the library and look in another book. Alternatively, look on-line.
Ok I think I get it. I would need to expand up to ##\psi_2## to get a term involving ##x^2## then I would normalise each of ##\psi_0##, ##\psi_1##, ##\psi_2## to get the value of ##A_0,A_1,A_2## respectively then compare the sum of these to the given wave function in the question to determine the numerical coefficients which would in turn give me the probability for each eigenstate. Is this idea correct?

thomas19981 said:
Ok I think I get it. I would need to expand up to ##\psi_2## to get a term involving ##x^2## then I would normalise each of ##\psi_0##, ##\psi_1##, ##\psi_2## to get the value of ##A_0,A_1,A_2## respectively then compare the sum of these to the given wave function in the question to determine the numerical coefficients which would in turn give me the probability for each eigenstate. Is this idea correct?

Yes, essentially. Once you have the eigenfunctions it's just a bit of linear algebra.

PeroK said:
Yes, essentially. Once you have the eigenfunctions it's just a bit of linear algebra.
Ok thank you all !

Related to Expectation of energy for a wave function

1. What is the expectation of energy for a wave function?

The expectation of energy for a wave function is the average energy value that would be obtained if multiple measurements were taken on the wave function. It is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior and properties of particles.

2. How is the expectation of energy calculated for a wave function?

The expectation of energy for a wave function is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the energy operator. This calculation takes into account all possible energy values that the wave function can have and their corresponding probabilities.

3. What is the significance of the expectation of energy for a wave function?

The expectation of energy for a wave function allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It provides information about the average energy of a particle and how it may change over time.

4. Can the expectation of energy for a wave function be negative?

Yes, the expectation of energy for a wave function can be negative. This means that the average energy of the particle is below the potential energy for the given system. It is important to note that this does not mean the particle will have negative energy, as energy is always conserved.

5. How does the expectation of energy relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation of energy and the uncertainty principle are related in that they both involve the concept of probability. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Similarly, the expectation of energy takes into account all possible energy values and their corresponding probabilities, rather than a single precise value.