Position and Momentum probability for +x direction

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Schrodinger equation for a region where the potential is 0, leading to a wave function of psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(pi x/L). The probability of movement in the +x direction is 1/2 and the expectation value of momentum is 0. The options given for the correct value of momentum are unclear and may need further clarification. There is also a discussion about the symmetry of the system and how the direction of motion can be determined by the sign of momentum.
tanaygupta2000
Homework Statement
A quantum particle is confined in a one-dimentional box defined by the potential,
V{x) = 0 for 0 < x < L, and infinity otherwise. The particle is in the ground state. What is the
probability (P+) that an experimenter will find it moving along the positive-x direction?
What would be the magnitude of momentum (p) of that motion?
(a) P+ = 0 and p = 0
(b) P+ = 1/2 and p=n/L
(c) P+=1/2Landp=n/L
(d) P+ = 1/2 and p = 0
(e) P+ = 0 and p = 1t / L
Relevant Equations
wave function, psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(pi x/L)
Energy,E = pi^2 hbar^2/2mL^2
For the region where V = 0, solving the schrodinger equation leads to the above value of wave function, psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(pi x/L)
Since in the qus. it is not stated about the 'direction of movement' only restricted to +x direction, I think that the probability will be 1/2.
And finding the expectation value of momentum for this wave function, i am getting something like -i hbar/2L, which is nearly equal to 0.
So, I think that the correct option will be option-(d).
Am I right? Help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
tanaygupta2000 said:
For the region where V = 0, solving the schrodinger equation leads to the above value of wave function, psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(pi x/L)
Good

Since in the qus. it is not stated about the 'direction of movement' only restricted to +x direction, I think that the probability will be 1/2.
Ok. To see this concretely, express ##\sin (\pi x/L)## in terms of ##e^{i \pi x/L}## and ##e^{-i \pi x/L}##.

And finding the expectation value of momentum for this wave function, i am getting something like -i hbar/2L, which is nearly equal to 0.
You should get exactly zero for the expectation value of ##p##.

The expectation value of ##p## does not represent the result of a measurement of ##p##. The only possible results of a measurement of ##p## are the eigenvalues of the momentum operator ##\hat p##.

They want you to find the value of ##p## that you would get if you measure ##p## and find that the measured value corresponds to movement in the +x direction. Expressing the wavefunction in terms of the complex exponentials will be helpful.

• Informative
Likes tanaygupta2000
By this approach, I am getting probability from 0 to L is exactly '1' (obvious since V = infinity otherwise). However, the expectation value of momentum is correctly coming '0'. There is no option in the question for Probability = 1.
Thanks !

The choices that you are given leave room for interpretation. First, quantity "n" in options (b) and (c) is not specified in the problem. Of course we are told that the particle is in the ground state, so we may justifiably assume that n = 1. Option (e) has the confusing p = 1t / L. Presumably the 1 is from n = 1. What is t? Is it the time independent variable?

I think this problem can be answered without math. Note that ##\langle p \rangle =0## and invoke a symmetry argument.

kuruman said:
quantity "n" in options (b) and (c) is not specified in the problem
I have attached the image for clarity

tanaygupta2000 said:
By this approach, I am getting probability from 0 to L is exactly '1' (obvious since V = infinity otherwise).
The probability that a measurement of position, ##x##, will yield a value in the range ##0 \leq x \leq 1## is exactly 1. But the question isn't asking for this.

I think the question is asking about a measurement that determines which direction the particle is traveling. For this one-dimensional system, the direction of motion is determined by the sign of the momentum. So, they want the probability that a measurement of momentum will have a positive value for the momentum.

Likes tanaygupta2000
By looking at the options, probability can either be 0 or 1/2. And since the value of momentum is coming to be precisely zero, can we assume that equal probability of measurement goes above 0 as the same as below 0 (i.e., 1/2 on both sides)?
This argument leads the probability to be 1/2 towards +x direction.

kuruman said:
Option (e) has the confusing p = 1t / L.
Judging from the other options, I suggest 1t is a misreading of (a handwritten?) n.

Likes tanaygupta2000
I apologise for it. Have attached an image of the question for clarity. Thanks !

Suppose you and I look at this particle bouncing back and forth. We are facing each other and the box is between us. What's "to the left" (negative) for you is "the right" (positive) for me. Do you see the symmetry?
haruspex said:
Judging from the other options, I suggest 1t is a misreading of (a handwritten?) n.
I think that's a good suggestion.

Likes tanaygupta2000
tanaygupta2000 said:
I apologise for it. Have attached an image of the question for clarity. Thanks !
I see. n is actually ##\pi##. Thanks for the clarification.

Likes haruspex
kuruman said:
Suppose you and I look at this particle bouncing back and forth. We are facing each other and the box is between us. What's "to the left" (negative) for you is "the right" (positive) for me. Do you see the symmetry?

I think that's a good suggestion.
Yes I can clearly see it. But I am still confused how can the particle enter the region -x, since V = infinite there.

tanaygupta2000 said:
Yes I can clearly see it. But I am still confused how can the particle enter the region -x, since V = infinite there.
I think probability = 1/2 only comes as an assumption by observing the value of momentum (0).

tanaygupta2000 said:
I think probability = 1/2 only comes as an assumption by observing the value of momentum (0).
The probability is 1/2 from a simple symmetry argument. The expected value is also zero by the same argument.
But then you want the (expected?) value of p given that it is positive. Or equivalently, the value of |p|. This will not be zero.

Likes tanaygupta2000
Thank You so much for the help !

Related to Position and Momentum probability for +x direction

1. What is the relationship between position and momentum probability for +x direction?

The position and momentum probability for +x direction are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. How is the position probability for +x direction calculated?

The position probability for +x direction can be calculated using the wave function of the particle, which is a mathematical representation of its position and momentum. The square of the wave function gives the probability density of finding the particle at a particular position.

3. What does the momentum probability for +x direction tell us?

The momentum probability for +x direction tells us the likelihood of finding the particle with a specific momentum in the +x direction. It is calculated by taking the Fourier transform of the wave function.

4. How does the position and momentum probability change over time?

The position and momentum probability for +x direction can change over time due to the wave-like nature of particles. As the particle moves, the wave function evolves, and the probabilities of finding the particle at different positions and with different momenta also change.

5. Can the position and momentum probability for +x direction be measured simultaneously?

No, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the position and momentum of a particle cannot be measured simultaneously with absolute precision. The act of measuring one quantity will inevitably affect the other, making it impossible to know both values simultaneously.