Find the next element in the list

In summary, the problem is that the person trying to figure out the sequence of words that corresponds to the pictures did not find a unifying pattern, although symmetry may be an important factor.
Johnx014
The problem https://i.gyazo.com/66f03e2caa6ee751adc02e3535287e74.png

Find the next element in the list

List 1: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32
List 2: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25
List 3: 1, 4, 7, 10
List 4: J, F, M, A, M, J
List 5: Symbols, see photo

My approaches

List 1: This one seemed obvious. Any given element is the previous element times 2

List 2: Another easy one. It's a list of perfect squares

List 3: I think this one is simple. The next element is the previous element plus 3

List 4: This is where I started to have problems. I thought maybe each letter corresponded with it's place in the alphabet, but this doesn't result in any pattern that I'm able to decipher.
J=10
A= 1
F= 6
M=13
10, 6, 13, 1, 13, 10

List 5: This was the other list that gave me trouble. It seems that the line at the bottom of the first two symbols moves upward. Other than that, I don't see a unifying pattern.

List 6: Forgot to list this one when I first posted.
O, T, T, F, F, S, S, E

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For #4, January, February, March, April, May, June, ?

The one just before, which you did not mention, is the same idea: OTTFFSSEN. (123456789)

I would have preferred Halls had not provided the answers straight off. It would have been a gentler hint just to say that each is the initial letters of a standard sequence of words.
For the pictorial one, do you notice a property that all of the pictures share? What happens if you 'undo' that property?

Likes SammyS and DEvens
haruspex said:
I would have preferred Halls had not provided the answers straight off. It would have been a gentler hint just to say that each is the initial letters of a standard sequence of words.
For the pictorial one, do you notice a property that all of the pictures share? What happens if you 'undo' that property?

Now I see that all of the pictures are symmetrical. Is it that each figure takes half of the previous figure and realigns it into a new image?

Johnx014 said:
Now I see that all of the pictures are symmetrical. Is it that each figure takes half of the previous figure and realigns it into a new image?
Symmetry is the key, but not in the way you suggest. Since they all exhibit the same symmetry, that symmetry might not be interesting in finding the sequence. How might you 'undo' the symmetry?

haruspex said:
Symmetry is the key, but not in the way you suggest. Since they all exhibit the same symmetry, that symmetry might not be interesting in finding the sequence. How might you 'undo' the symmetry?

Adding to the figure could make it asymmetrical. As would tilting it to move the line of symmetry.

Johnx014 said:
Adding to the figure could make it asymmetrical. As would tilting it to move the line of symmetry.
Not either of those. I carefully said 'undo' rather than 'destroy'. Given some plane figure, how might you give it the bilateral symmetry in these figures without losing any information? (A certain common piece of equipment would do it.)

Heh, somebody here does not watch the Simpsons regularly. Lisa Simpson took an entire episode to get the next in List 5.

Also, it appeared in one of the later seasons of Stargate.

Heh. As long as we are doing brain teasers: Can you think of a sequence of proper English words that would take one minute to speak normally, in which the proper spelling does not include the letter "A"?

DEvens said:
Heh. As long as we are doing brain teasers: Can you think of a sequence of proper English words that would take one minute to speak normally, in which the proper spelling does not include the letter "A"?
Interesting, I'd never noticed that. It seems so unlikely, much less than one in a hundred.

haruspex said:
Interesting, I'd never noticed that. It seems so unlikely, much less than one in a hundred.

Let me count from one to one hundred: one two three four ... one hundred.

If you speak this in a normal way it will take about one minute. And guess what isn't in there.

DEvens said:
Let me count from one to one hundred: one two three four ... one hundred.

If you speak this in a normal way it will take about one minute. And guess what isn't in there.
Yes, I understood. I was trying to indicate that without giving away the answer.

Related to Find the next element in the list

1. What is the purpose of finding the next element in a list?

The purpose of finding the next element in a list is to continue the sequence or pattern of the list and to determine the next value in the series.

2. How do you determine the next element in a list?

The next element in a list can be determined by analyzing the pattern or sequence of the list and using mathematical operations or algorithms to generate the next value.

3. What is the difference between finding the next element in a list and finding the missing element in a list?

Finding the next element in a list involves continuing the sequence or pattern of the list, while finding the missing element involves identifying a value that is not present in the list.

4. Can finding the next element in a list be automated?

Yes, finding the next element in a list can be automated by creating a program or algorithm that can generate the next value in the sequence or pattern.

5. What are some common methods for finding the next element in a list?

Some common methods for finding the next element in a list include using the previous values in the list to determine a pattern, using mathematical operations or algorithms, and using computer programming techniques such as loops and conditional statements.