Finding Eigenvalues: List of possible solutions for Lambda

In summary: If we try to find it, we can divide the polynomial by any number that is not a root and still get a rational number as a result.
zak100

Homework Statement

I got a solution for finding eigen values. It evaluates to:

(Lambda)^3 -12(lambda) -16=0, Then it that the list of possible integer solutions is:

+-1, +-2, +-4, _-8, +-16 (i.e. plus minus 1, plus minus 2 and so on).

I can't understand, why he says list of possible solution is this, when only lambda = 4 satisfies the eq..Zulfi.

Homework Equations

(Lambda)^3 -12(lambda) -16=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Only lamda =4 satisfies the eq while other values do not.
The solution provided by website isttached/.

Zulfi

Attachments

• SolutionEigen.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 896
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\lambda_0## is a solution to ##\lambda^3-12\lambda-16=0## then ##(\lambda-\lambda_0)## is a divisor of it. This means especially that ##\lambda_0 ## divides ##16##. If there are integer solutions, those numbers are simply the list of possible divisors of ##16##, which can be tested, in order to reduce the degree of the equation. How did you find that ##\lambda_0=4## is a solution?

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
4^3 -12*4 -16 =0
64-48 -16 =0

It evaluates to zero.

Other values do not.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

I got a solution for finding eigen values. It evaluates to:

(Lambda)^3 -12(lambda) -16=0, Then it that the list of possible integer solutions is:

I can't understand, why he says list of possible solution is this, when only lambda = 4 satisfies the eq..Zulfi.

Homework Equations

Zulfi

He is claiming that at least one root is to be found in the set {-1, 1, -2, 2, -4, 4, -8, 8, -16, 16}. That means that you can find a root by checking at most 10 values of ##\lambda.## Some of the values in the set are not roots of the equation, but at least one of them is a root, or so he says.

He got the set by looking for rational roots of the equation, using the so-called Rational Root Theorem; see, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_root_theorem
or https://trans4mind.com/personal_development/mathematics/polynomials/rationalRootTheorem.htm

Note: this method finds rational roots if they exist. Therefore, if none of the numbers in the list are actually roots, it follows that the polynomial has only irrational roots.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

I got a solution for finding eigen values. It evaluates to

I can't understand, why he says list of possible solution is this, when only lambda = 4 satisfies the eq..

Zulfi.

Homework Equations

Zulfi
One other number satisfies this. It is in your list.

Hi,
Ray Vickson, thanks for providing the link. God bless you.

I would try.

Zulfi.

Hi,
Using p/q I am able to find possible solutions for λ
λ^3 -12λ -16 = 0

P|16 = 1, 2, 4, 8, 16

Q|1 = 1

Now P/q = +-1.2^4/1 or +- 4 * 4/1 or +- 1.2.8/1 or +- 1.16/1

So possible solutions for λ = +-1, +-2, +-4, +-8 and +-16 but only λ=4 satisfies the eq.Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Using p/q I am able to find possible solutions for λ
λ^3 -12λ -16 = 0

P|16 = 1, 2, 4, 8, 16

Q|1 = 1

Now P/q = +-1.2^4/1 or +- 4 * 4/1 or +- 1.2.8/1 or +- 1.16/1

So possible solutions for λ = +-1, +-2, +-4, +-8 and +-16 but only λ=4 satisfies the eq.Zulfi.
Nope.

Hi,
Can you please tell me what's wrong with this? I have followed the tutorial.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Can you please tell me what's wrong with this? I have followed the tutorial.

Zulfi.
No, you haven't.
SammyS said:
One other number satisfies this. It is in your list.
... is still true. You could either try to find it by trying or you calculate ##f(\lambda):=(\lambda^3-12\lambda -16):(\lambda -4)## and solve the quadratic equation ##f(\lambda)=0##.

Hi,
I got it. Its -2. instead of lambda I am using x.

X^3 -12x -16 =0

X =1: 1 -12 -16 = 0 (false)

X=-1: -1 -12 -16 =0 (false)

X = 2: 8-16-16=0 (false)

X= -2: -8 -+24 -16 =0 (true)

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I got it. Its -2. instead of lambda I am using x.

X^3 -12x -16 =0

X =1: 1 -12 -16 = 0 (false)

X=-1: -1 -12 -16 =0 (false)

X = 2: 8-16-16=0 (false)

Zulfi.
Now you have two zeroes, but three are possible. What can you say about the third?

Hi,
I can't see the 3rd one.

X = 4: 64 -48 -16 =0(true)

X= -4: -64 +48 -16 =0 (false)

X=8: Not possible

X=-8: Not possible

X=16: Not possible

X=-16: not possible

Zulf.

But couldn't the third be a zero which is not rational? That's where the long division is more useful than testing zeroes. Once you have a zero, ##x=4##, we can divide the polynomial by ##x-4## and solve the rest. It is done the same way as a long division by numbers. Here's an example how it's done: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-a-polynomial-over-z-z3.889140/#post-5595083

The reason is, that every polynomial ##p(x)=x^n+a_1x^{n-1}+\ldots +a_1x+a_0## can be written as ##p(x)=(x-z_1)\cdot \ldots \cdot (x-z_n)##. The ##z_i## are usually complex numbers, but not in our case.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I can't see the 3rd one.

Zulf.
In the following thread of yours, you have the same polynomial,

Find the factors of an equation

I wrote the following in Post #4 of that thread:
This looks to be basically same problem as in your other recent post.

You can divide ## \ x^3 -12x -16 \ ## by ##\ x−4 \ ## using polynomial long division or its short cut, synthetic division.​

Yes. You are right SammyS. Ray Vickson provided me the link for long division again discussed by fresh_42. Thanks everybody. God bless you people.If I put zero, I would get:
-16 = 0

How it can be the root of cubic eq?

Any way you are right. I would explore the long division aspect tomorrow.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Yes. You are right SammyS. Ray Vickson provided me the link for long division again discussed by fresh_42. Thanks everybody. God bless you people.If I put zero, I would get:
-16 = 0

How it can be the root of cubic eq?

Any way you are right. I would explore the long division aspect tomorrow.

Zulfi.
What was your result for dividing ##\ x^3 -12x -16 \ ## by ##\ x-4\ ## ?

zak100 said:
This is actually incorrect, but likely is a typo.
If x = -2, the value of the expression ##x^3 - 12x - 16## is ##(-2)^3 - 12(-2) - 16 = -8 + 24 - 16 = 0.
You wrote -+24, which is the same as -24.

Hi Sammys, fresh_42,and Ray Vickson

I have the eq :

X^3 -12x -16

X^2 term is missing. So I would add 0x^2 in the above:

X^3 +0x^2-12x -16 divided by the obtained factor x-4

x-4)x^3 +0x^2-12x -16(x^2+4x +4
x^3-4x^2
- +
------------------
4x^2-12x
4x^2-16x
- +
------------------------
4x -16
4x-16
- +

root = -2

Thanks.
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi Sammys, fresh_42,and Ray Vickson

I have the eq :

X^3 -12x -16

X^2 term is missing. So I would add 0x^2 in the above:

X^3 +0x^2-12x -16 divided by the obtained factor x-4

x-4)x^3 +0x^2-12x -16(x^2+4x +4
x^3-4x^2
- +
------------------
4x^2-12x
4x^2-16x
- +
------------------------
4x -16
4x-16
- +

root = -2
x=-2 is double root of the equation x^2+4x +4=0. It can happen that some of the eigenvalues are equal.
It means that the original expression can be factorized as x^3 -12x -16=(x+2)[x+2)(x-4).

Hi Mark,
Now I have to find out the eigen vectors. It says:
Once the eigenvalues of a matrix (A) have been found, we can find the eigenvectors
by Gaussian Elimination.
• STEP 1: For each eigenvalue λ, we have
(A − λI)x = 0,
where x is the eigenvector associated with eigenvalue .
• STEP 2: Find x by Gaussian elimination. That is, convert the augmented matrix
(A − λI)X = 0
to row echelon form, and solve the resulting linear system by back substitution.

Right side is still zero. Do we have to convert into echelon form by using augmented matrix.

Zufi.

Hi Mark,
Case 1: _ = 4
ned of augmented matrix for findin the eigen value.jpg

We must find vectors x which satisfy (A − λI)x = 0.
Now they are using the augmented matrix (attached). Is there any way to avoid it

Zulfi.

Attachments

• ned of augmented matrix for findin the eigen value.jpg
    ned of augmented matrix for findin the eigen value.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 445
zak100 said:
Now they are using the augmented matrix (attached). Is there any way to avoid it
Augmented matrices are not needed. Notice that after it says "Construct the augmented matrix ..." every augmented matrix has a fourth column of all zeroes. None of the row operations can possibly change this column, so what's the sense in keeping it? If you start with the un-augmented matrix in this section, doing the same row operations as shown in the screen shot will produce a 3 x 3 matrix that is the same as the first three columns in the last matrix they show.
The augmented matrix they show represents the matrix equation ##(A - 4I)\vec x = \vec 0##. Since the right side is the zero vector, you don't need to use an augmented matrix.

@zak100, if you have more questions about eigenvalues and eigenvectors, please post them in the Calculus & Beyond section, not in the Precalculus section. Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are typically well beyond precalculus topics.

Related to Finding Eigenvalues: List of possible solutions for Lambda

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in mathematics?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that represent the scalar values associated with a matrix. They are important because they help us understand the behavior and properties of a matrix, and can be used to solve various mathematical problems such as finding solutions to systems of equations, determining stability of systems, and analyzing data through techniques like principal component analysis.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you can start by finding the determinant of the matrix. Then, set the determinant equal to zero and solve for the variable lambda. The values of lambda that satisfy this equation are the eigenvalues for the matrix. Alternatively, you can use software or online tools to calculate the eigenvalues for you.

3. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to eigenvalues. They represent the direction in which a matrix stretches or shrinks when multiplied by the eigenvalue. The eigenvalue serves as the scalar value that determines the magnitude of the transformation. Together, eigenvectors and eigenvalues provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of a matrix.

4. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is often the case when dealing with real-world data or systems with complex dynamics. Complex eigenvalues can represent oscillatory or rotational behavior in a matrix, and they can still be used to solve equations and analyze the properties of the matrix.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding eigenvalues?

Yes, there are many practical applications for finding eigenvalues. Some examples include image and signal processing, quantum mechanics, and population dynamics. Eigenvalues can also be used in machine learning algorithms and data analysis techniques to extract important features or reduce the dimensionality of data.