Find the equation of state of each gas

curious_mind
Homework Statement
Consider three gases with ##(P_1,V_1),(P_2,V_2)## and ##(P_3,V_3)##. It is found that when the first two are in equilibrium the following condition is satisfied: ##P_1V_1 =\left(P_2 +\frac{a}{V_2^2}\right)(V_2 −b)##, while the equation satisfied when the first and the last are in equilibrium is ##P_3(V_3 −c)=P_1V_1 e^{\frac{−d}{V_3P_1V_1}}##. Find the respective equations of state and identify them.
Relevant Equations
Equation of states of gas at temperature T##f(P,V,T)=0##
The problem is from the book "The Principles of Thermodynamics" by ND Hari dass.

It looks trivial problem, but I am not able to form logical arguements for going into next step.

For example, It seems like first gas has equation of state ##PV =nRT## and second has ## \left( P_2 +\frac{a}{V_2^2} \right) (V_2 −b) = nRT ##
But I cannot straightforward assume Right hand side of equation of state to be simply ##nRT## in general right ? So what could be valid way to proceed from thermodynamical laws ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the relationships to hold across all T, each relationship must be of the form (first expression =second expression = some function of T).

Likes curious_mind
If we equate all three relations, then it will be valid only if all three gases in equilibrium, which is not required to be found. We require to find all three gases equation of state separately, at different temperatures.

Also, how can we say that it individual ##f(P,V)## is some function of ##T## ONLY?. Right hand side of equation of state might containt terms like ##\cos (TVe^P)## etc etc or something, in general - right m? Or am I missing something very fundamental?

Last edited:
curious_mind said:
If we equate all three relations
I did not say that. The "some function of T" does not have to be the same for each.
curious_mind said:
Also, how can we say that it individual ##f(P,V)## is some function of ##T## ONLY?.
It is the same principle as "separation of variables" in PDEs.
We know that ##T_1=g_1(P_1,V_1)## and ##T_2=g_2(P_2,V_12)## for some functions ##g_1, g_2##. So at any given temperature T we know ##g_1(P_1,V_1)=g_2(P_2,V_12)##. And these are the forms you are given.

Likes curious_mind
It seems to me your original approach was correct, except I would assume the V is molar volume rather than volume itself, so you would get rid of the n's in the equations.

Likes curious_mind

Related to Find the equation of state of each gas

1. What is an equation of state for a gas?

An equation of state for a gas is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a gas in terms of its physical properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

2. How do you determine the equation of state for a gas?

The equation of state for a gas can be determined through experimentation, using data collected from various conditions of temperature and pressure. This data is then used to fit a mathematical equation that accurately describes the behavior of the gas.

3. What are the different types of equations of state for gases?

There are several different types of equations of state for gases, including the ideal gas law, van der Waals equation, and the Redlich-Kwong equation. Each equation has its own set of assumptions and limitations.

4. Why is it important to know the equation of state for a gas?

Knowing the equation of state for a gas is important for understanding and predicting its behavior in different conditions. This information is essential for a wide range of applications, from industrial processes to the study of atmospheric gases.

5. Can the equation of state for a gas change?

Yes, the equation of state for a gas can change depending on the conditions it is subjected to. For example, at high pressures or low temperatures, the behavior of a gas may deviate from the ideal gas law and require a different equation of state to accurately describe its behavior.