Find the change in entropy for an ideal gas undergoing a reversible process

In summary: So the corrected version is:$$S = \frac{3}{2}nC_V \int^{T_2}_{T_1} \frac{1}{T}dT + nR\int^{V_2}_{V_1} \frac{1}{V}dV$$In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the first law of thermodynamics and the equation for an ideal gas to find the expression for entropy. It is important to note that the expression for internal energy, $$U = \frac{3}{2}nkT$$, is only valid for a monatomic ideal gas and requires a correction for a more general expression. Additionally, the second term in the equation for entropy is missing
mcas
Homework Statement
An ideal gad had a temperature ##T_1## and volume ##V_1##. As a result of a reversible process, these quantities changed to ##T_2## and ##V_2##. Find the change in entropy.
Relevant Equations
##pV=nRT##
##\delta Q = TdS##
##dU = \delta Q + \delta W##
##U = \frac{3}{2}kT##
We know that
$$dU=\delta Q + \delta W$$
$$dU = TdS - pdV$$
So from this:
$$dS = \frac{1}{T}dU + \frac{1}{T}pdV \ (*)$$
For an ideal gas:
$$dU = \frac{3}{2}nkdT$$
Plugging that into (*) and also from ##p=\frac{nRT}{V}## we get:
$$S = \frac{3}{2}nk \int^{T_2}_{T_1} \frac{1}{T}dT + R\int^{V_2}_{V_1} \frac{1}{V}dV$$

And so on...

Is this the correct approach to solve this problem? I'm not really sure because I'm still new to thermodynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks good. A couple of things, though.

mcas said:
##U = \frac{3}{2}kT##
This equation is for a monatomic ideal gas and it's missing a factor of ##N## (the number of molecules). But the question does not specify that the gas is monatomic. So, you'll need a more general expression for ##U## (usually expressed in terms of the number of moles ##n##, the molar heat capacity at constant volume, ##C_V##, and ##T##).

$$S = \frac{3}{2}nk \int^{T_2}_{T_1} \frac{1}{T}dT + R\int^{V_2}_{V_1} \frac{1}{V}dV$$
The first term should be corrected according to the remarks above. The second term is missing a factor. Can you spot it?

Likes etotheipi and mcas
TSny said:
So, you'll need a more general expression for ##U## (usually expressed in terms of the number of moles ##n##, the molar heat capacity at constant volume, ##C_V##, and ##T##).
Ok, thank you. I think I know which one :smile:

TSny said:
The first term should be corrected according to the remarks above. The second term is missing a factor. Can you spot it?
I missed ##n##, right?

Thank you, this means very much! Now I have the motivation to do more problems 😁

Likes etotheipi and TSny
mcas said:
I missed ##n##, right?
Yes.

Likes mcas

1. What is entropy and why is it important in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In thermodynamics, it is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the direction and efficiency of energy transfer and transformation. It is also closely related to the concept of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time.

2. What is an ideal gas and how does it behave in a reversible process?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature. In a reversible process, an ideal gas behaves in a way that its internal energy and entropy remain constant. This means that any change in entropy is solely due to changes in the system's volume and temperature.

3. How do you calculate the change in entropy for an ideal gas undergoing a reversible process?

The change in entropy for an ideal gas undergoing a reversible process can be calculated using the equation ΔS = nCln(T2/T1), where ΔS is the change in entropy, n is the number of moles of gas, C is the molar heat capacity at constant volume, and T1 and T2 are the initial and final temperatures, respectively.

4. What factors affect the change in entropy for an ideal gas in a reversible process?

The change in entropy for an ideal gas in a reversible process is affected by the number of moles of gas, the molar heat capacity, and the temperature change. Additionally, the nature of the process (e.g. isothermal, adiabatic, isobaric) and the initial and final states of the gas also play a role in determining the change in entropy.

5. Can the change in entropy for an ideal gas in a reversible process be negative?

No, the change in entropy for an ideal gas in a reversible process cannot be negative. This is because the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase or remain constant. Therefore, the change in entropy for an ideal gas in a reversible process will always be positive or zero.