Find the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact

In summary: Yes, that is correct. The CoM of disk 1 is rotating about disk 2, that’s how you get acp = Vcm2/(2R) which you used in “j)” (but didn’t share that step with us). This rotation rate is ω = Vcm/(2R)
Nicolas Gallardo

Homework Statement

A mobile disk of radius R and mass M is moving above another immobile vertical disk of the same radius.
Initially the mobile disk is at rest at the highest point above the immobile disk and then it starts rolling without slipping. Assuming the mobile disk never slips, find the Θ for witch both disks are no longer in contact.
Sin título.jpg

Homework Equations

Vcm=WR

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I tried:

First the CoM of Disk 1(mobile disk)is at distance 2R from the origin(for me the origin is the CoM of Disk 2(immobile disk)
The Disk 1 is going to be at distance 2RcosΘ when they are no longer in contact.

In the other hand, we know both objects will no longer be in contact when N=0
After working with Newton's Secod Law :
i) mgsinΘ=0
j)N-mgcosΘ=macp⇒ mgcosΘ=mv2/2R ⇒ (Vcm)2=2RgcosΘ

With this information I can apply conservation of energy:

Initially we have : mg2R
finally we are going to have: 1/2(Iw^2) + 1/2(m(vcm)2)) + mg2RcosΘ

⇒ mg2R = 1/2(MR^2)(Vcm2)/R2) + 1/2(m2RgcosΘ) + mg2RcosΘ
⇒ mg2R = 1/2(MR^2)2RgcosΘ/R2) + 1/2(m2RgcosΘ) + mg2RcosΘ
⇒ 2= cosΘ + cosΘ + 2cosΘ

⇒ Θ=1/2... but the right answer is Θ= 4/7 what am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolas Gallardo said:
First the CoM of Disk 1(mobile disk)is at distance 2R from the origin(for me the origin is the CoM of Disk 2(immobile disk)
The Disk 1 is going to be at distance 2RcosΘ when they are no longer in contact.

I don't follow that.

I get they start with the COM separated by 2R. However as theta increases Cos(theta) becomes less than 1. So you are saying they somehow get closer together than 2R.

I haven't looked at the rest yet as it's gone midnight local time.

zx.jpg

CWatters said:
I don't follow that.

I get they start with the COM separated by 2R. However as theta increases Cos(theta) becomes less than 1. So you are saying they somehow get closer together than 2R.

I haven't looked at the rest yet as it's gone midnight local time.

Yes initially the CoM are separated by 2R. But when they are about to separate the distance beween the origin(by origin I mean the reference to apply conservation of energy) and the CoM of Disk 1 is 2RcosΘ (trigonometry) may be I did my calculations wrong, but I did this just to apply conservation of energy, I needed to know the final position of the CoM of disk 1..

Attachments

• zx.jpg
    zx.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Nicolas Gallardo said:
After working with Newton's Secod Law :
i) mgsenΘ=0
Assuming you meant sin not sen, its still nonsense to me, maybe you could explain where it comes from. (Although it clearly implies Θ = 0... which is not good.)

Other than that there’s only one mistake I see, you used I = mR^2 which applies for a ring not a disk.

(And technically the distance between the centers stays 2R until after contact is lost; just the vertical component shortens.)

You should be clear though that your “w” is V/R and not V/(2R) and justify why that is the correct rate. (The centripetal ω was V/(2R) so there’s two rates involved.)

Nathanael said:
Assuming you meant sin not sen, its still nonsense to me, maybe you could explain where it comes from. (Although it clearly implies Θ = 0... which is not good.)

Other than that there’s only one mistake I see, you used I = mR^2 which applies for a ring not a disk.

(And technically the distance between the centers stays 2R until after contact is lost; just the vertical component shortens.)
Nathanael said:
You should be clear though that your “w” is V/R and not V/(2R) and justify why that is the correct rate. (The centripetal ω was V/(2R) so there’s two rates involved.)
That is the correct rate beacuse the CoM of disk 1 is at 2R from the CoM of disk 2, and disk1 is rotating with respect to the CoM of disk 2?

Nathanael said:

mgsen(theta)=0 is beacuse of how I used my coordinates system. There is no acceleration in the i-coordinate. I did it this way, so I only had to descompose the weight.

Nicolas Gallardo said:
That is the correct rate beacuse the CoM of disk 1 is at 2R from the CoM of disk 2, and disk1 is rotating with respect to the CoM of disk 2?
You could say the CoM of disk 1 is rotating about disk 2, that’s how you get acp = Vcm2/(2R) which you used in “j)” (but didn’t share that step with us). This rotation rate is ω = Vcm/(2R)

But you can also say the disk is rotating about its center of mass at a rate w. This w is the one you want to use in the rotational part of the energy equation. You input w=2ω instead of w=ω. Did you do this on purpose? Why?

Nathanael said:
You could say the CoM of disk 1 is rotating about disk 2, that’s how you get acp = Vcm2/(2R) which you used in “j)” (but didn’t share that step with us). This rotation rate is ω = Vcm/(2R)

But you can also say the disk is rotating about its center of mass at a rate w. This w is the one you want to use in the rotational part of the energy equation. You input w=2ω instead of w=ω. Did you do this on purpose? Why?
Firstly I would like to apologize for my lack of information given. In the other hand I did not input ''w=2ω'' anywhere, may be it was a typo mistake. I just used that the rotational energy on a solid is Krot=(1/2)Iω2.
Anyway thanks to you, I could find the answer. So I appreaciate your help. Sorry if it was a little confusing, english is not my native lengauge and I am doing my best for you to understand me.

Nicolas Gallardo said:
I did not input ''w=2ω'' anywhere, may be it was a typo mistake. I just used that the rotational energy on a solid is Krot=(1/2)Iω2.
But if we have ω=Vcm/(2R) as above, then the correct answer should use Krot = (1/2)I(2ω)2 because the disk rotates about its center at twice the rate that its center rotates about the other center.
It’s part of the problem to realize that, but I guess you just coincidentally left out the 1/2 factor.

Sometimes we get the right answer the wrong way. It’s important to make each step clear.

Related to Find the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact?

The purpose of finding this angle is to determine the maximum possible angle at which the two disks can be rotated before they lose contact with each other. This information can be useful in designing mechanical systems or understanding the limitations of certain structures.

2. How is the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact calculated?

The angle is typically calculated using trigonometric equations and principles, such as the law of cosines or the Pythagorean theorem. The specific method used may depend on the specific geometry and conditions of the problem.

3. What factors can affect the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact?

The angle can be influenced by various factors such as the size and shape of the disks, the material they are made of, the surface roughness, and the amount of force or pressure applied to the disks.

4. Can the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, it is possible for the angle to be greater than 90 degrees. This can occur when the disks are stacked on top of each other or when one disk is resting on the side of the other disk rather than on top of it.

5. How can the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of finding the angle for which both disks are no longer in contact can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to analyze the stability and strength of structures and to optimize the design of mechanical systems.