A thin disk rolls without slipping

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a thin disk rolling without slipping on a horizontal plane while being constrained to remain vertical. The angles ψ and θ are defined and it is shown that the center of mass of the disk moves in a circle if dψ/dt(t=0) ≠ 0 and in a straight line if dψ/dt(t=0) = 0. The problem is approached using Lagrange's equations and the constraints equations f1 and f2. The formalism of Goldstein's 3rd edition is used, but it is shown that this approach can be problematic due to errors pointed out in a paper by J. Ray. It is suggested to use the formalism from the
Tomtam

Homework Statement

A very thin disk of mass m and radius R rolls without slipping along a horizontal plane. The disk is constrained to remain vertical. Let ψ be the angle between the plane of the disk and the x-axis of a fixed frame and θ be the angle measuring spinning of the disk about its center. By neglecting the gravitational force, show that the center of mass of the disk moves in a circle, if dψ/dt(t=0) ≠ 0 ; and along a straight line, if dψ/dt(t=0) = 0.

Homework Equations

Iθ and Iψ are moment of inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this problem, but I couldn't find any clues from what I've got.
what I've got are

constrain equations:

f1 = dx/dt - R(dθ/dt)cosψ = 0
f2 = dy/dt - R(dθ/dt)sinψ = 0

Lagrangian :

L = ½m(dx/dt)2+½m(dy/dt)2+½Iθ(dθ/dt)2+½Iψ(dψ/dt)2

Lagrange's equations:

m(d2x/dt2) = -(dλ1/dt)
m(d2y/dt2) = -(dλ2/dt)
Iψ(d2ψ/dt2) = λ1R(dθ/dt)sinψ-λ2R(dθ/dt)cosψ
Iθ(d2θ/dt2) = -λ1R(dψ/dt)sinψ+(dλ1/dt)Rcosψ+λ2R(dψ/dt)cosψ+(dλ2/dt)Rsinψ

I don't know what I should do next.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2560-09-11 at 10.12.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2560-09-11 at 10.12.32 PM.png
    39 KB · Views: 569
Physics news on Phys.org
Tomtam said:
constrain equations:

f1 = dx/dt - R(dθ/dt)cosψ = 0
f2 = dy/dt - R(dθ/dt)sinψ = 0

Lagrangian :

L = ½m(dx/dt)2+½m(dy/dt)2+½Iθ(dθ/dt)2+½Iψ(dψ/dt)2
Looks good to me so far.

Lagrange's equations:

m(d2x/dt2) = -(dλ1/dt)
m(d2y/dt2) = -(dλ2/dt)
Iψ(d2ψ/dt2) = λ1R(dθ/dt)sinψ-λ2R(dθ/dt)cosψ
Iθ(d2θ/dt2) = -λ1R(dψ/dt)sinψ+(dλ1/dt)Rcosψ+λ2R(dψ/dt)cosψ+(dλ2/dt)Rsinψ
None of these equations looks correct to me. How did you get time derivatives of the λ's in the first, second, and fourth equations? The coefficients of the λ's in the last two equations are incorrect.

Review the mathematical formalism of setting up Lagrange's equations with constraints. A very brief summary is here
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~kamman/Me659LagrangesEquationsConstraints.pdf
See equation (2) in the link.

I followed methods from Classical Mechanics 3rd , Goldstein poole & Safko . page 47. Thank for your suggestion.

Tomtam said:
I followed methods from Classical Mechanics 3rd , Goldstein poole & Safko . page 47. Thank for your suggestion.
OK. This is interesting. I'm an old-timer who used the first edition of Goldstein where the formalism is developed differently in the section on Lagrange's equations with constraints. In the first edition it is assumed that the constraints can be put into the form of equation (1) of the link that I gave in post #2. Then Goldstein derives essentially equation (3) of the link. (You can set the nonconservative forces ##\left(F_{q_k} \right)_{nc}## equal to zero in your problem.) Note that this equation does not involve time derivatives of the λ's. Unfortunately (3) is not derived in the third edition.

In the 3rd edition, it appears that they are considering more general constraint equations that cannot necessarily be put into the form of equation (1) of the link. They then derive more complicated equations of motion that involve time derivatives of the λ's.

I'm a little surprised that the 3rd edition does not contain the simpler equation (3) of the link for constraints of the form (1). In both editions of Goldstein, there is an example of a hoop rolling down an inclined plane. This example is word-for-word the same in both editions. Can you follow that example based on the formalism in the 3rd edition? It appears to me that in both editions the solution uses the formalism of the 1st edition, where use is made of equation (3) of the link. So, I would think a student would have a hard time following this example in the 3rd edition. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious whereby equation (3) is easily obtained from the equations of motion as presented in the 3rd edition of Goldstein. But I don't see it off-hand.

[EDIT: For the hoop example, the constraint equation ##r d\theta = dx## can be integrated and arranged as ##r \theta - x +C = 0##, where ##C## is a constant of integration. Then you can easily use the formalism of the 3rd edition with this integrated equation as the constraint. But, the solution in the 3rd edition does not mention this. It sticks with the differential form ##r d\theta = dx## and uses the equivalent of equation (3) of the link. In your problem, the differential form of the constraints would be ##R d\theta \cos \psi = dx## and ##R d\theta \sin \psi = dy##, which are not integrable. But the formalism of the 1st edition (or the link) can be used.]

Anyway, your problem seems to me to be much easier if you use the formalism of the 1st edition (i.e., equations (1) and (3)) of the link.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
In the 3rd edition there is a footnote referencing a paper by J. Ray in the American Journal of Physics published in 1966.

Apparently this paper was the genesis of the switch in treatment from the 1st edition. There is an example in this paper that is identical to an example in the 3rd edition of Goldstein.

What's interesting, is that a few months after this paper was published, J. Ray published an erratum in the same journal in which he states that the first paper has errors which invalidate the treatment (and therefore the treatment in Goldstein's 3rd edition). The formalism in Goldstein's 1st edition remains valid.

It is odd that the 3rd edition of Goldstein (2001) would present Ray's treatment of 1966 when Ray showed in 1966 that the treatment is not valid.

Last edited:
Likes BvU

Related to A thin disk rolls without slipping

1. What is the difference between rolling with and without slipping?

The main difference between rolling with and without slipping is the presence of static friction. When an object rolls without slipping, the point of contact between the object and the surface is at rest, meaning there is no relative motion between them. In rolling with slipping, there is relative motion between the two surfaces due to the presence of a friction force.

2. How does the shape of the object affect its rolling motion?

The shape of an object can affect its rolling motion in a few ways. A thin disk, for example, has a lower moment of inertia than a thick disk, meaning it will have a greater tendency to roll without slipping. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the object can affect its stability and ability to roll without slipping.

3. What factors determine the speed of a rolling disk?

The speed of a rolling disk is determined by several factors, including its initial velocity, the surface it is rolling on, and the presence of any external forces acting on it. In the case of a thin disk rolling without slipping, the speed can also be affected by the disk's moment of inertia and the distribution of mass within the disk.

4. Can a thin disk ever roll without slipping?

Yes, a thin disk can roll without slipping if certain conditions are met. These include having a surface with enough friction to prevent slipping, and having an appropriate initial velocity and distribution of mass within the disk to maintain rolling without slipping.

5. How does the force of gravity affect the rolling motion of a disk?

The force of gravity can affect the rolling motion of a disk in a few ways. It can provide a torque that causes the disk to accelerate or decelerate its rolling motion, and it can also affect the normal force between the disk and the surface it is rolling on. In the case of a thin disk rolling without slipping, the force of gravity will not affect the rolling motion as long as the disk maintains its rolling without slipping condition.